holding back in thoth readings?

Dean

U.k

thinbuddha said:
I only do readings for myself, but why would you want to hide things Doesn't make sense to me?

Well to protect people from the clutches of Mr Crowley's influences of course
some people still get freaked - out by the pictures on these cards, it's really for their own safety. haha

inanna_tarot

Thanks for all your thoughts :)
I only mentioned it because that was the first time I had felt the need to slightly pull back. The Thoth can be brutal, but I felt in that reading it was being un-necessarily brutal, especially to this lady who was trying to deal with a bad lot in general (the reading was very helpful she said!)
I would never feel to cover up cards like the Death or Tower because in the Thoth anyways they aren't the most graphic and somewhat disturbing images. Debauched in another card that I sometimes find hard to relate to someone else - I mean theres sugar coating things and then theres coating the truth in fish eyes or something horrible, sour and slimey lol.
I wouldnt want to trim a deck because the titles are important to me as part of the Thoth. Most people's eyes look at the images and dont look towards the writing anyways lol.

Blessings,
Sezo
x

Aeon418

Personally I don't like to suger coat my readings with the Thoth. Life ain't all "sweet and light", sometimes it's harsh and brutal. Just like the Thoth deck really.

Sometimes the best medicine tastes the worst and a slap in the face can really be an act of kindness.
I would never feel to cover up cards like the Death or Tower because in the Thoth anyways they aren't the most graphic and somewhat disturbing images.
I'm not too sure about that. Once you figure out what the Tower meant to Crowley you'll never look at that card the same way again. He he...:D

But FRATER PERDURABO is nothing but AN EYE; what eye none knoweth. ~ The Book of Lies.

thinbuddha

spiral said:
Always nice when someone's internal dialogue spills over into the forum :p

See- when I wrote that, I wondered if anyone was going to call me on it. Good job Spiral! Still though..... it's an aesthetic thing more than it is about hiding the titles from myself.... I already know the titles, so clipping it off won't hide it from myself.

rainwolf said:
All praise the sharp scissors and corner cutters.

On no! If I were to do it, I would take it to a professional print shop with a real paper cutting machine so I could have it perfectly polished.

What was this thread about again? Sorry for the off topic!

Dean

U.k

thinbuddha said:
See- when I wrote that, I wondered if anyone was going to call me on it.... it's an aesthetic thing more than it is about hiding the titles from myself

Would you rather have a Thoth deck with no Titles, i still dont think that will make much difference on how some people see this deck? and i really like the Titles anyway.

porksoda

although the Thoth can be brutal, I find that it can also be gentle as well as giving the most pleasant and heart warming news. As for removing the bottom of the card, doesnt that defeat the purpouse of having those cards with the titles? maybe its me but it seems a little silly

rainwolf

Aeon418 said:
I'm not too sure about that. Once you figure out what the Tower meant to Crowley you'll never look at that card the same way again. He he...:D
What book can I find that information in? The Book of Thoth? I'm interested...

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
But FRATER PERDURABO is nothing but AN EYE; what eye none knoweth. ~ The Book of Lies.

hehehe Well I reckon quite a few people have accused him of being not much more than an eye, but I would have thought it was an earlier eye than the one on XVI... Not very much earlier though ;)

Its funny but I have never understood people thinking of any of the Thoth cards as particularly threatening compared to other decks. Especially the majors. The art-work is more expressive than many, so perhaps that is it. Or perhaps because the "people" are clearly less/more than "human" compared to what we are used to with other decks.

I have a thoth deck in another language, and even though my card says "Okrutnost" whenever I see it I always think "hello Cruelty" right away. I got the deck so a sitter couldn't read the titles. I am just now thinking what is says about the sitter, and more importantly what is says about me that I would think the title is more expressive than the image itself... Does a word cut more deeply than a picture. Isn't a picture worth a thousand words?

spiral

Aeon418 said:
Once you figure out what the Tower meant to Crowley you'll never look at that card the same way again. He he...
It's interesting that you say that. The tower has always been one of my favourite cards - sudden changes keep things interesting. The thing is, my interpretation of the tower is far more benign, I think, than everyone else's. I didn't get a sense of foreboding from Crowley's interpretation tho - maybe I missed something.

Microcosmically the tower is, to me, the process that's constantly going on in one's head - that of rallying energy behind an idea; concept; or model of the universe until the flaws in the model are exposed and it breaks down. This is only a negative process if you are particularly attached to the fortification that the idea afforded you. It's Netzach rushing in to be constrained in form in Hod, until the fortress is subjected to some new type of erosion that brings about it's downfall. You could almost liken it to the evolutionary process.
thinbuddha said:
See- when I wrote that, I wondered if anyone was going to call me on it. Good job Spiral!
I apologise - I'm a professional pedant, you know. :D

Aeon418

similia said:
hehehe Well I reckon quite a few people have accused him of being not much more than an eye, but I would have thought it was an earlier eye than the one on XVI... Not very much earlier though ;)
Close, but no cigar. This one has been struck by er....lightning. hehehe :D

The Thoth Tarot are just like Crowley's books. They can be interpreted on many different levels. Sometimes the surface meaning hides a deeper meaning that can be completely opposite or have nothing to do with the original meaning at all.

The Thoth cards are just tarot on the surface. But they contain practically all of Crowley's magical and mystical knowledge. Many of the cards are blatant symbols of Crowley's system of sexual magick. ;)

The dominating feature of this card is the Eye of Horus. This is also the Eye of Shiva, on the opening of which, according to the legend of this cult, the Universe is destroyed.

Besides this, there is a special technical magical meaning, which is explained openly only to initiates of the Eleventh degree of the O.T.O.; a grade so secret that it is not listed in the official documents. It is not even to be understood by study of the Eye in Atu XV.

The Book of Thoth
THE FOOL'S KNOT

O Fool! begetter of both I and Naught, resolve this
Naught-y Knot!
O! Ay! this I and O-IO!-IAO! For I owe "I"
aye to Nibbana's Oe.
I Pay-Pe, the dissolution of the House of God-
for Pe comes after O-after Ayin that triumphs
over Aleph in Ain, that is O.
OP-us, the Work! the OP-ening of THE EYE!
Thou Naughty Boy, thou openest THE EYE OF
HORUS to the Blind Eye that weeps! The Up-
right One in thine Uprightness rejoiceth-Death
to all Fishes!

The Book of Lies