Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

astronautica

Thanks Tansey Ella, that's reassuring to hear! That's what I'm holding on to it for - in the hopes that that will happen one day :) As much as I don't connect with it right now, I couldn't bear to part with it just in case :)

Carla

I'm sure somewhere up the line here I've mentioned Bright Ideas. Hated that one. It's the only one that I actually threw away. I had to, I had marked it up and cut it up trying to use it, no one could have used it after that. Here are some I've bought and traded or given away because they weren't for me:

Rabbit Tarot
Housewives Tarot
Wildwood Tarot
Tarot of a Moon Garden

Bhavana

This thread reminds me that I need to cough up the extra subscription bucks here so I can start trading. Llewellyn and Revelations are two of my most recent regrets. Some regrets, like Wildwood or Tarot of a Moon Garden, or Art Nouveau for example, I sometimes decide to keep. At least for now. The ones I get rid of are typically the ones in which I can find absolutely NO redeeming qualities.

Bhavana

I'm sure somewhere up the line here I've mentioned Bright Ideas. Hated that one. It's the only one that I actually threw away. I had to, I had marked it up and cut it up trying to use it, no one could have used it after that. Here are some I've bought and traded or given away because they weren't for me:

Rabbit Tarot
Housewives Tarot
Wildwood Tarot
Tarot of a Moon Garden

The other's I can understand, but the Rabbit Tarot? I really want that one!! Why did you decide you didn't like it?

AJ

I have a list of 90 decks I've sold/traded/gifted. I'm sure every single one of them have been on a "mad about it" thread at one time or the other.

Do I wish I had my money back? Yes, but only in order to buy something else :)

Tarot decks are really something you have to Use before you know if they sing to you. Some are simply off key and some are just appalling. But if you don't try them you will never know what that really special top twenty, never getting rid of, use often decks are. People pay Way more for formal education they never use at all...we at least use what we've learned for future buying.

My biggest disappointment was the Ma'at though. Her Wheel is based on a modern 7 day week. The ancients on which her deck is based used a 10 day week. I couldn't get over such a glaring lack of basic knowledge so shipped the deck off the Australia shortly after I purchased it.

Le Fanu

Tarot decks are really something you have to Use before you know if they sing to you. Some are simply off key and some are just appalling. But if you don't try them you will never know what that really special top twenty, never getting rid of, use often decks are. People pay Way more for formal education they never use at all...we at least use what we've learned for future buying.
Well said. A nice antidote to all the guilt-inducing threads around about how we all overspend. I don't overspend and there are very few I regret buying. None that I still have. I have managed to offload the worst. It's time for me to have another clear out though. Some really will not be missed. If I had to say one now that I wish I hadn't bought it would be the Shapeshifters. Oh and the Moon Garden and Sweet Twilight...(that's three without really thinking). So not me.

merissa_88

I'm not sorry I bought Tarot of the Pagan Cats, but I'm surprised I've burned out on it so quickly. I really was looking forward to it, love cats, think it's really funny, and had some great readings with it. But now I never look at it. It may get listed on the Trading Forum soon.

BeTo1984

For me...and I think I mentioned this in a similar thread...

The Witches Tarot: It is not what I thought it was; maybe it's too advanced for me because I don't really understand it (however, I do have the Thoth, which I think is easy to read). A lot of the images are beautiful, but some of them are just too weird/cartoony which I didn't like.

The Tiny Universal Waite: I don't think it was worth spending retail on it. It's cute, but the images are pixalated and it's hardly usable because the cards are so small. Very novel deck.

And finally...and this is sad because I just got this deck...I have mixed feelings about my Pocket Goddess Tarot. The major arcana cards are worth looking at and are EXTREMELY beautiful, but the Minors/Pips are bland in comparison. Also, some of the images do not make sense and the card definitions are very one-sided to the actual definition of the card. For example, I believe the Oppression card corresponds with the Tower Card...personally I never viewed the Tower card as Oppression, although I know it's one of the several meanings. Unfortunately, that is not the only card I have criticisms about. And I don't like how the backs are non-reversible for the pocket version. I'm still going to keep this deck because I think it's too pretty and my readings have been good on them, but the deck is somewhat disappointing to say the least.

Emily

The Fenestra was a big disappointment for me, the scans look lovely but when I got the deck it was covered by the then new style of thick and smelly laminate. The cards were like glossy pieces of sticky plastic. And the artwork wasn't as attractive in the hand. I kept the deck hoping I would eventually warm to it.

Another even bigger disappointment was the Llewellyn, the Majors are so pretty and vibrant - then it looks like they rushed the Minors. At first I tried to use the deck, told myself it didn't matter that the Minors looked like they were an after-thought but it did matter, I felt like the artist couldn't be bothered putting the same effort in with the Minors.

I'm not surprised the Liber T has been mentioned a few times LOL. - even I got rid of my first copy and only replaced it a few years later. It is either love it or hate it deck, see only the negatives in the deck and you won't go any further. But I'm biased, I saw a lot deeper into the deck and I'm very passionate about it now.

Carla

The other's I can understand, but the Rabbit Tarot? I really want that one!! Why did you decide you didn't like it?

It was really cute and I loved looking at it, but I couldn't read with it. It really, really annoyed me that the meanings were different from standard RWS. The bunnies had no expression, to me, whatsoever. If anything, they were quite melancholic,and whenever I tried to read with it, I ended up singing 'Bright Eyes' to myself. I even bought the DVD of 'Watership Down' during my Rabbit Tarot attempt. So I thought, meh. Trade it. And I did. I traded it for Goddess Tarot, which I also never use! LOL But for some reason, I still like Goddess Tarot better.