a dumb question...

.traveller.

Can anyone tell me why the nine of pentacles is commonly associated with solitude? Is it just by association with The Hermit IX?

Sulis

I think it's to do with The Hermit yes but I think that it has a lot to do with the image on the RWS card.

The RWS card shows a woman, alone in a walled garden. She has luxuries galore and all she needs yet she is alone and the hedges and walls that surround her cut her off from the outside world.

I often read with Marseilles decks and (apart from the link to The Hermit), I don't think that solitude would immediately spring to mind if reading with a non-scenic deck.

star-lover

in my deck the cosmic the 9 of wands is one of 2 things

a kept woman who is happy or

a woman who is indepednent financially etc

i cant tell the difference in my pic cos she is happy with her home car garden ornaments jewels etc etc and she is looking out for the home coming/return of her other half - im tending to think kept woman

then again thinking about kept woman syndrome
not all non working wives dont contribute
they contribute in many non financial ways to the husband to the marriage the kids and the career etc

but either which way she is happy adn doesnt have financial problems and has time on her hands and hobbies

.traveller.

I was doing an exercise where I would draw two cards and compare/contrast them within the concept of a theme (relationship, career, etc) and the nine of pentacles was paired with the queen of wands. This was when I really started questioning the solitude bit because I found myself comparing the two women in the cards and solitude didn't seem to be what the nine was about. Or I could say that any of the queens could represent solitude because of their status and therefore one could find solitude in a variety of forms in any number of cards... okay, starting to ramble.
Back to the nine, I could interpret self-reliance and independance, or as star-lover suggested, a "kept woman" which does have a sense of loneliness/solitude about it. The solitude bit always seemed to be association with another trait, rather than the prime meaning of the card and I guess I am left wondering...

Apocalipstick

Hmm... this card to me has always been more about self-sufficiency than solitude. At first glance, self-sufficiency may pass for solitary tendencies, and while those may be there, the focus is more on independence than wanting to be alone.

The two--independence and solitude--do tend to be confused at times.

ana luisa

First, your question is not dumb AT ALL. I have always had problems with this card. it´s a bit bland to my taste. (I prefer the Tower LOL). I see why you may find it associated to solitude. I think it is more as said before an "optional" solitude than something forced upon her. Morever, I see this card more as a card for self-discipline, minding your force, manners, etc. I tend to look more at the bird than I do at the lady. Taming the bird of prey so that it looks presentable...If you have a look at the New vision Tarot, it shows the woman facing a city far away. It could also give the message that, "now that I have accumulated enough wealth, and that I can be as self-disciplined as the situation requires, I can do what I want". Is she an independent woman, yes. Isolated, yes. Lonely? Not necessarily.

mollymawk

It's not wealth, trust me. Cos I've been having this card pop up since September, and as not-wealthy goes...you don't want to know.

Granted, sufficient money can be a meaning, but it's not the only one. I still haven't sussed it (mostly cos of the way it keeps turning up for me), but the solitude isn't necessarily forced, as someone above said--it's something you enjoy for however long, and I think it can also indicate self-reliance more than millions of dollars--big difference when you think about it.

I know there's more there--refinement, for one thing (and that clicks). If I get an a-ha! about this one, I'll let you know. But there's quite a bit you can see in the Waite card. Intuition, having been through the school of hard knocks (we're talking Yesod in Assiah here), and it is success--just by that time, success isn't always what we normally think of it as.

Qofcups

When I started reading tarot I was 18 years old, my concerns were romance, what am I going to be when I grow up, and will I ever move out of my parents house.

The nine of pentacles, at that time, made me think if the security of living under my parents roof. I had my own bills, here and there--cell phone, car insurance--but for the most part I was surviving because of them, and it was a safe but restrictive feeling. And because I was in college, my schedule was different from the rest of the family. I was home most mornings, in school most afternoons and working most nights. I had a lot of alone time--aside from my social life.

Now I am a stay at home mom, and both of my kids are now in school for at least part of the day and week, so, for two days a week, for three hours, I am all alone in my home. Now that card represents those six liberating hours!

It is amazing how life changes your first instincts about a card.

Grizabella

To me, the 9 of Pentacles just means that she's able to be self-sufficient in all ways, including emotionally. She can choose to be with someone else----IF she wants to---but she's fine without a romantic relationship. She's self-contained and self-sufficient like that little snail in the RWS card.

Little Hare

There is Never a dumb question