Impressions on the Celtic Lenormand

ana luisa

Just got my Celtic Lenormand and wanted to share some impressions. Overall, I'm VERY happy about purchasing it. The pictures are gorgeous, no borders (yay!),the colors are vivid and pop out and the stock is also nice to shuffle, slightly matt,sturdy but not hard, perfect, in short.

I already did some readings; it seems the deck likes working with me and the messages were extremely clear :) My only disappointment was the size. Most certainly my fault but I didn't realize it came in poker size cards... The art is so nice, it deserved bigger renditions. But, for now, it's the only drawback.
Btw, the fact that there are extra cards for Women, Men, Child, Snake,Tree and Birds is by all means a plus. My last reading involved two female friends and there you have it, the two ladies showed up in the spread ! :thumbsup:
For those who have also bought it, what were your impressions ? I would love to hear how you feel about this deck !

IHeartRescues

Hi ana luisa :)

If I remember correctly the Celtic was my first Lenormand over a year ago and I was VERY pleased. I happen to like the bridge-size esp since the images fill the entire card (yes I do mean borderless) and the cards seem to be very well made as you pointed out.
I knew it wasn't traditional, yet it is still my favorite of the modern-style decks. (I know it's Old Celtic themed tho). Adore the colors and energy and the overall mood--really lovely and quirky at once.
The extra cards are great! but I do have issues: the pallid little Heart that I can barely detect, the difference between the House and the Tower (is there any?), I think Stars has a man holding a telescope and maybe there is a boat floating by....? Relying purely on memory here. (these kind of things actually bother me when it comes to Lenormand).
Also found the book is really helpful and came in a good strong box so overall I think you made a VERY good choice obtaining the Celtic. Don't really care for themed Lenormands often, but never regretted this one.

I saw this being discussed not too long ago also.

Enjoy!

Village Witch

I had a problem with the Heart card at first as I kept mistaking it for the Clouds. I don't use playing card inserts, so no having them on the cards was a huge plus. I love the vibrant rich colors and the flavor of the cards. The card size is a little smaller than I like, but the deck shuffles nicely and has become one of my favorite decks.

Village Witch

As I haven't used the Celtic Lenormand recently, I decided to read with it this morning. I went through the deck one card at a time to familiarize myself with the cards.

I mistook the Bouquet for the Garden as the Bouquet is a field of wildflowers. I didn't understand the Garden card looking like a picnic, but I suppose you would picnic in a park or a garden. The Garden card spoke more to me of bounty rather than the social aspect I usually associate with the Garden. Another interpretation to consider.

The House and Coffin cards gave me pause as they are very similar.

The Ring card took me a minute to decipher with two hands clasping in agreement/sealing a deal. Nice interpretation, but it confused me at first.

I rather liked the Stars card with the man looking to the stars for direction and guidance.

I liked the Snake shedding its skin as it gave me another insight/interpretation of the Snake that I don't often consider.

My personal experience is that when I first started reading Lenormand, I needed a traditional deck. Now that I have a better handle on reading the cards, I am enjoying the liberties some artists take with their renderings of the cards.

A very nice deck overall.

Barleywine

I'll know soon. A few of my other Lenormand decks are on the small side (the Pixie, of course, is off the chart), so I don't think smallish will be a problem. Better than the alternative for shuffling purposes (at least as I do it).

greatdane

I agree with Village Witch

While I loved the style of the deck, artwork, I want a deck I can read instantly out of the box. A Lenormand, for me personally, should be very clear. I should look at a card and know which is the Bouquet, Garden, Fox, etc. If there is a card that is not clear until I go through the whole deck by process of elimination to figure it out, not a deck I will likely want to use.
Sure, I can get used to a deck that has images that aren't instantly clear, but I don't want to have to. The reason I love Lenormand is the simplicity and clarity. Love different styles of art, can have backgrounds, but the main image, I want easily identifiable and front and center.

But that's just my preference. For those who love this deck, I get why. LOVELY artwork.

ana luisa

Hi GD ! I figured you wouldn't like the "guessing" game ... ;) I agree with the Heart card but not because it's not instantly recognizeable but because it is not as intense and pulsating as other heart depictions. I like my love PASSIONATE ! :D
I also adore the fact that there are optional/extra cards. Especially the Snake and Tree. Those are my favorites !

Village Witch

While I loved the style of the deck, artwork, I want a deck I can read instantly out of the box. A Lenormand, for me personally, should be very clear. I should look at a card and know which is the Bouquet, Garden, Fox, etc. If there is a card that is not clear until I go through the whole deck by process of elimination to figure it out, not a deck I will likely want to use.
Sure, I can get used to a deck that has images that aren't instantly clear, but I don't want to have to. The reason I love Lenormand is the simplicity and clarity. Love different styles of art, can have backgrounds, but the main image, I want easily identifiable and front and center.

But that's just my preference. For those who love this deck, I get why. LOVELY artwork.

Your post got me thinking.

The deck I read with this morning, depicted the Birds card with a pair of owls. Most of the decks I own show the Birds card as simple little birds twittering about. I tend to read the Birds card as chatter, gossip, and sometimes squabbles. When I see owls on the Birds card, I think of advice from "wise old owls". I sometimes feel the the predator side of the owls.

It's been my experience that Spirit guides my choice of reading deck.