Morgan Greer or Connolly?

MissNine

I have both, and though I do like the MG, I find I prefer the Connolly. Everyone says it is kitschy and childish - but guess what? It was Connolly's then 17 year old son, Peter Paul, who did the paintings for the deck. Not really childish if you regard his age, and his talent was, I thought, fairly good.

I read publicly with this deck for several years. I always offered a choice of 6 decks to people, and this is the one they always picked! It is not offensive in any way, and if you are reading for people who are Christian, they may be much more comfortable with this than the MG. I always thought it gave very straightforward and precise readings.

The fact that the Death card is called Transition, and the Devil card is called Materialism, doesn't take anything away from the cards. And in fact, the public seemed way less put off or frightened by them. In fact, I thought it was nice to have a Death card that didn't have a skellie in it! :p and the title change illustrates the meanings of the two cards quite well.

One of the benefits of the Connolly is that the colours used in each card give you an immediate idea of the "feel" behind the meaning, and when you are scanning a large spread, those colours jump out easily and gives you an eagle's eye view, so to speak, of the reading. Gives a good overview, an immediate visual impact.

The books that are affiliated to the deck (the basic and the journeyman's guide) are very well written, and if you are Christian the references will not bother you. Connolly is Catholic, and so she often touches on that, but her books are really instructive, and contain some great spreads, including one that uses the whole deck.

If you buy the Connolly, try to get the Belgian printed one, the cardstock is lovely :)

ETA one of the things I HATE about the MG is that the Death card's skeleton has a priest's "dog collar" - or so it looks.

ETA x2 - the only Christian vibe card in the Connolly is the 9 of Cups, featuring Jesus at the last supper.

Thank you for this input on the Connolly, Padma.
You brought more cards to the discussion that are going to be really beneficial for me to look at. The people I read for are family, who are Catholic, as well as spiritual people who believe In a creator. I find it much the same that, like you said, people gravitate to my colorful gilded deck, versus other decks. It's lighter, so to say.

I'm not too into religious themed decks but I do like history and studying the mindset or thought into the placement and illustration on each card.

I'm going to look at the Death card you mentioned. yikes.

FaintlyMacabre

As likely I am the one who has complained the most about The Lovers, let me say I was as surprised as anyone about that particular objection. I think it is likely shading, but I think it looks like the guy's rear is hairy. My grandmother drew pants on a naked photo (not frontal) of my father. I have sometimes thought I might just take after Granny.

I know the mini Connolly has gotten excessively expensive but it was a nice little deck. The cardstock was good.

The Last Supper is a pretty major Christian vibe :) I didn't say anything bad about the Connolly deck but I did read some negative reviews about her attitude in the books that made them hard to get through. They didn't sound like a good choice for me. I think it is good to have a deck that Christians are comfortable with or even people who are just not that comfortable with pentacles and things all over.

Diana

MissNine

As likely I am the one who has complained the most about The Lovers, let me say I was as surprised as anyone about that particular objection. I think it is likely shading, but I think it looks like the guy's rear is hairy. My grandmother drew pants on a naked photo (not frontal) of my father. I have sometimes thought I might just take after Granny.

I know the mini Connolly has gotten excessively expensive but it was a nice little deck. The cardstock was good.

The Last Supper is a pretty major Christian vibe :) I didn't say anything bad about the Connolly deck but I did read some negative reviews about her attitude in the books that made them hard to get through. They didn't sound like a good choice for me. I think it is good to have a deck that Christians are comfortable with or even people who are just not that comfortable with pentacles and things all over.

Diana
Thank for your input, Diana.
To clear this up, the nudity on the MG lovers card made me uncomfortable. My comment on the pubic hair was relating to my opinion that the MG seems dated to the 70s. Being dated to the 70s is a comment other members had made to the MG. Hope that clarifies.

ETA: I'm not yet sure which deck is for me. I'm not a Christian fanatic, but I do respect the Creator. I love the Ace Of Cups in MG for the lotus. I don't like the pinky vibe in Connolly's ace of cups. So far, the input members have given, in terms of studying certain cards in both decks, has been wonderful in helping me see these decks for their messages and flavor.

Thank you again so much for your contribution. :)

PS...super weird, but when I quoted your comment, I got 2 posts -yours and the one above it- quoted. Super strange!

FaintlyMacabre

There certainly are other decks which may be more neutral. I like the Sharman-Castelli fine myself although it is very RWS (at least I think so).

There are some threads titled things like "decks that won't offend old people" or something like that. Well maybe not quite like that but nearly. At any rate, you would find listings of inoffensive decks there, I would guess. There is really a wide range.

As to Death - please correct me, but as near as I can determine, it appears that priests are buried in their garb. Therefore, I can see it having a meaning that even the ones who administer the last rites also go through that transition. Likely Billy Greer was not raised Methodist.

Diana

Padma

The reason the Death card bothered me in regard to the "dog collar" was because it seemed somehow (to me) to be making light or fun of religion, or some how ridiculing or commenting on it. While I have no personal religion myself at this stage of my life, I don't believe in ridiculing others for their religion, nor ridiculing religion in general, nor commenting on belief. (And while the Nine of Cups in the Connolly does not bother me, It also does not make me believe that God is giving me what I wish for...!)

To each their own! :) May all have their beliefs respected. And I don't think any one tarot deck is better than another, really, because art is so subjective...everyone has a different reaction to art. Hence why there are so many decks out there - one for each of our tastes, it seems. I would not want to poison someone against a deck, simply because I myself did not like it. Yes, I have my own opinion, but it might not be someone else's opinion.

I tried to give an objective view of the Connolly, as every other post here seemed to trash it.

As they say - "your mileage may vary" ;)

FaintlyMacabre

Padma,

For whatever reason, I had never even noticed the collar on the Death card or seen mention of it. That is what made me curious as to whether there might be a reason for it. It is a shame I don't work with some of the Catholics who could give their take on it.

Ok! Non-issue. Spiritual Tarot says "The Morgan-Greer card shows a skeleton...His hooded cape is clasped at the throat with a square yellow broach representing the material world." I checked my old deck and it does look like a yellow square.

Diana

feynrir

My vote goes to the Morgan Greer, but I do see the appeal of the Connolly (which I have admittedly never owned.)

The Morgan-Greer feels wise and sensual, dated and modern, personal and impersonal all at the same time! Quite an accomplishment! I use it with great success for readings regarding relationships and inner transformation. That's high praise, I think.

The Connolly is beautiful; I like bold art with distinct linework and lots of vibrant color, à la the Robin Wood (which is possibly my personal favorite RWS-derived deck). In this respect I find the deck very appealing. I think it could make a very nice working deck for the public, as others have said. I have not purchased it yet because it doesn't speak to me strongly enough, but I can't decry it :) To each their own.

Padma

Padma,

For whatever reason, I had never even noticed the collar on the Death card or seen mention of it. That is what made me curious as to whether there might be a reason for it. It is a shame I don't work with some of the Catholics who could give their take on it.

Ok! Non-issue. Spiritual Tarot says "The Morgan-Greer card shows a skeleton...His hooded cape is clasped at the throat with a square yellow broach representing the material world." I checked my old deck and it does look like a yellow square.

Diana

Thanks for that Diana - it might help me to see my MG differently :) though in my deck, it appears quite white. I know another member here at some time coloured that square in with a Sharpie marker, as it bothered him so much!

Funny, the little details that get to us!

FaintlyMacabre

Thanks for that Diana - it might help me to see my MG differently :) though in my deck, it appears quite white. I know another member here at some time coloured that square in with a Sharpie marker, as it bothered him so much!

Funny, the little details that get to us!

When I looked at the online pictures, I thought it looked like one too. But it is clearly a purple-lined cloak with this pale yellow square.

It is funny what bothers us. I was toying with going through my paper doll collection and seeing if I could dress those people ;) Let's see - something a la Mama Cass should be about right. That poor woman always looked like she was wearing a nightgown.

Diana

gregory

Thank for your input, Diana.
To clear this up, the nudity on the MG lovers card made me uncomfortable. My comment on the pubic hair was relating to my opinion that the MG seems dated to the 70s. Being dated to the 70s is a comment other members had made to the MG. Hope that clarifies.
Yes indeed it does.

But is it just nudity in that particular Lovers card that makes you uncomfortable ? Precious few tarot decks are nudity free - traditionally Star is nude, to name but one. A quick trawl on albideuter turns up a mass of nude lovers, as well as stars, and some totally uncovered Worlds.