Tips for first-time festival-type event?

Ipseity

I am not a professional reader, really, though I have done readings for money in the past. I belong to the Ordo Templi Orientis, though, and just brought up the idea of doing an event locally where I give readings and donate the money to my OTO oasis. I like the idea, or I wouldn't have brought it up, but I'm nervous. Questions I have:

1) How much should I charge for readings at this event? I was thinking a dollar a card, or is that too much? How much do people charge at psychic fairs? This is kind of similar.
2) Any tips for reading for a large amount of people in a short period of time?
3) Anything else I need to know about reading for money?

Mellaenn

Hello, I'm surprised there have been no responses for you! I will be happy to give you my two cents.

1) How much should I charge for readings at this event? I was thinking a dollar a card, or is that too much? How much do people charge at psychic fairs? This is kind of similar.

I don't know what the going rate in Ohio is, but here in south Florida we charge by 15 minute increments which works out to roughly a dollar or two a minute. It could take me 15 minutes to read one card, so I think a dollar a card would be low.

2) Any tips for reading for a large amount of people in a short period of time?

Yes, get lots of rest beforehand, bring plenty of water and maybe have some snacks like fruit or nuts to ground yourself throughout the event. You may need to get up and walk away for a few minutes after several readings if they come fast and furious.

3) Anything else I need to know about reading for money?

It's OK to accept money for readings (unless you are really just learning and have to thumb through a reference book for meanings - then it's not OK!) Charging money was hard for me at first, but eventually I was able to acknowledge that it is an exchange of energy. Also, if no one is keeping track of the time for you, you will need to do this. Otherwise some people would sit at your table for the entire night. I use my iPhone's timer and set the harp sound to signal the end of the reading. And finally, don't use a special treasured reading cloth at a busy public event unless it's washable. People will set their drinks on it. :( (Can you tell that's a pet peeve of mine?)

I'm sure there's lots more to tell you but that is a start anyway.

tarotbear

:) There are many threads along similar lines to this where many people have offered many suggestions for new readers, including but not limited to:

Have bottles of water and lozenges for dry mouths
Kleenex, just in case
A tip jar, largely labeled "TIPS are appreciated"
Remember to schedule in toilet breaks
Skip the Celtic Crosses with large crowds and concentrate on 3,4, or 5 card readings at most
Dress for comfort - that includes footwear
Have a secure place to put the money; take it with you if you leave your table
Have 3 or 4 different decks; switch off if you think you should
Have business cards with you if you have them
Have some nice table dressing - bright attractive colors
Depending on your set-up - a sign with your name and your fees clearly stated.
Small kitchen timer - use it to keep people from wasting your time
Reading takes a lot of energy - be sure to ground yourself before, during, and after

Good Luck!