Devil reversed as relationship outcome

Adriana

What would you make of this card in this position?
I could see 2 extremes; one being an end to a sort of power struggle, codependancy within the relationship, or even an end to the relationship itself, especially if those issues are present. Or losing interest in the great temptation that the other person/relationship held for them.

The other a continuation of some issues even when seeing how bad things are. Or an unwillingness to deal with issues in fear of something they think could happen if they walked away. Mabe children/financial concerns involved.

Update: Just 1-2 weeks after this question it was over between them.

pinkcrow

I see it as a break up, but a positive one. Being "freed from chains".

headincloud

An oppressive relationship which may or may not be on the verge of breakup but it probably won't last too long with that amount of tension whatever the picture.

Adriana

It was my first thought when seeing it. Break up, but then the mind wanders :)

LuzBlanca

I see it as both depending on what cards come after it.....
in the past the Devil almost always meant breakup, but it was a long, tedious process before the actual thing happened... The Devil reversed could mean not dealing with things, or that its presence it's there (attachments) being ignored.

Also breaking those attachments or restrictions, based on surrounding cards.

Years back when I did spreads on someone else's relationship, I got the Devil when a guy had broken up with his date and they had a very adult and open conversation about their needs, he laid out that he was not seeking a relationship but was attracted to her and did not want to misled her, and she agreed to continue seeing him....

BUT....her intentions were the "devil"... she had deep attachments and dishonest intentions, I also see a lot of sex involved... like attracting the other person based on sex, etc for the wrong reasons... the Devil also meant this would go on for a while...the Devil takes a while to break up... but it very often leads there and painfully.....

I also got the Devil when I asked about an employer that had promised me work would start but it would always be put on hold... his was so well spoken and seemed so trustful, but again the Devil warned me that this would go on forever! and that it was going to be a very addictive situation (both my needs for the job and willing to wait with a blindfold, and the employer not being honest).....

SunChariot

What would you make of this card in this position?
I could see 2 extremes; one being an end to a sort of power struggle, codependancy within the relationship, or even an end to the relationship itself, especially if those issues are present. Or losing interest in the great temptation that the other person/relationship held for them.

The other a continuation of some issues even when seeing how bad things are. Or an unwillingness to deal with issues in fear of something they think could happen if they walked away. Mabe children/financial concerns involved.

Either things turning into something purely sexual with nothing else left. OR one or both of the partners being tempted to (and most likely doing) something that is not good for the relationship. Could well talk about having an affair, some kind of cheating. Probably the 2 combined. Having a meaningless affair which still in the relationship.

Babs

Grizabella

You may think this is coming out of left field here---my Tarot Muse is kind of like that :p ---but my first thought was that it might apply where one of the parties has agreed to try some bondage but then, once tried, they changed their mind and don't want to participate in that anymore. This is just an example, mind you. It wouldn't always mean that.

The end of a co-dependency relationship is also a good thought. It's not possible, if you're co-dependent, to just suddenly not be. It's a long process to shake that tendency off, but it definitely could apply, as Adriana suggested. :)

Sunnrise83

Ha! I found how to quote,lol ( only second post, please excuse the newbieness)

I also agree that the Devil rx points to a break-up and releasing of chains, usually from a situation that was unhealthy to begin with. One of the interpretations in the upright position speaks of giving into temptation and ignoring your instincts so i can see the reverse being that one of you starts listening to your instincts and makes a break for it.

When this card comes up for me i usually look at it as me " dodging a bullet", dodging a situation that wasn't on the up & up/ healthy to begin with... kind of reminds me of the saying that " the devil is in the details" which would translate to the signs always being there that it was an unhealthy attachment but there was a refusal to see beyond the temptation of the prospect of happiness/ desired outcome.

EmpyreanKnight

In the love outcome position, depending on the surrounding cards, I might also view the Devil reversed as the dismantling of the obsessions, vanities, and manifold neuroses that may have marked the previous state of the relationship. The Devil has now been overthrown from his perch, the unhealthy chains that have bound the Lovers have been loosed, and for a while at least they're given some breathing space to collect themselves and take stock of all the things that have happened. All is not simply well though: by the progression of the Major Arcana, the next logical step would be the Tower wherein the foundation of the relationship is shaken by the previous revelations that welled up during their battle with the Devil. Still this may just be a rough but necessary patch in their ascent to the more divine atus. If they survive the sturm und drang, their bond can be made stronger, leading to the culmination of their joy in the card of the World. One step at a time though.

If the surrounding cards are dire though, yup the breaking of the metaphorical chains might indicate a real-life break up .

Adriana

I see it as both depending on what cards come after it.....
in the past the Devil almost always meant breakup, but it was a long, tedious process before the actual thing happened... The Devil reversed could mean not dealing with things, or that its presence it's there (attachments) being ignored.

Also breaking those attachments or restrictions, based on surrounding cards.

Years back when I did spreads on someone else's relationship, I got the Devil when a guy had broken up with his date and they had a very adult and open conversation about their needs, he laid out that he was not seeking a relationship but was attracted to her and did not want to misled her, and she agreed to continue seeing him....

BUT....her intentions were the "devil"... she had deep attachments and dishonest intentions, I also see a lot of sex involved... like attracting the other person based on sex, etc for the wrong reasons... the Devil also meant this would go on for a while...the Devil takes a while to break up... but it very often leads there and painfully.....

I also got the Devil when I asked about an employer that had promised me work would start but it would always be put on hold... his was so well spoken and seemed so trustful, but again the Devil warned me that this would go on forever! and that it was going to be a very addictive situation (both my needs for the job and willing to wait with a blindfold, and the employer not being honest).....

This makes sense, too. And theres definately an inequality in there, the two people being chained are totally in the will of the devil and when he wants that to happen. (devil meaning a person or something of value).