How to know when to pair cards in tarot?

Cacia

Hello All:

When people is reading I see they pair cards, but my question is when do you know that you should pair the cards, or the cards comes with the same meaning in the reading? I have a problem doing that. How can I learn to pair the cards?

Thanks
P.s. This must sound silly but I do not know how to do this.

nisaba

Sometimes you just pull two cards for one position. Sometimeds two cards come out in different positions and you sorta feel that they really came out together as a pair. :)

If it doesn't happen for you, then it doesn't happen for you. We all work differently - you don't have to pair up cards if you don't want to.

The Comte de Mellet spread, the oldest Tarot layout that has been recorded for posterity, pairs up cards as a basic part of the spread. It's wonderful to use - because you don't know in advance whether you'll get one pair of cards to read or eleven pairs of cards to read, laying out the spread in the first place is a challenge and a delight, and the readings are wonderful: if I get several pairs, the first pair delineates the situation, the last pair is likely future outcomes, and the pair or pairs in between are the journey from now to then. :)

Cacia

Thanks Nisaba

Sometimes you just pull two cards for one position. Sometimeds two cards come out in different positions and you sorta feel that they really came out together as a pair. :)

If it doesn't happen for you, then it doesn't happen for you. We all work differently - you don't have to pair up cards if you don't want to.

The Comte de Mellet spread, the oldest Tarot layout that has been recorded for posterity, pairs up cards as a basic part of the spread. It's wonderful to use - because you don't know in advance whether you'll get one pair of cards to read or eleven pairs of cards to read, laying out the spread in the first place is a challenge and a delight, and the readings are wonderful: if I get several pairs, the first pair delineates the situation, the last pair is likely future outcomes, and the pair or pairs in between are the journey from now to then. :)
Nisaba:
Thanks for replying to my post; I really appreciate that I will check the link and try that spread. Thanks again

nisaba

Working alone with that spread (the thread tells you how to work it with a client), I have the Major Arcana cards to my left and the Minors to my right, and when I've turned over all the majors I start them again (without reshuffling) until I've been through the minors once.

re-pete-a

Sometimes one just 'JUMPS" out of the deck or falls with another card ...or even gets stuck to another card...

Just go with the flow and use these strangers to gain extra insights to the card drawn...

known as clarifiers or jumpers...

Time with the cards will help to go with it, instead of coming to a screaming halt or thinking it's a mistake....These thoughts mess with your flow...

sometimes it's necessary to draw an extra card at the end to clarify or confirm a reading...

It's all in your style of handling the cards...

SunChariot

Hello All:

When people is reading I see they pair cards, but my question is when do you know that you should pair the cards, or the cards comes with the same meaning in the reading? I have a problem doing that. How can I learn to pair the cards?

Thanks

Well, there could be a lot of ways to do it, but what I do....I only pair them if I am trying to take out one card and 2 or 3 come out at the same time. For me personally, if 2 come out I call it a card duo, and if 3 I call it a card trio. 3 is where I draw the line. More than 3, and I put them back in the deck, shuffle and start over.

In card duos or trios for me, the meanings of the cards are very closely connected. The meaning is not one or the other but the combination between the cards.

How you know what they mean, that is pretty well pure intuition.

But for example, if I got the Lovers and The Hermit, it wouldn't just be about love in general or suggesting that the person take a time out now to think. But instead talking about someone who really loves and values their alone time.

How you learn to do anything in Tarot, is to practise. :grin: And keep trying new things until you find the best way for you.

Babs

Cacia

THANKS

Thanks for your replies and definitely I will take in consideration each of one of your views in this matter. Thanks again very grateful for the helpful information

Ica'rus

Well, there could be a lot of ways to do it, but what I do....I only pair them if I am trying to take out one card and 2 or 3 come out at the same time. For me personally, if 2 come out I call it a card duo, and if 3 I call it a card trio. 3 is where I draw the line. More than 3, and I put them back in the deck, shuffle and start over.

In card duos or trios for me, the meanings of the cards are very closely connected. The meaning is not one or the other but the combination between the cards.

Babs

Thank you SunChariot. This actually made an important spread I did 2 weeks ago make sense. I pulled two cards for a position without realizing it. When I saw I selected between the 2 for the actual card position (Didn't know about reading pairs till now). I did however, look at the other card afterwards... It makes sense now.

SunChariot

Thank you SunChariot. This actually made an important spread I did 2 weeks ago make sense. I pulled two cards for a position without realizing it. When I saw I selected between the 2 for the actual card position (Didn't know about reading pairs till now). I did however, look at the other card afterwards... It makes sense now.

Anytime, :grin: That's why we're all here, to talk things out.

My belief, for what it's worth is that there are no accidents in Tarot. If something unusual like that happens, there is a reason for it and generally all the cards that come up are meant to be part of the reading.

Even though my rule is I don't count pairs of more than 3, Like if 25 cards come out together, that's too many for me. LOL

Babs

chrisstavrous

Hello All:

Thanks
I just read in relation to one card with the other cards in the same spread. Or I clarify by drawing a card for another card. I hope that helps.