Which deck helped you to read tarot?

Gwynydd

I am a tarot beginner. I use the Morgan Greer mini to learn on. I love the deck, but I hear/read about people who say, 'once I started using xyz deck, everything fell into place so much more easily.' I wouldn't say Morgan Greer is that deck, in my case. I'd love to find such a deck for me.

I watched a review of Anna K on YouTube, and the depiction of the wheel seemed to bring me this instant understanding of that card! Can you know a deck will be the one that teaches you easily before buying it? Also, I'm interested in buying Kat Black's Golden Tarot and trying to learn on that, too.

So, my question is, is there a deck that helped the tarot to make sense to you more easily, as a beginner? Which one was it? And also, what decks would you generally recommend a beginner to start with?

GlitterNova

I second the Anna K. T don't actually own it but it was in an online video tutorial that I watched to help start learning how to read. It has a great illustrative nature that makes the cards easy to understand.

Gwynydd

I second the Anna K. T don't actually own it but it was in an online video tutorial that I watched to help start learning how to read. It has a great illustrative nature that makes the cards easy to understand.

Thanks 😊 I feel as though Anna K might be the one to learn on, almost that it's calling me 😀

RiverRunsDeep

So, my question is, is there a deck that helped the tarot to make sense to you more easily, as a beginner? Which one was it?

As a beginner, my first deck was the original Mythic Tarot, and I loved learning with it. It had an amazing companion book, and being able to connect the myths with the cards helped me to remember the meanings.

And also, what decks would you generally recommend a beginner to start with?

I think this depends on what type of deck a person is drawn to. I predominantly read RWS-based decks, so I would recommend RWS, Morgan Greer, Anna K, Robin Wood, or one of Ciro Marchetti's decks.

Sibylline

Thanks �� I feel as though Anna K might be the one to learn on, almost that it's calling me ��

Answer the call! :D

The Anna K. is a delightful deck, and a good one for beginners. It falls within the Rider system, so you'll be able to easily branch out to other decks without much trouble. What I find really unique about that deck is the incredible range of facial expressions. They can really be instructive in understanding the energy of each card. For example, the Anna K. has a blushing Knight of Cups....I LOVE him.

The companion book is also quite good. For most cards, she ties the card in with another. I haven't seen another companion book that makes those connections quite like the Anna K. Some of her explanations are a little too limiting for me, so I suggest getting a solid book on tarot like 78 Degrees of Wisdom or Tarot 101 to help open up your understanding of the cards.

And also, what decks would you generally recommend a beginner to start with?

For me, I learned on the Thoth...and 25 years later, I'm still learning the Thoth. Now that there are lots of decks out there than there were in my day, here are 3 for beginners...
Anna K.
Ciro Marchetti's Gilded Tarot or his Legacy of the Divine
The Universal Rider Waite

But most importantly, go with what you're drawn to. So far, your instincts are not steering you in the wrong direction. :)

Gwynydd

Thanks 😊 This is all helpful! I'm currently working through tarot 101, it's very good! I find it's a lengthy process 😀

Another deck I see myself eventually getting is the radiant tarot.

Sibylline

How could I forget the Radiant? *slaps forehead* That's another good one. I can also suggest the Fenestra and the Thelema Tarot. Both are either Rider Waite clones or close to it.

If you're into dark vampiric stuff, I hear The Tarot of the Vampyres is excellent. And it comes with a super fantastic companion book.

Gwynydd

It's hilarious that you mention tarot of the vampires! When I wrote this post, I was also thinking about owl moon from YouTube and how she says that's the deck that helped her to understand tarot! I'm not personally attracted to the artwork of that deck, but I am strongly tempted by the great guidebook it comes with. I also sometimes wonder if I would like the deck more in the flesh? I may end up trying it out eventually

Citrin

I started out with the Goddess Tarot by Waldherr, and I learnt a lot and I liked it - but I wasn't that much into the Goddess stuff at the time, so I craved something more "traditional". After a year or less with the Goddess Tarot I believe I started to study and use the Robin Wood and the original RWS and I think that's when my tarot skills got better and things "clicked" more with me. But hey, it could've just been that I was getting more experienced and time had passed... :)

I've never found my "soul deck" or "home deck" and I've used tarot since 2004! I think it's a personality thing for me though. I am a very restless soul and I have noticed I'm the same way with most things in life, I need the variety - decks, jobs (I've never had the same job for a full year and I'm 29...), men (I've lost track of how many boyfriends I've had haha), hobbies...

I've found decks I connect with easier/more than others, but can't say I've had that "This is MY deck!"-epiphany, and it's been almost 12 years lol... But I'm happy with my tarot journey anyway. :) So don't feel stressed out finding that "soul deck"! :)

Calayvie

It's hilarious that you mention tarot of the vampires! When I wrote this post, I was also thinking about owl moon from YouTube and how she says that's the deck that helped her to understand tarot! I'm not personally attracted to the artwork of that deck, but I am strongly tempted by the great guidebook it comes with. I also sometimes wonder if I would like the deck more in the flesh? I may end up trying it out eventually
I have this deck. I'm not keen on the artwork. 10 years ago I probably would have loved it but now, meh. But the guidebook alone is worth the money spent on it I think. I've read the intro, and I occasionally pull a card and examine it and read about it.

I'm only fairly new to tarot, started on DVs Angel Tarot for a bit, now learning Wildwood thoroughly and I love that deck. Learning lots from being on this forum and also using other decks. When I've got more of the basics down I'll knuckle down and get into Tarot of the Vampyres. There's a lot of info in it and if I understand the basics I think I'll pick up the additional info in that deck and book more easily.

But I also like to read the images on the cards, so I'm attracted to more intuitive decks or decks where I like/connect with the imagery, rather than working with a deck such as Tarot of the Vampyres. So it'll probably be a while before I study that deck, but I am looking forward to gaining the knowledge it has for me.
Actually I really should pick this deck up when I do shadow work ...

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk