RwS : Strategic Stickers

Rusty Neon

firemaiden said:
Well, perhaps it could be a new product altogether. A sort of hybrid?

Indeed. The RWS doesn't have to be conformed to look like a clone of a Marseilles deck. For such a hybrid, it's more a question of removing the layers of symbolism and tarot interpretation owing to 18th and 19th century occultism, the Golden Dawn, and Waite's occultic synthesis.

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
Indeed. The RWS doesn't have to be conformed to look like a clone of a Marseilles deck. For such a hybrid, it's more a question of removing the layers of symbolism and tarot interpretation owing to 18th and 19th century occultism, the Golden Dawn, and Waite's occultic synthesis.
But where will you put the stickers?

Rusty Neon

Fulgour said:
But where will you put the stickers?

Such a new hybrid deck would be beyond mere stickering. It would have to be a redrawing or, at least, require a master of Photoshop. :)

Rusty Neon

The extent of stickering needed would all depend on what the reason for the stickering is. If one wishes to erase Golden Dawn influences in the RWS deck by stickering, one would need to cover up various of the pictures in the small cards (2 to 10 of each suit) that show the influence of GD divinatory meanings not traceable to pre-GD cartomancy/taromancy sources. Stickers would also be required over various parts of the imagery in various of the other cards of the RWS deck as well. In such case, it's fair to ask: why not read with a pre-GD deck such as the Tarot de Marseille?

Talisman

Who created this deck ?

Vincent said:
. . . Firstly, there is no such thing as a "Pamela Colman Smith Tarot deck". She drew and coloured a deck that was conceived by AE Waite, who supplied the symbolism for the cards. That is why it is called the Waite-Smith, or Rider Waite Smith deck.

Unless you have some evidence to support this weird contention that Pixie Smith was responsible for the creation of the deck . . .

Do you have any evidence?

Vincent

'Lo all,

This is an old argument in these threads, and I've been slowly going back through posts in this forum. Not only did I butcher the quotes from Vincent's post here for brevity, but you all may be plumb bored with this by now.

However, there is all the evidence you need to say that Smith created this deck.

Consider the way an artist -- any artist, regardless of how much talent he may have -- must work.

Say I "conceive' an idea for a picture and commission you to draw the image. Say I want a man standing on a street corner with a single star in a nightsky overhead. And I give it to 100 different artists. Result, 100 totally different pictures.

And this wouldn't change if I explained the image I'd conceived in 10,000 explicit words. Short of actually holding the artist's hand and physically guiding every pen and brush stroke, the result will still be different images.

Try this with da Vinci and Picasso, say. Or, with a whole room full of first grade children, and I don't care how much you try to spoon feed them.

(Maybe to muddy the simplicity of the argument I'm trying to make here 'cus it would apply to any artist, but consider what Smith herself has said about her working methods. She depended on synaestheisa, and once said that when she tried to "see" an image, she would lose it.)

So, the contention that Smith created this deck is not weird at all. It is a simple fact.

Give all the credit you want to Waite for conceiving it, there is just no getting around the fact that it was Smith who created it. And had Waite chosen any other artist to bring his conception to fruition, it would have been a completely different deck, a completely different creation.

Talisman

Lillie

I forgot how much fun Vincent was...

I don't know if I would put stickers on cards or not.

I tend to just take a deck as I find it.

If justice is 8 then it's 8.
But if it is 11 in another deck, then it's 11. It don't bother me much.
Same with the 1=1 or 1=0
I really started with the GD meanings/symbols, so I suppose I am most used to that way of thinking, but I see the merits of the other way, and it is older.
But to be honest, all that tree of life stuff mostly just passes me by.
It's curious, and sometimes even interesting, but it does not really have any impact on how I use the cards.
So, yeah, I just accept them as they are, even the bits I don't like.

Cos nothings perfect, is it?

Though I have sometimes thought of taking a marker pen to the Crow magic deck, and getting rid of the keywords.
Though I have never actually done it...

Fulgour

Really it was just my old Universal that I put stickers on,
because it was my FTN-FRN reading deck and I wanted
to keep focused. I did 1500 FTN one-card readings too,
and 300 FRN 3-to-5 card readings, and all unnoticed by
the ATA administration, but so what? I wanted to read!

Now what I do is make my own boxes for my Rider decks
using matte board and decoupage~ very nice, and quiet.

Lillie

I have recently got into making cardboard boxes for decks.

Fun, isn't it!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is FTN-FRN?

As for the stickers...
Your deck, you can do whatever makes you happy with it!

you could draw happy smiley faces all over it if that is what you wanted to do!

I do think that the Pristess would look better without the B and J.

One day I will blank off the words on the Crow deck. I'll like it better like that.

Little Baron

Some of these old threads are great to read, even if you read them the first time round. Especially if you read them the first time round.

And reading through, I noticed how many members seem to no longer exist! Vincent was a hoot. If you didn't have 'evidence', he wasn't interested, lol. But he questioned stuff .. and I like that.

But yes, Talisman .. what you say makes a lot of sense, regarding the deck being Pamela Coleman Smiths, since she was the creator. I wonder if cards were re-done if they did not suit. I wonder how much time Waite observed her painting. I know little about their relationship or the creating of the RWS.

As a modern similarity, it might be interesting to know how someone like Lee worked with the artist of 'The Gay Tarot', as I asume the dynamics are quite similar (forgive me if I have got that wrong, Lee). And when we think of 'The Gay Tarot', we do not think of Lee as being secondary to the artist.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Very interesting.

LB

Lee

LittleBuddha said:
And reading through, I noticed how many members seem to no longer exist! Vincent was a hoot. If you didn't have 'evidence', he wasn't interested, lol. But he questioned stuff .. and I like that.
Hi, LB!

I actually agree with Vincent... :p On the one hand, I believe people have the right to believe whatever they want. But on the other hand, if someone states their theory as an historical fact, then refuses to provide any evidence to back it up, then continues to state it as historical fact, I do feel these statements should be challenged, otherwise some readers may form the wrong impression about what the historical facts tell us.

In general I feel history is very important. It's true that the commonly accepted view of how a specific incident happened can change, but it's important that we examine what evidence is available and think about how it might or might not be valid, rather than simply ignoring historical evidence and believing whatever we want, which would result in simply living in a fantasy land. I'm very disturbed by a tendency among some people to utterly deny historical facts and believe, for example, that the U.S. never landed on the moon. There are other, more sinister examples of this tendency which I won't specify because I'm not trying to be provocative.

It often happens that the real truth is more ambiguous, less black-and-white, and more interesting than the fantasies that people create about it. In this case, there seems to be a view developing among some members that Pamela was an angel, an intuitive artistic genius, a free spirit, who was weighed down by mean old Arthur with his paternalistic, hidebound Golden Dawn system which he imposed on Pamela's deck. This colorful theory has several problems, one of which being that Pamela was a member of the Golden Dawn. So, rather than all those GD-inspired elements being a foreign influence imposed on the deck, the evidence instead strongly implies that Pamela would have seen the GD influences as being perfectly natural. And who knows, she may indeed have added some of them herself, rather than being forced to against her will by Arthur.
I know little about their relationship or the creating of the RWS.
No one really knows, except what we can surmise from the available evidence, which consists mainly of Arthur's statements which strongly suggest that the project was initiated by him and that Pamela was commissioned to illustrate the deck according to Arthur's directions, and also Pamela's reference to the project as "a job for very little cash" (or something like that, I don't have the reference handy), which suggests she did not look upon the project as hers but rather it was a "job" she was commissioned to execute. It's certainly possible that Arthur was lying, but, like most conspiracy theories, one has to twist the facts to fit the theory to such an extent that the whole thing is really not plausible.
As a modern similarity, it might be interesting to know how someone like Lee worked with the artist of 'The Gay Tarot', as I asume the dynamics are quite similar (forgive me if I have got that wrong, Lee). And when we think of 'The Gay Tarot', we do not think of Lee as being secondary to the artist.
I wrote a verbal description for each card, describing the general scene and any particular symbolism I felt was important to include. Antonella illustrated the cards from these descriptions.

If this methodology was used by Smith and Waite (and it seems probable that it was, or something like it), then I think it's stretching things to refer to Smith as the creator. I suppose it all depends on how one defines "creator." In the case of the Gay Tarot, I decided what would be on the cards. I have the utmost admiration for Antonella's talents and I feel she contributed enormously to the project, but if someone referred to her as the creator of the deck, I would feel that this was an incorrect statement. She was not the creator. If a different artist had done the deck, it would have been a different deck but it still would have been Lee Bursten's Gay Tarot.

-- Lee