I need a tarot of Marseilles free of copyright

Byron

Hello. Does anyone know of some former harness of the tarot of Marseilles that does not have copyright for use in the writing of a book?

I know that Yoav Ben-dov release his harness, but died, I don't know if somebody stayed with copyright of yours.

Maskelyne

Ben-dov's files are still available for download at http://www.cbdtarot.com/download/. They're under a creative commons license, for non-commercial use. They're small, but can be enlarged. I'm halfway through doing a 24" poster of La Force tonight.

Zephyros

Non-commercial use probably means they can't be in used in a book.

Most of the historical Marseilles decks are, of course, copyright-free but the trick is to find images that are themselves public domain. There's a whole thing where museums can't claim copyright on a work even if they photograph it (if you take a picture of the Mona Lisa you can't claim copyright on it because the picture itself is public domain) but the trick is to find high-quality images suitable for publication.

The British Museum site has many images free for download and use, but I'm not sure how they can be used or if they're high enough quality to be reproduced in a book.

Byron

Thank you for your answers. I'm looking for a modern, Ben-Dov Conver restoration. I think I'll have to do what he did to write his book, take any other version, tweak something, change some color, and call it Byron Restoration. Or not write the book.

Zephyros

Thank you for your answers. I'm looking for a modern, Ben-Dov Conver restoration. I think I'll have to do what he did to write his book, take any other version, tweak something, change some color, and call it Byron Restoration. Or not write the book.

You should write the book, just be aware that copyright doesn't really work by tweaking stuff. If the original work can be identified then it's a derivative work subject to the same copyright limitations. Like, if you change a few colors in a deck, it doesn't make it an original work. Ben-Dov's work may look similar to other Marseilles decks, but it's completely redrawn. He certainly didn't tweak something that previously existed and put his own name on it.

But truly, if you really are looking for a modern version, then finding one that's completely copyright-free is going to be a problem. Reading your original post I thought you meant historical versions which, due to being hundreds of years old, have no problem and are freely in the public domain. But newer ones... that's a tough one.

ihcoyc

Wikimedia Commons has full sets of trumps from Noblet and Dodal, and a complete TdM deck that looks suspiciously like the Fournier painted deck.

Byron

You should write the book, just be aware that copyright doesn't really work by tweaking stuff. If the original work can be identified then it's a derivative work subject to the same copyright limitations. Like, if you change a few colors in a deck, it doesn't make it an original work. Ben-Dov's work may look similar to other Marseilles decks, but it's completely redrawn. He certainly didn't tweak something that previously existed and put his own name on it.

But truly, if you really are looking for a modern version, then finding one that's completely copyright-free is going to be a problem. Reading your original post I thought you meant historical versions which, due to being hundreds of years old, have no problem and are freely in the public domain. But newer ones... that's a tough one.

I do not wish to dwell too much on the subject because of the difficulty of the language, my language is Spanish and I must use a translator, and they are not always faithful to what is said.

With respect to new versions based on the Conver, there would be a debate about how far restorations are. There are new mallets to distinguish one from another you have to look at them with a magnifying glass.

They are imperceptible changes to attribute copyright. But it's the rules of the game, I suppose.

Many complain that there are few books on the tarot of Marseilles, only those who have written those who have reconstructed a cover, leaving the reader captive of a particular book, often of poor quality. But there is no way to write a book about Marseilles.

Each cover has the book that has written its author or someone selected by him, and whoever wants to learn to read that deck has no options.

I thought of an old deck because I have some images of an old Conver that has been exposed in this group, but they are pretty ugly. But if I could use them I would, which I now doubt I can.

(No deseo extenderme demasiado en el tema por la dificultad del idioma, me lengua es el español y debo emplear un traductor, y no siempre son fieles a lo que se dice.

Con respecto a versiones nuevas basadas en el Conver nacería un debate hasta dónde son verdderas restauraciones. Hay mazos nuevos que para distinguir uno de otro hay que mirarlos con lupa.

Son cambios imperceptibles para atribuirse derechos de autor. Pero son las reglas de juego supongo.

Muchos se quejan de que hay pocos libros sobre el tarot de Marsella, sólo los que han escrito aquellos que han reconstruido una cubierta, quedando el lector cautivo de un libro en particular, muchas veces de mala calidad. Pero es que no hay forma de escribir un libro sobre Marsella.

Cada cubierta tiene el libro que ha escrito su autor o alguien por él seleccionado, y quien desee aprender a leer ese mazo no tiene opciones.

Pensé en una cubierta antigua porque tengo unas imágenes de un Conver antiguo que se ha expuesto en este grupo, pero están bastante feas. Pero si pudiera emplearlas lo haría, cosa que ahora dudo que se pueda.)