Nine of Cups

JLM107

Hey Folks,

In an elemental reading I just did for myself, the Nine of Cups came up in the Air position (I'm very attuned to Air as both my Sun and Moon signs are Air; Libra/Aquarius respectively), and the Nine once came up in a recent 3 card as my crowning card. I know I probably shouldn't ask so many questions on such a joyous card recurring (take my joys where I can get I suppose), but do any of you more seasoned readers have any insight on this card in general, what it's recurrence might tell me? Thanks!

Joe

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic, Joe!

Please take a moment to read the UTC Posting Rules. You must provide interpretations for all cards you list, and you may only list up to half of the cards from a reading in UTC. Complete readings of any number of cards (one through the whole deck) are discussed in Your Readings. We also like to keep threads to a single subject, so if you want to discuss the 9 Cups as a repeating card, you can do that in this thread.

If you wish to discuss the complete reading you posted, you'll need to do that over in Your Readings, even if you were only listing the other cards for context around the repeating card.

We can only discuss the suit of Cups if you tell us what you think that suit means for you first.

Please edit your post so that it's only about the repeating card.

Please PM me or Thirteen if you have any questions about what's appropriate content for Using Tarot Cards after you've read the Posting Rules I linked to above.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

JLM107

Welcome to Aeclectic, Joe!

Please take a moment to read the UTC Posting Rules. You must provide interpretations for all cards you list, and you may only list up to half of the cards from a reading in UTC. Complete readings of any number of cards (one through the whole deck) are discussed in Your Readings. We also like to keep threads to a single subject, so if you want to discuss the 9 Cups as a repeating card, you can do that in this thread.

If you wish to discuss the complete reading you posted, you'll need to do that over in Your Readings, even if you were only listing the other cards for context around the repeating card.

We can only discuss the suit of Cups if you tell us what you think that suit means for you first.

Please edit your post so that it's only about the repeating card.

Please PM me or Thirteen if you have any questions about what's appropriate content for Using Tarot Cards after you've read the Posting Rules I linked to above.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

Thank you for this clarification, I was totally unaware I was in violation even though I read the truncated rules above the text box as I was writing the post. The other cards I listed were more peripheral, so I'll remove those portions entirely. Can I edit the title to just say "Nine of Cups" or must you do that?

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Thank you for this clarification, I was totally unaware I was in violation even though I read the truncated rules above the text box as I was writing the post. The other cards I listed were more peripheral, so I'll remove those portions entirely. Can I edit the title to just say "Nine of Cups" or must you do that?
Thanks for editing the thread, but you still haven't told us what you think the repeating card means, as "a joyous card" isn't really an interpretation.

JLM107

Thanks for editing the thread, but you still haven't told us what you think the repeating card means, as "a joyous card" isn't really an interpretation.

My apologies. I actually just did another elemental reading, and in the central position of spirit, the nine of cups came up yet again; it seems to kind of come up in these overall advice situations. I'm getting a feeling/interpretation of just reassurance that I can still look at everything with joy, have fun, to not let the mundane steal my joy away. Because it's a nine and not a ten, however, I think that it's a reminder that there's still work to do, but to stay happy about it. Excited to hear what you all might think.

rwcarter

9s are often seen as an initial level of completion where the 10 is seen as an ending that leads to a new beginning. 9C as a repeating card could be a message to just enjoy the moment, enjoy your accomplishments to date and don't worry about anything else for right now.

In the position of Air, which is the element of thoughts, communication and conflict, it might be saying, "Don't worry, be happy" to quote Bobby McFerrin. I don't know how you're interpreting the spirit position, but there it could just be saying that your spirit is happy and joyful.

Rodney

JLM107

9s are often seen as an initial level of completion where the 10 is seen as an ending that leads to a new beginning. 9C as a repeating card could be a message to just enjoy the moment, enjoy your accomplishments to date and don't worry about anything else for right now.

In the position of Air, which is the element of thoughts, communication and conflict, it might be saying, "Don't worry, be happy" to quote Bobby McFerrin. I don't know how you're interpreting the spirit position, but there it could just be saying that your spirit is happy and joyful.

Rodney

Thanks Rodney! When I use terms like sprit, crowning, etc, they all more generally refer to overall energy for the spread. Thanks also for clarifying 9 vs 10 for me. I'm planning to post a separate overall suit thread as well because I'm getting many numbers in cups in addition to the nine.

rwcarter

Oops. :|

3s can be seen as an initial level of completion. 9s can be seen as completion. 10s can be seen as completion that leads to a new beginning.

Rodney

JLM107

Oops. :|

3s can be seen as an initial level of completion. 9s can be seen as completion. 10s can be seen as completion that leads to a new beginning.

Rodney

Thanks again! I seriously need these basic building blocks still in my understanding of the system.