Tarot of the Zirkus Mägi

Freder

Now that the Kickstarter, the printing, all of the production craziness is behind me, I think I want to add on a thought here. Both here and in another thread I have enthusiastically said that I would encourage everyone to design and create their own deck. That's still true: I learned so much in the process of making this deck: about the tarot specifically, about card design, even about myself. I also made some new friends in the process. It's really true: designing your own deck is about the best thing in the world that anyone who has the slightest interest in it could do.

However.

The "Entrepreneurial Thing," the BUSINESS of getting it produced and published, and of having to promote and market and FUND and then sell the thing...

... THAT is a pain in the ASS.

Especially if you're living and working alone. I can't in good conscience recommend that stuff to any but the most driven individuals. It sucks up your life like a huge black hole. In the words of Ross Perot, "That huge sucking sound" that you hear is your life disappearing. I still have not recovered. It's a shock to the system, and the feeling that you get from it is the opposite of the good feeling you had when you were creating the deck. There is some... actually a lot of gratification when your customers are happy. But praise goes by fast while the agonies of the business and marketing end are long-enduring.

So yes, by all means, create that deck, it will be the best thing you can do. But be warned that the fun comes to a screeching halt the minute that the business of publishing begins. I guess this is why people normally leave that stuff to PUBLISHERS... but I just could not see myself going through the old old process of submitting to a place like US Games and then waiting for six to eight months (or more) for a rejection, just so you can submit to another publisher and wait for another six or eight months for another rejection... THAT process is just as bad in its own way, and nothing gets done while you're waiting. I'm at a stage in my life where I want to put finished projects behind me, so that I can move on to the next one. This seems impossible no matter which course you take...

Onward...

wooden-eye

Freder, Hi.

I second everything you just said and believe me it goes on and on, even when you think you and the deck are out of steam the wind will change and you will be off again.......but then something really amazing happens; you start accidentally finding people writing about your deck in strange out of the way parts of the Internet and sometimes they write such good things it makes you cry.
Thank you Freder.
and a damned heartfelt "well done" for your deck, I missed your kick-starter, I was off for a while; Tarot and I were ' on a break '.
If you can bare to sell any more. Can I have a one please?

Wooden-eye

Freder

YAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!! My TAROT OF THE ZIKUS MÄGI is now available as an iOS or Android APP from THE FOOL'S DOG!

The Little White Book is also included in a more complete version. And as an extra bonus, the complete novel that inspired the deck, SEE THEM DANCE is also a part of the package --- and they've done a wonderful job with it!

No matter what device you use, this page at The Fool's Dog site has links that will get you to the appropriate store: http://www.foolsdog.com/ZirkusMagi/

Artemisbell

Super! I love it! I must have one!! Congratulations!

Alta

Good news for me; just bought your app!

Vanchica

COngrats, that is awesome- I shared that all over facebook!