Hanson Roberts - O The Fool

Lurea

Oh, and let's not forget how stubborn idealists can be as well! ;)

have a question, though--when y'all get the Fool in a reading, what does it usually refer to? In my limited experience, it usually seems to indicate immaturity, not a fresh new start. What's been some of the memorable readings the rest of you have gotten?

tarotlova

Well Lurea_aure when I get this card in a spread I do think that there will be a new start, but I am a bit aprehensive about it, or I am not looking at things in a new way, I'm sticking to my old guns so to speak when mabey I should be a little more carfree, and not so ridgid, or even that I may have been a bit foolish in a way, it really all depends on the question I think and surrounding cards. Blessings

rachelcat

<Catching up with my study group assignments> Hi, everyone. Sorry I'm late!

The embroidery on the Fool's shirt makes me think he is a peasant. He has never left his villiage before, so there are many things he has never seen. Like Parsifal, he is so innocent that he seems to be a fool. Parsifal's mother raised him in total isolation to protect him from a predicted fate (?) The first time he sees a knight, he thinks the knight is an angel. As soon as he finds out he can become a knight himself, he takes off on his quest, which becomes the quest for the holy grail.

Innocence and beginnings!

Flavio

I just got a nice book written by Karen Hamker-Zondag is the spanish translation of her book called De Tarot als levenweg (The way of the Tarot) this book is based on the RWS deck, in the early chapters she compares RWS clones to the original RWS deck in order to explain why the RWS deck symbolism feels right to her, this is what she said about the Hanson Roberts' Fool:

Fool walking to the left
In Marseilles style decks, the Fool walk to the right (active-masculine), in middle ages the reason and thought was not as advanced as today, so we can understand the Fool as the symbol of our wish to develop our personality walks to the "development" direction.

In our time we had become technology dependent rational beigns, the Fool walking to the left calls our atention to claim back our receptive-femenine values and accept that "no-rational" things do happen in our existence. This made a lot of sense to me because I always thought the Fool should walk to the right as we are taught that "move ahead" in a drawing is "moving to the right".

Fool without a dog
This Fool has to be more in connection with his instinctive side otherwise he can not face the cliff or another dangers on his journey.

Ann Yu

A youngster. Energy.

1. Look at the colors:
Red lips, blue eyes. He looks so young and healthy. Blonde hair makes me feel like being young. Red shirt - full of "blood", burning energy. Look at that blue towel on his neck, it's full of hope. His trousers are brown, full of "nature".
The grass is green. The nature is growing.
2. Symbols
He's looking up at the sky. Maybe he's believing, hoping. Maybe he's singing.
The white rose shows the naive spirit. He's a freshman with pure heart. He may have picked this flower along the journey. Yes, he loves everything around.
His bag is small... Well, his knowledge is not much. The bad is tiny and enough for a youngster like him.
3. Others
As you can see, there's a wind in the picture (I can see his outfit flying backward). The weather is cool or he is ready to face every storm ahead?

The wind may be telling an upcoming storm? He doesn't know and he doesn't care! The white moutain far away... is that snow? Is that cold? It's far and he just doesn't care again. All are left behind.