Victoria Regina - Eight of Cups

GryffinSong

In many ways this is a very traditional eight of cups. A woman walks away from the mason jars, and doesn't look back. The landscape is rough and stony. It's a hard road she's climbing, and although the land is beautiful around her, it's very steep and dangerous, with presumably potential dangers ahead. An interesting dimension is added by the use of Mason jars instead of goblets. Mason jars hold food. Sustenance. Not simply wine or water. It's as if this woman is willing to give up everything that sustains her to move on. I'm reminded of wives who leave their abusive husbands with nothing, just to get away. I'm reminded of witness protection, where entire families leave everything and everyone they've ever known in order to escape retribution. I'm reminded of all of the times that a person has left behind the known, the safe, the successful, in order to follow a dream, or to save themselves. There is no guarantee of better up the trail, but she knows that she has to go anyway.

Very interesting card.

annik

I like what you say, GryffinSong! It expand a bit more how I see the card.
Personally, I like the mason jar. It's original and well thought. I always got the feeling that the woman on this card had nothing more to put in the jars. She no longer able to fill them. The resources to fill them is no longer in existence. She is forced to go else where to start anew.

GryffinSong

...I always got the feeling that the woman on this card had nothing more to put in the jars. She no longer able to fill them. The resources to fill them is no longer in existence. She is forced to go else where to start anew.

That's a really interesting thought, and one that hadn't come to mind. So thanks to you, too, for expanding my understanding. :)

annik

Ah, it was mutual. It's always a pleasure. This is why I like the study group here!