Cards that stand out.

thinbuddha

It never occured to me to use the card for a reading.... but if it means something to you, carry on!

spiral

Good old Hex/3 Magus argument eh? Personally I don't use them in my deck, simply because Crowley never intended for them to be used. Since I am spending a lot of time trying to understand Crowley's system these whimsical additions aren't helpful to me. Maybe once I'ver studied and understood his system well enough then I can forge forwards and come up with my own system/deck. But right now I don't feel that tampering with an incredibly well-knit system of symbology is the way forward for me.

What you decide is good for you (the royal 'you') is entirely up to you.

Alta

I also keep the extra cards with the pack, but don't include them in readings.

I wouldn't know what the hex meant if it came up in a reading. I feel the same about other extra cards included in lesser decks too.

Dean

U.k

Before i knew anything about Tarot or Crowley, i went to have my very first Tarot reading with my Local Town Psychic, good old Joan.

I remember sitting down and focusing on these strange but fasinating colourful cards, and asking her what are these cards and what do they do. She then told me to pick out some cards, at this point i was very inquisitive to know what every card meant, until this Dark and strange looking card was picked by me, the Hex card.

I remember the little grin she had on her face and seemed delighted with me by picking this card, and told me that i would in fact follow in this path and learn magic to gain insight's into people's lives.

So as she predicted here i'am with a deck of Thoth and using these cards for gaining insights, so i think there can be some use from this card thats only my opinion.

Lillie

It's great when it comes up, isn't it!
That is probably how I'd interpret it too.

Depending, of course, on the position, the question, the querent, and how it struck me at the time.

I find that all meanings are fluid.

But I fell in love with this card long ago.
I'd never take it out of the deck unless I really didn't like the person I was reading for.

As for Crowley 'system'...
Although I am interested in that, and know a fair bit about it, it really does not impact on my reading of the cards.
I say what comes into my head.
So, from this perspective it is insignificant wether crowley intended for this card to be in the deck or not.

I intend it, and as the deck is mine, and the reading is being done by me, that is what matters.

I have heard that some people, with some decks, leave in te blank white card that comes with some decks.
I have never done this, and I wonder how they read it when it comes up, but if it works for them, well and good.

Dean

U.k

Hi Lillie,
yeah it is great to see the Hex card come up in a reading, and the way i approach it is the same way that psychic joan learned me, i for one think it has importance.

Lillie

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've been using it so long the deck don't seem right without it!

Oddly, it seems to be one of the cards that does not come up very often.
It's almost a surprise when it appears.
Perhaps it's not odd, but statistically it should come up as often as any other, and it does not seem to.

I should keep a list.
Then I could say categorically.

But I don't, so I can't...

Dean

U.k

That is interesting what you said about the Hex card, it does not always come up very often for people, thats what Joan said about the Hex card. She told me only certain people who connect with it on a Magickal - level gets this card, which spooked me at the time i understand what she means by this now?

One Armed Scissor

Now I' m pretty new at this, but I always left the Hex card in when doing readings, but didn't really give it much thought because it never came up. One time it did, and my friend jumped out of his seat when he saw it, he said it just looked like it didn't have anything to do with the rest of the deck. I didn't know anything about it so I told him it was a wild card. Like in Poker. Worked for him, and it made sense in the reading. So that's what I stuck with.

prudence

Lillie said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've been using it so long the deck don't seem right without it!

Definitely not the only one! I use this in a similar manner, I had answered in one of the old threads similia shared in his post. Love this card, and it really stands out. I started doing so when I first read about it in this very forum! Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and insights about this card!! :D