Frieda Harris. Real person.

Lillie

Ok.

This is stupid, but it's something that's been bugging me.

A while ago someone said that there was no proof that Frieda Harris existed. That her Birth was never registered with the authorities and neither was her Marriage.
(or somthing like that)

I suspect that the person who said it was just being funny, or controversial for the sake of it.
But no one stood up and said that she did exist and her birth and marriage were registed in the normal way.

And it's been in my mind since that someone ought to check it out.

Well.
I did.

Been doing some family history research
My husband has an entire family back in the 1880's!
While I was at it I checked Harris.
She is there, so is her Marriage
and so is Crowleys Birth for that matter.

If I had 20 quid to spare I'd get the certificates.
But I havn't.
So you'll all just have to believe me.

ravenest

Of course I believe you (otherwise all my crowley / harris channelling would be 'rubbish' ;) ).

Did you turn up any interesting info on her?

Abrac

That's fascinating Lillie. How did you find it?

This is supposedly a picture of her with Crowley, which you may already be familiar with. But one never knows about these things.

ravenest

Some interesting info on that link thanks Abrac

I didnt know Harris was co-executor to Crowleys will!

Abrac

I'm going to have to read the info ravenest. I mainly linked the page because of the picture but didn't even notice all the info there. It does look interesting. The books I have read about Crowley only mention Harris in passing, if at all. Thanks for the heads-up.

Lillie

How did I find it?

It took 10 minuites.
But it would have taken 5 if I hadn't been eating a very messy sandwich at the same time.

I had been doing family history research in the BMD register indexes. And ran out of relatives to do.

So I did Harris and Crowley.

You can look people up in the index, but then you have to pay to get the actual certificates.

The index don't tell you much.
quarter and year of birth/marriage registration.
Name of individual
Place birth/marriage was registered.
You have to know enough to know the index entry refers to the person you are after.

The certificates would have far more on them.
Exact date and place of birth, parents names, adresses and occupations, mothers maiden name, for births.

For marriages you get the names of the people, their ages and adresses, place of marriage and I think the name and adress of their fathers (but not their mothers).

If was just interesting to see if I could find her.
Partly just for the challenge, but partly to see if she was really not there.
Cos stuff is missing from the registers. Especially the further back you go.
Records were lost during the war, that sort of thing.
Some (the very old hand written index's) are just illegible!

But anyway, she turned up straight away.

Le Fanu

I was studying the Thoth this morning (working my way through the swords suit) when it suddenly struck me that Ive never actually seen a photograph of LFH. I did a quick search and came across the one already posted here of her getting into the car with Uncle Al, about to go out for a spin. Does anyone know of any other photos of her? The only one I could find was this one...

A bit odd that the wife of an MP, a member of a reasaonably well-off family who would have had access to photography, doesn´t have more images circulating...

Just curious. I like to put a face to these wonderful images...

kwaw

I have only seen one other, as a young woman, in profile, there is a copy in the Lashtal site galleries.

Cerulean

Here she is!

Beautiful--we might have been such in our younger days!

http://www.oto.se/2_kvinnan.php

Scroll down until you see:

LADY FRIEDA HARRIS
Soror Tzaba
(1877-1962)

Or click on this link. Hope it helps.

Cerulean

Attachments

• harris.jpg
    harris.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 307

Le Fanu

O isn´t she beautiful! Such a lovely image...

Thanks you so much Cerulean...