What do I have?

jolie_amethyst

So a while back, my husband brought home from work a box of mixed fossils, raw gems, and odd bits of metal found on trips all over the place. Someone's relative had passed it on; it had been through several hands before it reached ours, and almost nothing is labeled.

Looking at some of it this morning, I pulled out this green stone and tried to figure out what it was. I'm torn between some kind of granite or serpentine, but I really don't know enough about stones to figure this out. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 143

PathWalker

Colour makes me think straight away of Serpentine, but I wouldn't know how to verify that, sorry.

Nice to have such a collection though, enjoy.

linnie

So a while back, my husband brought home from work a box of mixed fossils, raw gems, and odd bits of metal found on trips all over the place. Someone's relative had passed it on; it had been through several hands before it reached ours, and almost nothing is labeled.

Looking at some of it this morning, I pulled out this green stone and tried to figure out what it was. I'm torn between some kind of granite or serpentine, but I really don't know enough about stones to figure this out. Any thoughts?

I'd definitely go with serpentine :) Serpentine comes in so many colour variations, but the combination of the pale and dark green, in that rich apple colour, with some opaqueness vs transparency, it really feels like serpentine. I love this stone. i have a large chunk of it in the centre of my labyrinth, as it heals both the earth and people, and creates a very calm and peaceful energy. It's a pity that it's unpolished, as an unpolished piece would have offered a clue in its waxy feel... :)

stonesatiety

A beautiful stone. Is that a sparkle of pyrite in the upper corner? If so, lately its often called "serpentine with healers gold." A nearby store has some that I like. You can look at the stone in the sun or bright light to check for sparkles of pyrite.