Visconti-Sforza deck

jmd

It may also be worth noting that Michelangelo was also influenced by Vitruvius, the Roman architect (amongst other things), for whom the Golden Proportion, and from whom Leonardo based his 'Vitruvian Man', was important - and hence also 72 degrees.

To also quote that Italian Gothic bore little from the Northern French is only partially correct. Rather, it appears to have incorporated various aspects, including more easterly influences. It seems that lower portions of intended Gothic style Cathedrals do indeed bear the hallmarks of northern French influence, but that the overall structures, from an architectural perspective, do not.

I personally suspect that due to its later appearance in Italy, its height had already been and partly dissolved...

Cerulean

Then again I might have been wrong?

Or were you not speaking of geometric harmonies of proportion, but something else like below?

http://www.princeton.edu/~ezb/geomancy/geostep.html#program

Let me know, because there might be a manuscript reference to this, but it's different from the other information I posted...

Best wishes, but maybe confused and off base,

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

jmd

I see you took geomancy's name and related it to his geometric interest... whereas I suspect he took more his name from the first part of 'geometric', and combined it with 'mantic'.

From various discussions we have had, I am certain that he is referring strictly, within this thread, to geometrical considerations within the designs (I of course stand to be corrected).

In terms of geomancy, it is not the Visconti-Sforza, but rather some versions of the Marseille, which at times seem to incorporate geomantic sigils - for example the 1701 Dodal Temperance.

Attachments

• temperance.jpg
    temperance.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 104

Ross G Caldwell

robertmealing said:
Ross,

The Berti-Gonard is the book that comes with the Visconti Gold "Set".

May be nothing new to you in there, but nice to have and read.

robert

Thanks Robert. I like Berti's style - he fully engages with the tarot myths, playfully and consciously, without ever mistaking them for history.

Ross

Yatima

Dissertation

Hi JMD, is the dissertation of Christina Olsen, Carte Da Trionfi: The development of Tarot in fifteenth-century Italy, 1994 (Uni. of Pennsylvania) in print? How could it be aquired if not?
Yatima

jmd

I acquired my copy via my University's library services (part of research expenses), from AnnHarbor microfilm services... which I found last year during a Univ. library search :))).

geomancer

I now believe there is a "geometric key" that is embodied in the Visconti-Sforza deck. My research has led me to find examples of this key that both pre-date and post-date this deck. In the last few days I have applied the "key" to the floor plan of the church at Rennes-les-Bains and have resolved the "markers" and found some absolutely marvelous geometric paterns.

Huck

geomancer said:
I now believe there is a "geometric key" that is embodied in the Visconti-Sforza deck. My research has led me to find examples of this key that both pre-date and post-date this deck. In the last few days I have applied the "key" to the floor plan of the church at Rennes-les-Bains and have resolved the "markers" and found some absolutely marvelous geometric paterns.

Good. We'll listen carefully.