Aenigma

Yygdrasilian

I have a question for the more mathematically inclined historians of Tarot:
What are the odds that, applying the enumeration of the Tarot de Marseilles pattern to the Hebrew alphabet, the following constants could be obtained by chance?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136473

philebus

Yygdrasilian said:
I have a question for the more mathematically inclined historians of Tarot:
What are the odds that, applying the enumeration of the Tarot de Marseilles pattern to the Hebrew alphabet, the following constants could be obtained by chance?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=136473

Wrong question.

What are the odds that whoever invented tarot predicted all the numerous units of measurement that would come to be used by you in all that?

Yygdrasilian

The “apple” of One’s Eye

philebus said:
What are the odds that whoever invented tarot predicted all the numerous units of measurement that would come to be used by you in all that?
We ought consider the possibility of a common numerological System upon which our units of measure, the sequence of Hebrew letters & the Tarot de Marseilles pattern were based. If it were constructed from the mathematics of acoustic space - the values of which remain constant - this would allow mutual correlation regardless of their distance from one another in history & geography. It also allows for a Pythagorean solution if presented as a Philosophic Riddle to ‘enlightenment’ polymaths with an education in arithmetic, geometry, astronomy & music (harmonics).

Bernice

I'm not a mathmatician, but I suspect it's possible to discover a math sequence in almost any 'contained collection' of material, whether culturally or naturally occuring on this planet. This includes "Pythagorean solutions if presented as a Philosophic Riddle to ‘enlightenment’ polymaths with an education in arithmetic, geometry, astronomy & music (harmonics)." This approach is not unlike a cook/chef who might derive a series of recipes from studying a kitchen and herb garden.

I think the only enigma about the marseille pattern is that we cannot be absolutely certain about its origins. It is only early documents and studies of iconography, plus an understanding of the culture of place & time of its beginnings that can provide any basis for conclusions. And even these include speculations.

Bee :)

Yygdrasilian

ὑποτιθέναι (hypotithenai)

Bernice said:
I'm not a mathmatician, but I suspect it's possible to discover a math sequence in almost any 'contained collection' of material, whether culturally or naturally occuring on this planet. This includes "Pythagorean solutions if presented as a Philosophic Riddle to ‘enlightenment’ polymaths with an education in arithmetic, geometry, astronomy & music (harmonics)." This approach is not unlike a cook/chef who might derive a series of recipes from studying a kitchen and herb garden.

I think the only enigma about the marseille pattern is that we cannot be absolutely certain about its origins. It is only early documents and studies of iconography, plus an understanding of the culture of place & time of its beginnings that can provide any basis for conclusions. And even these include speculations.
Supposition, not speculation, nor suspicion.
And the question is a genuine One.

By your own admission, you’re lacking adequate proficiency in mathematics to assess the value of this information. Which isn’t to say you couldn’t learn - this mnemonic can be a powerful TooL for learning the quadrivium. But, if cooking is your preferred idiom, perhaps you might benefit from an alchemical perspective before making up your mind:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2165172&postcount=1