Morgan Greer or Connolly?

G6

Morgan Greer

Don't have the Connolly, but I agree with what has been said too Christiany and too Corny in my opinion.

There were threads about MG vs. Aquarian vs. Hanson Roberts vs. Connolly, but I can't think of their titles off the top of my head.

I prefer the MG over all of those.

However, if you are looking for something not as graphic in style as the MG, perhaps the Sharman-Caselli deck:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sharman-caselli/

FaintlyMacabre

Tarot Passages has a review that doesn't show cards but mentions some changes and renaming that was done. It is true that there are borders if that is a big deal to you.

Diana

gregory

There are three reviews on tarotpassages. None is a rave.

(The review there of the MG, on the other hand, is more enthusiastic.)

Darkmage

I have both. My MG is the satin finish one as well. I got it secondhand, so the box is covered in clear tape to keep it together and it's missing the LWB.

My Connolly I got secondhand as well, but it's in near mint condition.

Connolly is more for my collection than anything else. It's kitschy and I can understand why people don't like it. It's nowhere near as saccharine as a Doreen Virtue deck, though. If someone's nervous about Tarot this is a good deck to use, though I usually ease them in via playing cards.

The MG is a hoot and quite popular among my friends as a reading deck. The images are colourful and vibrant. I don't care if a deck has borders or not, but this one is borderless. It gives a sense of close-up shots which may or may not be what you want. I've heard mixed reviews on the tinned version though I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Either one is a good choice, though I lean more heavily towards MG. If you can find both for a good price, pick them both up. You can always sell the one you don't like.

MoonGypsy

The MG was the 2nd deck i ever purchased way back in the day. :p
It is Vibrantly colored, easy to read, BORDERLESS, and admittedly--very
nostalgic to moi. ;) So it is very difficult for me to compare to the Connolly, which
i did have at one time. The Morgan Greer is one of the very few decks i have never
been without in the past 30 years or more. :love:
There is a definite audience for the Connolly...but when push comes to shove, there is
still no contest in my not so humble opinion. :D It is hands down--Morgan Greer!
Oh my, even holding my Morgan Greer evokes so many wonderful memories for me!

tapestry

I would humbly echo everyone's sentiments in that I would go with Morgan Greer all day long before the Connolly. There is just something very special, timeless, endearing as well as enduring about the MG...... :)

FaintlyMacabre

It was Michele Jackson's review at Tarot Passages where I read about the name changes in the cards.

I think you just have to look and decide for yourself. They are two very different decks. Suddenly there is a love affair with the MG going around. It has more nudity; more men with big mustaches. Maybe some people wouldn't like that. (No nude men with big mustaches however.)

Diana

MissNine

Tarot Passages has a review that doesn't show cards but mentions some changes and renaming that was done. It is true that there are borders if that is a big deal to you.

Diana

I'm sorry but I don't follow. Which changes are you referring to?

MissNine

I would humbly echo everyone's sentiments in that I would go with Morgan Greer all day long before the Connolly. There is just something very special, timeless, endearing as well as enduring about the MG...... :)

I appreciate your input, tapestry, but can you please elaborate on your reasoning for picking this deck over Connolly? What is "special" or "timeless" about the MG?

I don't have access to either deck, so I'd like to know, from readers' perspectives, why they'd choose one deck over the other. I really appreciate everyone mwho took the time to come to this thread and post their opinions. You all have had time working with both decks, which puts you in a great position to explain why it is one deck is favored over the other.

I really appreciate up it elaboration. :)

MissNine

It was Michele Jackson's review at Tarot Passages where I read about the name changes in the cards.

I think you just have to look and decide for yourself. They are two very different decks. Suddenly there is a love affair with the MG going around. It has more nudity; more men with big mustaches. Maybe some people wouldn't like that. (No nude men with big mustaches however.)

Diana
Can you please give a link to this? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.