Planets in retrograde in natal chart?

AmethystEyes

What does that mean? I have Jupiter RX Cancer and my node is RX Aquarius? What do these mean? Is it bad?

lilangel09

I have read that it can mean that the energies of the planets manifest themselves in a more introverted way, but maybe someone else can elaborate on this. I haven't heard of it being something necessarily 'bad', and I have at least 3 retrograde planets. No worries.

Minderwiz

Firstly the Nodes are ALWAYS retrograde, EVERYONE therefore has retrograde Nodes.

On average, a chart contains 3 retrograde planets. If Jupiter is your only retrograde then you are below the average level. Retrogradation is an accidental debility, but that is only one factor in evaluating the strength of a planet - Jupiter is also in Exaltation in Cancer, so that outweighs the retrogradation. The house position and various other factors also need to be considered.

AmethystEyes

Chiron isn't a planet is it? Well that's the only other retrograde that's in Cancer as well.

Libra8ca

Firstly, it is difficult to assess a retrograde planet verus a direct planet. A few things that I have read and found some truth to:
a lot of retrograde planets are not good for health (and I would only count the personal planets here - Mercury to Saturn and not the generational ones - Uranus to Pluto). If no planets are retrograde then success often comes early in life. Overall, I think direct planets give less difficulties and are easier than retrograde planets but there are always exceptions. I "only" have Saturn retrograde and it does not appear to be good :(

Minderwiz

DevilishAngel said:
Chiron isn't a planet is it? Well that's the only other retrograde that's in Cancer as well.

Well Chiron does have a lot of fans, so I think you would find that a few Astrologers would count it as important. It's not a planet though, it is a 'Centaur type object'. It orbits from just inside the perihelion of Saturn to just outside the perihelion of Uranus and it's motion is rather chaotic.

Unless you've got very good reasons to include it in your interpretations, I'd advise you to leave it alone until you have a good understanding of the traditional planets (and indeed the outer planets) in terms of Astrological interpretation

AmethystEyes

Minderwiz said:
Firstly the Nodes are ALWAYS retrograde, EVERYONE therefore has retrograde Nodes.

On average, a chart contains 3 retrograde planets. If Jupiter is your only retrograde then you are below the average level. Retrogradation is an accidental debility, but that is only one factor in evaluating the strength of a planet - Jupiter is also in Exaltation in Cancer, so that outweighs the retrogradation. The house position and various other factors also need to be considered.
So does that mean that when Jupiter is RX in Cancer it doesn't have an effect? If so, then do the other factors surrounding the placement matter?

Minderwiz

Not quite, Jupiter Direct in Cancer is stronger than Jupiter Retrograde in Cancer but Jupiter Direct in Cancer is strong, and may be stronger depending on other factors. On the other hand Jupiter Retrograde in Cancer is stronger than Jupiter Direct in Gemini or Virgo. It's a matter of weighing up a series of factors, which come under the headings of Essential and Accidental dignities.

Essential dignities depend on sign and position in the sign. Rulerships and Exaltation are the ones used by most Astrologers, but traditionally there are three other types as well. Detriment and Fall are essential debilities - being in the opposite sign to rulership and exaltation.

Accidental dignities include house positions, so Jupiter in the first is stronger than Jupiter in the eighth for example. Retrogradation is an aTccidental dignity but so are speed, position relative to the Sun and aspects from either benefics such as Jupiter and Venus or aspects to malefics such as Saturn and Neptune.

The job of the Astrologer is to weigh up the balance of factors in order to decide how the planet is likely to express within a chart.