The Cups

TheoMo

Hey Thoth readers,

I've been studying the Thoth for a lil while now, but there are some cards (especially in the cups suit) that I have trouble differentiating. Specifically:

3 of cups (abundance)
4 of cups (luxury)
6 of cups (pleasure)

I have read what Crowley wrote about them in his book, and even checked out various websites to see the interpretations.

Despite that, when I do readings, and one of those cups cards appears, I have trouble connecting to my insight to see what these cards are trying to tell me. I approach each card as kind of a "gateway" into my insight, as a way of framing what type of message I should get getting out ( I dont' know if that made any sense). But with these cards, I can't really do that yet.

In other words -- what is the difference between abundance and pleasure? or luxury and pleasure? how should one view these cups in relation to each other, in relation to the suit as a whole, and so on?

theo

Diwha

Abundance,Luxury,Pleasure

Theo
If you break things down to one of it's simplest forms, I believe it allows for different insights.
Abundance : relative degree of plentifulness
Pleasure : a source of delight or joy
Luxury : a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort : something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary

I always try to ask myself ''Is it for my(his or hers) pleasure or my happiness'' The answer then becomes easier because pleasure dosen't last and happiness does.

Diwha

TheoMo

Diwha that makes perfect sense -- thank you for your explanation!

Dean

The three of cups Conception and celebrations pleasure no burdens no cares.

rachelcat

I think luxury also suggests a bit of overkill. You can have "simple abundance," but when you get to "luxury," you are (or can be) overdoing it. It kind of fits in with the RWS 4 cups guy who doesn't even notice the new cup from the sky. Maybe he's had too much to drink already, so he can't enjoy something new as much as he should.

So--you can have abundance or luxury and not necessarily pleasure. Pleasure is more dependent on an inner state of mind. Abundance is more of an outer situation.

But that's all fluid, of course. We could be the exact opposite of the 4 cups guy--have only one muffin between the two of us and it could seem like an abundant banquet if we have the right attitude!