Morgan Greer or Connolly?

MissNine

Don't have the Connolly, but I agree with what has been said too Christiany and too Corny in my opinion.

There were threads about MG vs. Aquarian vs. Hanson Roberts vs. Connolly, but I can't think of their titles off the top of my head.

I prefer the MG over all of those.

However, if you are looking for something not as graphic in style as the MG, perhaps the Sharman-Caselli deck:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sharman-caselli/
Excellent, G6! I'll have to look more into that deck as well. Never heard of it.

I looked at the Lovers card in the MG and it bothers me. I want to call the creator and ask them to give the lady a razor and give her girly parts a 2010s overhaul, if you know what I mean. Playboy did the same for their models through the years and I think the 70s gals were foxes for their time, but to stay current, the models have had to do some shaving as well. I think I'd get distracted looking at that card if it was in a spread. My favorite deck is the gilded and that Lovers card shows nothing, but still took a while to get used to.

gregory

Can you please give a link to this? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
http://www.tarotpassages.com/deckrev.html

They are all there. EXCELLENT site.

Excellent, G6! I'll have to look more into that deck as well. Never heard of it.

I looked at the Lovers card in the MG and it bothers me. I want to call the creator and ask them to give the lady a razor and give girly her parts a 2010s overhaul, if you know what I mean. Playboy did the same for their models through the years and I think the 70s gals were foxes for their time, but to stay current, the models have had to do some shaving as well. I think I'd get distracted looking at that card if it was in a spread. My favorite deck is the gilded and that Lovers card shows nothing, but still took a while to get used to.
I'm sorry - but I loathe the very idea of "cleaning up" older decks to suit modern "sensibilities" (because I can't see it as taste - there are a LOT of people who think waxing - or indeed pubic shaving - is plain silly.) What on EARTH is wrong with this ? Hardly hairy at all, really, anyway. If you want to be REALLY fussy - it could even just be a shadow. But NORMAL women are NOT shaved to within an inch of their lives - that's something they do to themselves, like putting on lipstick and eye shadow. And who on earth ever said the lovers had to be "foxy" ?

Would you sanitise art works in a gallery ?

Clearly - this deck isn't going to be for you though. Your loss.

Sulis

I looked at the Lovers card in the MG and it bothers me. I want to call the creator and ask them to give the lady a razor and give girly her parts a 2010s overhaul, if you know what I mean. Playboy did the same for their models through the years and I think the 70s gals were foxes for their time, but to stay current, the models have had to do some shaving as well. I think I'd get distracted looking at that card if it was in a spread. My favorite deck is the gilded and that Lovers card shows nothing, but still took a while to get used to.
I can't believe that you're being serious with this comment but if you are then the Morgan Greer is not the deck for you.
Go with the Connolly, although personally I find the comparison of these 2 decks strange.. If nudity bothers you and if natural pubic hair bothers you then there are much better decks that are RWS based out there than that one.

You can see all of the cards in the Morgan Greer deck here (this website has permission to print the complete deck): http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/morgangreer/index.html

tapestry

I appreciate your input, tapestry, but can you please elaborate on your reasoning for picking this deck over Connolly? What is "special" or "timeless" about the MG?

I admittedly don't have the Connolly and never did, however, recently I was thinking of getting it, but when I looked at the images, it just didn't appeal to me, so I didn't buy it after all....seems too perfect or sanitized and, like everyone else has mentioned, too much of a Christian theme to it....regarding the MG, to me it just seems to radiate an innocence of a different time which is why I think it's special and timeless.....plus, having come of age in the 70's, maybe that's another reason why it just seems to resonate with me so much.....I hope that explanation helps.... :)

MissNine

I can't believe that you're being serious with this comment but if you are then the Morgan Greer is not the deck for you.
Go with the Connolly, although personally I find the comparison of these 2 decks strange.. If nudity bothers you and if natural pubic hair bothers you then there are much better decks that are RWS based out there than that one. The Sharman-Caselli, mentioned above is one.

You can see all of the cards in the Morgan Greer deck here (this website has permission to print the complete deck): http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/morgangreer/index.html

I read for family and we are Catholic, so modesty is really important.
I know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the Lovers card in the MG. every deck is artwork in the form of the artist, so not every deck will connect with everyone. I'm serious about my comment. I studied offensive speech in school and playboy/hustler magazines were both topics. In order to keep up with the times, adult magazines had to adapt their material and women centerfolds became clean shaven. Otherwise, the nude pictures of women wouldn't be as desirable to consumers. It's an interesting reflection of the changing times in the US and changing view of what is considered "sexy". So, the MG deck is definitely a marker to me of the evolution of sexual trends in the last decades.

Thank you for the link. I'll check out the cards in their entirety.

tapestry

Based on the above, I think the Connolly would definitely be a better choice for you then, MissNine.......guess that's why there's vanilla and chocolate! :)

gregory

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the Lovers card in the MG. every deck is artwork in the form of the artist, so not every deck will connect with everyone. I'm serious about my comment. I studied offensive speech in school and playboy/hustler magazines were both topics. In order to keep up with the times, adult magazines had to adapt their material and women centerfolds became clean shaven. Otherwise, the nude pictures of women wouldn't be as desirable to consumers.
Thank you for the link. I'll check out the cards in their entirety.
That's as may be - but then don't use the deck - don't spoil it for those who like to see a woman as she is.
I CANNOT see why clean shaven crotches are in any way more acceptable than not. I'd have thought Catholics would prefer women to be for real, not tarted up as sex objects.

MissNine

Hi everyone. Please appreciate that I'm asking for why one deck is more favored than the other. One poster mentioned the Lovers card in the MG and I looked it up and then posted my opinion. I'd given my opinion on what I thought of the card as a part of the process of figuring out why I would choose one deck over the other. Some posters have complained of the Connolly deck as being too Christian and not their cup of tea. I explained why the Lovers card seems not a good fit for me. I'm not spoiling anyone's opinion of any card, just as someone posting that the Connolly's black lines are not their cup of tea spoil another's love for that deck.

Please respect my opinion as I respect yours. This isn't a discussion as to the veracity of my opinion. Please remember I appreciate your opinions on the decks in comparison and also certain cards. In that same way of respect, please refrain from criticism of posters personal religious preference and opinions on which decks they favor. Thank you for your kindness.

gregory

I do respect your opinion - but you did go on to say that the card would in some way be more acceptable to you, and to Catholics, if the woman had shaved below. I simply cannot get that, seriously. I really wouldn't think Catholics who wanted modesty would even be particularly in favour of shaved crotches. If I'm wrong - fair enough.

But I do NOT believe art should be sanitised - even if it is "only " on a tarot card. I am still well cross about the Yeager and the Rohrig. Those who don't want to see particular art works don't have to look at them.

Clearly the MG is NOT the deck for you, seriously. Get the Connolly. Or actually - as it is AWFULLY religious, you might consider something like Hanson Roberts instead, to be more Tarot and less church.

Padma

I have both, and though I do like the MG, I find I prefer the Connolly. Everyone says it is kitschy and childish - but guess what? It was Connolly's then 17 year old son, Peter Paul, who did the paintings for the deck. Not really childish if you regard his age, and his talent was, I thought, fairly good.

I read publicly with this deck for several years. I always offered a choice of 6 decks to people, and this is the one they always picked! It is not offensive in any way, and if you are reading for people who are Christian, they may be much more comfortable with this than the MG. I always thought it gave very straightforward and precise readings.

The fact that the Death card is called Transition, and the Devil card is called Materialism, doesn't take anything away from the cards. And in fact, the public seemed way less put off or frightened by them. In fact, I thought it was nice to have a Death card that didn't have a skellie in it! :p and the title change illustrates the meanings of the two cards quite well.

One of the benefits of the Connolly is that the colours used in each card give you an immediate idea of the "feel" behind the meaning, and when you are scanning a large spread, those colours jump out easily and gives you an eagle's eye view, so to speak, of the reading. Gives a good overview, an immediate visual impact.

The books that are affiliated to the deck (the basic and the journeyman's guide) are very well written, and if you are Christian the references will not bother you. Connolly is Catholic, and so she often touches on that, but her books are really instructive, and contain some great spreads, including one that uses the whole deck.

If you buy the Connolly, try to get the Belgian printed one, the cardstock is lovely :)

ETA one of the things I HATE about the MG is that the Death card's skeleton has a priest's "dog collar" - or so it looks.

ETA x2 - the only Christian vibe card in the Connolly is the 9 of Cups, featuring Jesus at the last supper.