Unwilling Hanged Man?

Aeon418

caridwen said:
Birth, Death and Rebirth are part of the cycle of life.
What does that have to do with the Christian conception? Nothing! Christianity offers one life, one death, one resurrection. Where is the cycle in that?

caridwen

Aeon418 said:
What does that have to do with the Christian conception? Nothing! Christianity offers one life, one death, one resurrection. Where is the cycle in that?

Does the Thoth consider no other meaning than the Christian? That's very disappointing to learn especially when you said:

The New Aeon embraces relativity

The Christian myth which is derived in part from paganism, sees a cycle of life in everything. I thought Crowley also incorporated Eastern Mysticism into his deck ie reincarnation.

Aeon418

caridwen said:
The Christian myth which is derived in part from paganism, sees a cycle of life in everything. I thought Crowley also incorporated Eastern Mysticism into his deck ie reincarnation
Before I continue can I ask a question? Have you actually read the Book of Thoth?

Back to the Sun model. Is the cycle of the sun real or not? The answer is no. The sun does not die and it is never reborn. That it appears to do so is an illusion. The Thoth Tarot accepts this basic fact of science. Christianity is based on the old illusion. In essence it's a scientific retard.

This basic fact has implications for spirituality. Up until now mankind has based it's spiritual understanding on a illusory perception of the sun, Life - Death - Resurrection. But the sun does not die? Do you think the sun dies?

The sun is always there, it does not die. This has implications for how we understand life and death. The Thoth Tarot incorporates the message that we are like the Sun. "Every man and every woman is a star". Although we "appear" to die, it is only the personality that dies. But consciousness continues on and returns in another form. This makes the whole notion of vicarious sacrifice a joke, and a bad one at that.

EDIT: By the way, what does Christianity have to do with reincarnation? Are we talking about some sort of New Age christianty here?

caridwen

Aeon418 said:
Before I continue can I ask a question? Have you actually read the Book of Thoth?

I am new to the Thoth and learning. Yes I have read the book of Thoth in part.

Back to the Sun model. Is the cycle of the sun real or not? The answer is no. The sun does not die and it is never reborn. That it appears to do so is an illusion. The Thoth Tarot accepts this basic fact of science. Christianity is based on the old illusion. In essence it's a scientific retard.

No I do not believe the sun dies. I understand that the sun dying and being reborn is not true. I understand science and the concept of. I am not Christian and do not believe in god or Jesus.

This basic fact has implications for spirituality. Up until now mankind has based it's spiritual understanding on a illusory perception of the sun, Life - Death - Resurrection. But the sun does not die? Do you think the sun dies?

No I do not believe the Sun dies. I realise the sun dying is an illusury perception and I understand the basic concept of science. I understand the concept of life death and resurection.

The sun is always there, it does not die.

I understand the sun does not die - it does not die. I understand the basic concept of science. I understand the Jesus myth is an illusion.

This has implications for how we understand life and death. The Thoth Tarot incorporates the message that we are like the Sun. "Every man and every woman is a star". Although we "appear" to die, it is only the personality that dies. But consciousness continues on and returns in another form. This makes the whole notion of vicarious sacrifice a joke, and a bad one at that.

How does the Hanged Man (if we may return to the thread) incorporate a continuting consciousness when the man is nailed to the cross?

And yes, before you begin again...I understand the sun does not die et al and I really suggest you take a chill pill:p

EDIT: By the way, what does Christianity have to do with reincarnation? Are we talking about some sort of New Age christianty here?

Does this answer your question:

I thought Crowley also incorporated Eastern Mysticism into his deck ie reincarnation.

Aeon418

caridwen said:
How does the Hanged Man (if we may return to the thread) incorporate a continuting consciousness when the man is nailed to the cross?
The Hanged Man is the old and obsolete conception of the solar dying god? This is why Crowley describes him as an evil legacy of the Old Aeon and the card itself as a cenotaph. The nails on the card are the final nails in the coffin.

Aeon418

caridwen said:
I am new to the Thoth and learning. Yes I have read the book of Thoth in part.
Well that answers my own question and explains why I am struggling like hell to shed light on the basic principles of Crowley's philosophy. The same philosophy that is graphically encoded in the Thoth Tarot.
I'm having to go off topic on wild tangents just to fill in the gaps.

caridwen

Aeon418 said:
The Hanged Man is the old and obsolete conception of the solar dying god? This is why Crowley describes him as an evil legacy of the Old Aeon and the card itself as a cenotaph. The nails on the card are the final nails in the coffin.

Why didn't you say that in the first place when I asked the question?

caridwen

Aeon418 said:
Well that answers my own question and explains why I am struggling like hell to shed light on the basic principles of Crowley's philosophy. The same philosophy that is graphically encoded in the Thoth Tarot.
I'm having to go off topic on wild tangents just to fill in the gaps.

You're not having to do anything. If people new to the Thoth bother you - don't answer their questions:)

Aeon418

caridwen said:
You're not having to do anything. If people new to the Thoth bother you - don't answer their questions:)
But that's the point, you're not simply asking questions. You're bringing a mass of preconceptions with them.

Abrac

Quite simply put, the nails probably are an allusion to the crucifixion, but in a much broader sense the imagery refers to the idea of self-sacrifice in general. Crowley refutes the idea that, in the New Aeon, self-sacrifice is necessary because it implies a debt. In his philosophy, "every man and woman is a star" and there is no debt to pay. But as Aeon418 has mentioned, he has left the card in the deck as a "monument" or "memorial" to a bygone era that, as he explains in The Book of Thoth, might come in handy to future generations should they ever find themselves in the depths of another "dark age." In such case it will guide them and show how to "put things right." But, if things ever get to the point where this solution must be resorted to, things must be very dark indeed. The ideal solution all around, at least in Crowley's mind, is to rid mankind once and for all of the notion of self-sacrifice and all it implies.

Aeon418, your observations about Vau and 666 are awesome!