Thoth copyright question?!

reall

I just finished art project that improved my coloring skill significantly! now time to improve lineart!x,x :)) so was thinking to try it out on Thoth Tarot?x,x as it seems interesting and it would give me a chance to work with it more and learn more about it?x,x
it wouldn't be the same as original as there would be no tracing or anything like that but not sure *heavily based is ok for copyright?x,x advice plz! thank you!^^:))

Zephyros

Are you talking about copyright for commercial purposes? Or for your own use? What is this project?

In any case the Thoth is very much under copyright, and the OTO does go after copyright violators. For personal use you can do anything you want, of course. The OTO won't come with its secret police in the middle of the night to take your art.

schizandra

There is a section of copyright law in the U.S. known as "substantial similarity" that can be used to accuse someone of copyright infringement if the work in question is similar enough in "look and feel" to the original. It's a vague and kind of scary thing that seems like it could be leveraged easily by anyone with a good enough lawyer. So many RWS based decks could potentially be taken off the market if US Games decided it was going to pursue the creators/publishers of every tarot that is substantially similar to the RWS. To my knowledge, no copyright holder of Tarot decks has ever done so. I'll admit it's not like I pay THAT close attention, but it seems like something like that would cause ripples in the Tarot community.

There's something called the idea-expression divide that may give Tarot creators a bit of protection. Basically, because ideas cannot be copyrighted, we only have to make sure we don't infringe on an existing tarot's expression of the idea. Still, where the line falls between idea and expression is blurry, specifically in the Tarot world. The Fool as an archetype for new beginnings is an idea that can be expressed in many ways. The image of a vagabond and his dog on a cliff is an idea that can be expressed in many ways. But the RWS for example *expresses* the idea of the Fool archetype as a vagabond and his dog on a cliff. Seems to me like yet another vagary in copyright law that a lawyer could potentially exploit.

All that said, it seems to me that the players in Tarot publication are ethical enough not to sue for copyright infringement based on substantial similarity. In the case of the Thoth Tarot, I can think of two decks - the Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal and the Rosetta Tarot - that could easily be accused of substantial similarity to the Thoth based on some (or many) of the cards in those decks. Half the battle of suing for copyright infringement is proving that the accused creators/publishers had access to the original work when they created their new work. The Liber T and the Rosetta were publicized by their creators as being inspired by the Thoth, so that part of the battle would already be won by OTO should they ever decide to sue based on substantial similarity. And yet both those decks are still out and about and being enjoyed by the Tarot community. Unless the creators of those decks were given explicit permission to create what could be argued to be derivative works of the Thoth, it seems that the OTO is above suing artists for creating Thoth-similar works.

reall

Are you talking about copyright for commercial purposes? Or for your own use? What is this project?

In any case the Thoth is very much under copyright, and the OTO does go after copyright violators. For personal use you can do anything you want, of course. The OTO won't come with its secret police in the middle of the night to take your art.
ha ha! let's hope it wont! lolz :)) I was just thinking it as an art practice?:) with option to post it on line i.e on my blog and deviant art acc or make some prints later etc?:)) as it's hardly I would be able to take on whole deck!x,x

@shizandra you are right on spot!x,x that was exactly my idea!x,x I don't plan copying or tracing but if I go with similar symbols presented on cards how likely is it end up copyright case?!x,x facepalms :))
guess I'll had to make few examples first and post for people to say?:))

btw tnx 4 pointing up at good examples!:)) I guess my idea is closer to something like Rosetta? so I'm on safe side?;)) uh, feel much better now!^^ lolz :))