X and S or X and O or X and 8

mrpants

Yes! Enriquez is a genius. I appreciate his linguistic approach to form. If you want to get to the root of Tarot language, you can basically skip the loaded historic symbols and go straight to the function of form. Though I like to get into a bit of both :D

Babalon Jones

Me too! (as far as liking a bit of both!)

I just also stumbled across Houdouin's TDM book that links the TDM structural form with Metatron's cube. I can't buy it to read as it is in French though.

But my experience is that ALL (successful) art is based on Sacred Geometry, whether intentionally or not.

tedglart

X, etc.

My own feeling about the X shape in the Wands pips is that it is the Greek letter "chi", the "CH" sound that begins Christ's name. The letter "r", known in Greek as "rho", is written in Greek like our capital P, which looks like the upright wands on the odd numbered pips. This "chi-rho" shape, as it is called, is the symbol on the Catholic tabernacle (is it?), which is the box that holds objects used during the Mass.
If you put the cards of the Swords suit side by side the curved swords make a series of completed circles and as the suit progresses resemble the round labyrinth designs on the floors of cathedrals.
Cups bring to mind the eucharist and the receptacles containing Christ's blood.
Coins reproduce the shape of the bread, or host, the body of Christ, also used during the eucharist.
The Marseille tarot was created for a Catholic Christian culture so I think these shapes would have been instantly recognisable to its audience. Christian symbolism permeated every aspect of their lives, even a deck of playing cards. Four suits = four Gospels, etc.

tedglart

X, etc.

Could the shapes generated in the divinatory practise of Geomancy - a sort of infinitely simplified version of the I Ching - have anything to do with the arrangement of Cups and Coins?

Babalon Jones

Funnily enough I just was looking at the Chi Rho, but in the context of the chrism, symbol of Sol Invictus, Emperor Constantine and the Roman Empire...

And yes I think there is some Geomancy in some of the disk and cup arrangements too, like the 8 of coins is often in the Populus arrangement.

garmonbozia

I just also stumbled across Houdouin's TDM book that links the TDM structural form with Metatron's cube. I can't buy it to read as it is in French though.

Hopefully this will be published in English some day as I want to read it as well!