the hierophant

jeremykalner

would anyone like to shaire there experantses on the hierophant , as they've experants it , in there life , and the workings of him

Sophie

I've met a few Hierophants in my life - the good ones and the difficult ones - though sometimes, the same Hierophant can be in turn beneficial and a nuisance. Your favourite teacher - the one who got you really working and disciplined but also who made you understand what you were learning and get excited about it: that's a Hierophant. The teacher who tries to mold you in his image - that's also a Hierophant.

Hierophants are the guardians of tradition - for all that is good and bad about tradition. He passes on tradition, and keeps it tied up; he transmits and he freezes.

The Hierophant also represents any profession that has some kind of spiritual or mental authority - teachers, doctors, justices of the peace, and of course - spiritual leaders (of whatever tradition, Eastern, Western, etc.). It can be a priest, a shaman, a martial arts master, an esoteric leader.

But the Hierophant card is not only about a person: a situation can be a Hierphant situation. You long to leave your family firm but feel bound by a father-to-son tradition? That's the Hierophant at play in your mind. You like a girl and want to marry her in a traditional way? - that's also the Hierophant.

In my case, the best Hierophants have taught me, disciplined me and challenged me - and brought me to another place, spiritually or mentally. They have taught me tradition without making me its prisoner. I have a shamanic teacher who has some wonderful Hierophant qualities about her, but she loves freedom and would never be a guru. She gives great advice too. I don't do too well with the other sort, so I avoid them :D.

In my own mind, I know I am working with the Hierophant when I adhere to tradition - for good or ill. For example, when I put on a correct funeral suit and a suitable face when going to a funeral; or when I go to a Church for a wedding, though I am not Christian. I am paying my dues to tradition in those ways.

star-lover

heirophant in my readings has said listen to your mum and dad, best friends, advisors and dont do what you are thinking of doing

he was right as it turned out

safety button is how i see this card- we might not like it at the time but thats how it is for me - a a protecting factor when you need it

Fulgour

a few thoughts, after many...

The Hierophant, traditionally titled Le Pape, is actually neither, for this is Tarot and formal titles and meanings are merely starting points. "The Hierophant" signifies tradition, in all its forms, active and passive, positive and negative. The answer to the card's meaning, like the vision of a prophet, may be told in words, but only truly known in the heart.
The Hierophant : Fourth Aeclectic Community Tarot Deck
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/4/major_hierophant.shtml

Fourth Aeclectic Community Tarot
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/project/4/

jeremykalner

thanks

i will take thos points and think about them, he is sitting there next to the wheel of fortune. as the general situation. and card 6 the emperorand card 8 the high priestess, is it so normal to get so many major arcana in a spred.
because i was thinking some thing else

zach bender

should

for me, (5) hierophant represents an external norm, what someone else thinks you "should" do. there is a certain mathematical probability for getting x majors in a ten card spread, lemme think: 22/78.

anyway, yours strike me as maybe pairing 10/5 and 4/2, suggesting (15) devil and (6) lovers (which are, after all, each other's shadow or echo, or whatever). ethical choices affecting someone you are close to, and a tendency to self-destructive indulgences.

zb