cards considered as protection in Rider-Waite Deck

eurjwl

I was recently reading web articles about The Hierophant and found a couple that said in past times this card was considered one of the three cards of protection. I have been searching trying to find what the other two cards are without success. Would appreciate some help if anyone knows. Thanks.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic!

I've never heard of the Hierophant referred to as one of the three cards of protection. Do you remember what website you read that on?

I'm guessing the Hierophant is included as representative of the Church. So I'd guess the Emperor might be included as representative of the State. And maybe Justice as the third representing morality or law or society?

Rodney

eurjwl

Hierophant as a protector

Thanks for the welcome!!
One of the sites is tarotreadingsecrets.com. I found it by a Google search of The Hierophant card meaning. There is at least one more site I have not found yet. I've done so much reading lately it's hard to keep track.
Another site stated The Hierophant in earlier times used to be The High Priest if so maybe one of the other three cards is the High Priestess (?). I had never heard this either and it sparked an interest. Lately The Hierophant and The High Priestess have shown up in my personal readings so I was curious.
Thanks again for responding.

rwcarter

From the website mentioned earlier:

tarotreadingsecrets website said:
The Hebrew letter representing the Hierophant is Vau, which means “nail,” something that holds things together. He connects the subject to a higher power or purpose, serving as the connective device between the holy and the mundane.
Ultimately, the Hierophant symbolizes the world of faith, and the trust that’s central to true faith. In earlier times, the Hierophant was considered one of the three protective cards of the Tarot, which would shine a positive light on the spread, not matter what the reading. It’s an interesting interpretation, because it says that the benefits of deep trust extend to our trust in ourselves, in our personal relationships, and in our ability to guide our own future. The card also illustrates the happy result of making ethical choices and basing our decisions on moral values.

So in context, protective appears to mean always positive when it appears in a spread. And since the write-up also mentions moral values, I think that takes Justice out of the running.

In light of what's quoted above, I'd suggest the Empress and possibly the Lovers as the other two protective cards.

Rodney

eurjwl

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
What started my interest was the fact I had never heard this before and it sounded more historical than opinion based. I am very selective when it comes to reading other peoples analysis of Tarot. I'll keep looking and if I find anything further I'll post it. There are at least two more sites with the same reference.

James

Dvirgo

Very interesting never thought about it that way I also thought of the empress first then the high priestess
Thank you for posting that and welcome :)

Teheuti

The three cards of protection (grounding & setting boundaries) could refer to the three earth signs (using GD attributions):
Taurus - Hierophant
Virgo - Hermit
Capricorn- Devil

But, I've never heard of this idea before so I'm just guessing - as everyone else seems to be doing.

Parzival

Cards Considered As Protection

This would seem to be those pictures with protective angels, possibly Lovers, Temperance, and Judgment. But I see the Ace of Cups as protective as well, since it is the Grail, a potent protective and healing force.

rwcarter

Frank Hall said:
This would seem to be those pictures with protective angels, possibly Lovers, Temperance, and Judgment. But I see the Ace of Cups as protective as well, since it is the Grail, a potent protective and healing force.
Interesting idea. But, as defined on the original website, "the Hierophant was considered one of the three protective cards of the Tarot...." There are no angels present on that card and there would only be two other cards considered to be protective. Although you do raise a good point that the other two cards don't have to be Majors. I just assumed that part.

Rodney

celticnoodle

eurjwl said:
I was recently reading web articles about The Hierophant and found a couple that said in past times this card was considered one of the three cards of protection. I have been searching trying to find what the other two cards are without success. Would appreciate some help if anyone knows. Thanks.

welcome eurjwl. great question, and it sent me out to find the answer, but I do not have a full answer.

I did find a website that indicates the Hierophant is a card of protection and also the Hermit card. however, I have not uncovered the 3rd card---yet. :)

the site I found this info on was here: http://www.squidoo.com/meaning-of-tarot-cards

and I'll continue to search for card #3. maybe Teheuti is correct, tho i have a hard time seeing the Devil as a protector.