Social Tarot

gregory

I understand how people may be interested, but really...this is your home. I would never feel entitled to barge into any and every part of a house in which I was a guest just to indulge my own curiosity.

I know people can be both well-meaning and intrusive at the same time, but it seems to me that if you insist on your own privacy and boundaries within your home in a quiet and polite manner, but still firmly...well, anyone who still insists after that would really have to be a bit of a jerk, in my opinion.
I probably wasn't clear. I don't mind them going in there. I don't mind if they know about my taroting. If they don't like me as I am they can cease to associate with me :D

The only issue is if they ask for a reading. I just say no. No-one who has visited takes the piss or anything.

Krystophe

I probably wasn't clear. I don't mind them going in there. I don't mind of they know about my taroting. If they don't like me as I am they can cease to associate with me :D

The only issue is if they ask for a reading. I just say no. No-one who has visited takes the piss or anything.

I probably wasn't clear either. My comment was intended as a response to the the issue of people who fail to respect boundaries and privacy. I was just observing that a combination of politeness and firmness tends to be sufficient in most cases, and it takes quite a bit of gall for a person to press the issue.

Unless one is actively offering to share, whether it be tarot reading, legal or medical advice, or a house tour, I would think their privacy should be respected as a matter of course. Just my opinion.

Tanga

...So I think you can understand it wasn't so easy to say, "Hey I only do this for money" or whatever. And it wasn't that I wouldn't have wanted to. It was more just I can't turn it on like a faucet (wish I could) and also it just didn't feel right.

OK - so maybe I see what you're getting at. (and if you ask me - you may still be allowing yourself to be "pushed" a bit).

...But it made me think that it would be nice to develop the skill to do a kind of "Just for Fun" reading for situations like that. Something that uses humour. Like say, all the questions have to be about sex or something silly like that. Or you can only ask me what your pet is thinking.

And then do some kind of actual reading. It might be good practice, no?

I mean it's okay to have fun with Tarot also, right? I just wonder how to do that exactly.

IMO of course it's OK to have fun with Tarot. :) You can do what you like - it's your tool. (depends on your definition of "fun" I suppose. Sometimes I use mine to suggest what I should wear for the day - that's always hilarious :joke: - or I flippantly ask my guides if they have any comments to make, which is usually quite amusing too ;) ).

You could maybe - get them each to choose one card and then do a quickie one-card-reading about their personality or some other aspect for them..."The Oracle has spoken" type-of-thing (the oracle doesn't necessarily have to make sense right? Hahaha!).
I did 1-card-reads for any of my friends who were interested on Facebook - last year on World Tarot Day. I made a deadline - so that I wasn't inundated - and I think it was a "pick a number from 1-78" option for them...
Some people who don't believe in it at all had a go. And a year later I discover - that one of my most sceptical friends on the subject, has now bought the deck that I used there - and is doing daily card draws.
:) :) :)

Or 3-card-quickie like Nisaba?
...1) A secret fear or dream you have, 2) what to do 3) what to avoid...

Things like this maybe?

JMI_Tarot

OK - so maybe I see what you're getting at. (and if you ask me - you may still be allowing yourself to be "pushed" a bit).

Yeah, but I really think a lot of people don't realize what they are asking. And with some people, good friends, you don't want to be too harsh.

Many years ago at a party I asked a guy to show me his arm tattoo, I could see part of it and asked to see the rest. He complied, kind of grudgingly, but another friend standing there, who also had tatts, told me that wasn't cool.

It seems so obvious now, but at the time I really thought people with Tatts wanted to show them. I hadn't considered it was quite a personal thing. I feel really stupid about that now.

Or 3-card-quickie like Nisaba?
...1) A secret fear or dream you have, 2) what to do 3) what to avoid...

Things like this maybe?

That's a good idea. I guess the point it to take control and even if you do go along with it, it's at least on your own terms. Which I think the others will appreciate.

kalliope

But it made me think that it would be nice to develop the skill to do a kind of "Just for Fun" reading for situations like that. Something that uses humour. Like say, all the questions have to be about sex or something silly like that. Or you can only ask me what your pet is thinking.

And then do some kind of actual reading. It might be good practice, no?

I think having a fun or silly spread to fall back on is a great idea!

And for those situations where you want something in between the "fun" and a full/serious reading, I like spreads along the lines of what nisaba suggested. These are especially useful when you're with people who mean well but who "don't believe" in tarot, or who are likely to say the readings "aren't accurate."

General advice or message spreads for the day, week, or whatever, that aren't tied to any question or situation, can get around all that. They can apply them to their lives in their own heads and take the burden off of you. No pressure to actually perform much of a trick!

1 card -- General advice or message
2 cards -- Do, Don't Do(Avoid)
3 cards -- Do, Don't Do, Advice/Guidance

Ruby Jewel

Of course, not everyone needs to take the tarot cards seriously, especially if you do not see them as a connection to the spiritual world. They can be taken frivolously if you don't expect them to take you seriously.

Tanga

Yeah, but I really think a lot of people don't realize what they are asking. And with some people, good friends, you don't want to be too harsh.

Well then explain it to them JMI_Tarot. That's what I do. Lol.
Or if I don't feel they'll understand or don't have the energy to make the effort - then they can just wonder in the silence that I leave. If they're really my friends - they'll leave me the space for that. Good friends - "meet in the middle".

Many years ago at a party I asked a guy to show me his arm tattoo, I could see part of it and asked to see the rest. He complied, kind of grudgingly, but another friend standing there, who also had tatts, told me that wasn't cool.

It seems so obvious now, but at the time I really thought people with Tatts wanted to show them. I hadn't considered it was quite a personal thing. I feel really stupid about that now.

:) Well there again he allowed himself to be "pushed". Lol. (The every-present power dance between people).
And self-assertion could be a whole other topic here. :) (I think I didn't fully learn it - and "claim my full personal power" - until I was... lets see...in my mid 30s maybe...).
Yes - Tattoos are quite personal and not necessarily all about display (I have some myself ;) ).

Of course, not everyone needs to take the tarot cards seriously, especially if you do not see them as a connection to the spiritual world. They can be taken frivolously if you don't expect them to take you seriously.

Frivolity, and connection to the spirit world - don't have to be mutually exclusive imo.
It all depends on your beliefs about the cards. Are they tools? are they entities in themselves? etc.

Ruby Jewel

I think having a fun or silly spread to fall back on is a great idea!

And for those situations where you want something in between the "fun" and a full/serious reading, I like spreads along the lines of what nisaba suggested. These are especially useful when you're with people who mean well but who "don't believe" in tarot, or who are likely to say the readings "aren't accurate."

General advice or message spreads for the day, week, or whatever, that aren't tied to any question or situation, can get around all that. They can apply them to their lives in their own heads and take the burden off of you. No pressure to actually perform much of a trick!

1 card -- General advice or message
2 cards -- Do, Don't Do(Avoid)
3 cards -- Do, Don't Do, Advice/Guidance

Well then explain it to them JMI_Tarot. That's what I do. Lol.
Or if I don't feel they'll understand or don't have the energy to make the effort - then they can just wonder in the silence that I leave. If they're really my friends - they'll leave me the space for that. Good friends - "meet in the middle".

:) Well there again he allowed himself to be "pushed". Lol. (The every-present power dance between people).
And self-assertion could be a whole other topic here. :) (I think I didn't fully learn it - and "claim my full personal power" - until I was... lets see...in my mid 30s maybe...).
Yes - Tattoos are quite personal and not necessarily all about display (I have some myself ;) ).

Frivolity, and connection to the spirit world - don't have to be mutually exclusive imo.
It all depends on your beliefs about the cards. Are they tools? are they entities in themselves? etc.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer. I happen to feel the cards carry a lot of psychic energy. My experience as a reader is that people are emotionally affected by them, and they make dangerous toys.

PS...sorry I don't know how to do the multi quote thing...

Tanga

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer. I happen to feel the cards carry a lot of psychic energy. My experience as a reader is that people are emotionally affected by them, and they make dangerous toys.

PS...sorry I don't know how to do the multi quote thing...

Yes - I understood. I wouldn't say they "carry energy" in themselves (IMO). Only if you believe they do - you "make that happen" as it were. (I'm Wiccan. I have quite a number of "magickal" tools - including several of my Tarot decks.).
But imagery certainly speaks to the deep unconscious of us all. Depends on our programming over our life-time of experience.

I was saying - it is possible to do both.
Ofcourse - as you begin to underline here... it helps to be aware of their power in this regard - both for yourself and their potential effect on others. Psychology... could be a whole other topic...
:)

Ruby Jewel

Yes - I understood. I wouldn't say they "carry energy" in themselves (IMO). Only if you believe they do - you "make that happen" as it were. (I'm Wiccan. I have quite a number of "magickal" tools - including several of my Tarot decks.).
But imagery certainly speaks to the deep unconscious of us all. Depends on our programming over our life-time of experience.

I was saying - it is possible to do both (and not get your knickers in a twist - lol).
Ofcourse - as you begin to underline here... it helps to be aware of their power in this regard - both for yourself and their potential effect on others. Psychology... could be a whole other topic...
:)

I tend to see things rather simply that precludes arbitrary guesswork. What can I say other than my experience with the cards is that they are accurate. The major arcana is archetypal imagery, which are not figments of the imagination. If you feel my underwear is in a knot, then perhaps we will never be on the same page. Frankly, it is irrelevant to me. I only say what I say for whatever it is worth to whomever cares to listen. Perhaps if you decide to be serious about the cards someday you will see it my way and find you don't care to have it both ways.