Just came across some new GT houses meanings

Sharla

As the title says ive just came across some quite different meanings for the houses in the Grand Tableau.

Ive got a couple of GT's in my phone and i must say a few of the houses do make more sense than the others i'd learnt.

Here's the link so you can take a look yourself https://taroflexions.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/the-lenormand-houses/

You have to scroll down about half way through the page to come to the meanings as the page is quite long, also if you read through some of the comments after the Houses she explains where these houses are from.

Sharla

Can you tell me your thoughts on these houses anyone who reads, as I'm not too sure on a few of them as some make sense but some don't.

Example: In an old GT I have saved, clouds lands in house 6 speaking of wishes, dreams and hopes for the future.
So if I went with this theory, would this mean I'm confused about my hopes for the future ?

Example: In same GT birds lands in house 36, health, illness or possible accidents. So would this mean there could be conversations regarding ones health.

Teheuti

Camelia uses a modified form of the "Lenormand's Nines" that is a French creation for playing card cartomancy (L'Oracle Parfait, 1875). It can be found in cartomancy books by Prof. Foli and Erna Droesbeke among others. According to Camelia a version has been applied to Lenormand readings mainly in Eastern Europe. More people in Western Europe seem to use an association between the Houses and the natural placement of cards in numerical order. Whatever works.

Barleywine

This sort of thing has me wondering why almost anything that is represented as "traditional" invariably comes under assault by the minions of change, simply because it "must obviously be obsolete." I understand that the system of Lenormand "houses" is a fairly recent addition, and already we're deconstructing it. Seems lke "anything new" just has to be better than "anything old" because by definition it should be more intelligible to the modern interpreter. Well, just maybe the modern interpreter has lost something valuable somewhere along the way. Some updates are inevitable (almost nobody travels by boat or rides a horse any more) but others don't seem to add much of value. Personally, I'll stick with the usual house meanings, since I'm still making my peace with the relative merits of those in practical terms.

Teheuti

This sort of thing has me wondering why almost anything that is represented as "traditional" invariably comes under assault by the minions of change, simply because it "must obviously be obsolete."
What updates are you talking about? The use of Houses at all versus simply following the Philippe instruction sheet?

The original "Lenormand's Nines" (4 rows of 9) were not designed for the Lenormand deck but for a 36-card French playing card deck (with cards numbered 2-5 removed). Each card was to be interpreted in its "House" according to a long list of set meanings that would be nearly impossible to memorize (you have to refer to the book).

Unknown people adapted the idea at some unknown time (probably mid-to-late 20th century) to the Lenormand Grand Tableau in either of two ways:

1) Using the House meanings of the "Lenormand's Nines" with the Petit Lenormand deck.

2) Using the core meaning of the cards in their natural numerical order as House meanings.

Teheuti

The way some people read Houses turns the House into the subject:

Bouquet in the House of Health - good health
Scythe in the House of Health - bad health; possibly surgery.
You can therefore go through all 36 Houses reading the prognostication for each "house of life".

Personally I see Houses as more nuanced - like coloring the card with a colored theatrical gel. or like experiencing something (the card) in a particular neighborhood of a major city (house). The card carries the dominant meaning. Would you rather your car broke down in a slum, Times Square, near home, or in front of a car repair shop? Which neighborhood would you prefer if you were going out to dinner?

Barleywine

What updates are you talking about? The use of Houses at all versus simply following the Philippe instruction sheet?

The original "Lenormand's Nines" (4 rows of 9) were not designed for the Lenormand deck but for a 36-card French playing card deck (with cards numbered 2-5 removed). Each card was to be interpreted in its "House" according to a long list of set meanings that would be nearly impossible to memorize (you have to refer to the book).

Unknown people adapted the idea at some unknown time (probably mid-to-late 20th century) to the Lenormand Grand Tableau in either of two ways:

1) Using the House meanings of the "Lenormand's Nines" with the Petit Lenormand deck.

2) Using the core meaning of the cards in their natural numerical order as House meanings.

Yes, somewhere I read that the houses were added to the original GT method at some point (it may have been in something of yours). I wasn 't aware that it was as recently as the last half of the 20th century, and that there is a parellel system of the same vintage. I see them more as a "background vibration" than an essential element of the meaning; I could happily do without them unless I'm missing some subtlety in the interpretation of the primary card.