Initiation in the Æon of the Child

Aeon418

Some of the Thoth users around here might be interested in a new book that has recently been written by J. Daniel Gunther. Initiation in the Æon of the Child - The Inward Journey.
While it's not specifically a book about the Thoth Tarot, there's still a fair amount in there that is very revealing.

For example the Star/Emperor switch and it's relation to the doctrine of the Messiah and the Serpent Nachash.

Atu XVI The Tower and it's relationship to the apparently horrifyingly destructive aspect of the New Aeon.

Atu XVIII The Moon. It's importance in the process of initiation, the Dark Night of the Soul, and it's links to the biblical story of Abraham and Sarah.

http://www.amazon.com/Initiation-Ae...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239992538&sr=1-1

Scion

That's excellent! This one totally missed my radar... Many thanks Aeon.

Grigori

I've read mixed reviews of this one Aeon, would be very interested in your opinion. What do you think of it overall?

Always Wondering

Oh, perfect timing. I will add it to my book order.
Thank-you.

AW

Aeon418

You will probably appreciate this one more than most, Scion. Gunther doesn't try to be another DuQuette. He hits the ground running, expecting his reader to be fully up to speed with Crowley.

Aside from the recent reprint of James A. Eshelman's totally excellent, The Mystical and Magical System of the A.'.A.'., this is the first really hardcore Crowley/Thelema book I've seen in a while. Great stuff. :D

Having said that I think even beginners will get a lot out of it. Just maybe not the full package.

Aeon418

similia said:
I've read mixed reviews of this one Aeon, would be very interested in your opinion. What do you think of it overall?
Overall I think it's a really good book. But, caveat emptor, the more you know about Crowley/Thelema/Initiation, the more you will get out of it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of it. I think you will be just fine with it, Similia. But people who feel they've reached their limit with DuQuette probably shouldn't bother. But then again there are sections that anyone can understand and appreciate. It's a hard one to call. :laugh:

Grigori

Thanks Aeon, it sounds good for me. I'm eager to get a bit past entry level understanding so maybe it is a book whose time has come. I almost bought Eshelman's book the other day, and decided to wait till the next week. And it was gone by then :mad: Will have to snag the two of them next chance.

fyreflye

Thanks, Aeon; I've ordered the book. On the same Amazon page there's what looks like what might be an interesting book by Richard Kaczynski, author of the now almost unobtainable "Perdurabo." Since it's "edited" by James Wasserman I suspect it might be a condensation of that book. Know anything about it? And I also see the DVD of the fabled Crowley movie with Simon Callow everyone here wants to see; the reviews are awful.

Aeon418

similia said:
I almost bought Eshelman's book the other day, and decided to wait till the next week. And it was gone by then :mad: Will have to snag the two of them next chance.
Yes, Amazon don't seem to stock many copies of that book at any one time for some strange reason. According to Jim Eshelman there are still plenty of copies left, but Amazon refuse to stock more than 10 at a time. So the book continually goes in and out of stock. Leaving only the over priced used copies to lure the unwary.

I'm sure it will be back in stock soon. :D

For anyone else that's interested, or tempted to shell out for a used copy, the rrp for Eshelman's book is US $49.

Aeon418

fyreflye said:
On the same Amazon page there's what looks like what might be an interesting book by Richard Kaczynski, author of the now almost unobtainable "Perdurabo." Since it's "edited" by James Wasserman I suspect it might be a condensation of that book. Know anything about it?
It's basically an introductory guide to Aleister Crowley. It contains a mini biography, an overview of the initiatory structure of A.'.A.'. and O.T.O., and an introduction to mysticism and (sex)magick. It's a beginners guide, plain and simple.

I was pleased to see that Kaczynski did not shy away from, or gloss over, the drugs and sex issue. But he also does a good job of correcting a lot of the misconceptions that ignorant and hysterical critics seem to get endless mileage out of.