Lenormands in Another Language

greatdane

I happen to like certain decks that are "foreign" (which is relative, as anything other than your own language or culture can be considered foreign).

The Berenika Lilac Twilight in Russian is a fav and I have NO problem reading it even though all the titles are in russian.

I find it interesting that some readers say they have trouble reading with a deck not in, let's say, English (my native tongue).

I don't read titles, I read images. If I can't tell if a card is the Clover or Heart, likely not a deck I will want.

I understand if some WANT a deck with titles in whatever language they wish, but, Gentle Readers, do you have a problem READING Lenormands where titles aren't in whatever language you speak?

Lee

I don't think I'd have a problem with it. The only deck I have with foreign language titles is the Daveluy, with French titles, but I can read a bit of French so I can mostly read the titles anyway.

greatdane

So, Lee, if you liked a Lenormand deck....

Would you likely get it if had titles in a language you had no clue about IF the images were clear?

MoonGypsy

Would you likely get it if had titles in a language you had no clue about IF the images were clear?

Yes. :D i have done that already, and i had no problem reading it. :)

ETA: oops, sorry GD and Lee,
i didn't realize GD had addressed Lee specifically...:heart:

greatdane

Cool, MoonGypsy!

May I ask the language it was in?

MoonGypsy

May I ask the language it was in?

Russian is the one i remember for sure right now...but i know there are [or were] more...;)

Possibly French and/or German? ...

ETA: Traditional images is the most important thing...they don't even need the titles
or numbers...

greatdane

I agree, MoonGypsy

A Rose...or a Clover or Fox...by any other name....:)

Le Fanu

I love that Urania-Konigsfurt edition of the Dondorf with the German verses. There is that playing card version but they foolishly updated the playing card inserts and ruined it with Queens with 70s haircuts etc.

I love using the verse version (in German gothick script) because I don't register it. It's like having a Dondorf with just the images. I studied German at school, remember very little but with that script it is virtually indecipherable for me. I love it. I think one of the reasons for using a foreign language Lenormand is not registering the titles or verses and there must be other readers like myself who enjoy it.

greatdane

Interesting point, Le Fanu

It does force one to just look at the images. Even speaking a little Russian, I read even less, so having a deck with Russian titles is having a deck with no titles as far as I am concerned :).