The Tarot Playbook - HIGHLY recommended

N1ghts0ng

everyone's posts sound wonderful. will have to put this book on my wishlist :) I'm excited to get it OFF the wishlist (hopefully sooner rather than later) and get it into my hands!

RunningWild

And I hope you do, N1ghts0ng. I just picked mine up from the Post Office this morning and already I'm enjoying it. No, I haven't decided which deck to play with yet, but since, on my days off, I carry about 7 decks with me everywhere (you don't have to wonder, I'll just say it: I'm Tarot Obsessed :laugh: ) I'll just pick one out to play with.

Lynda, I hope you see this. I'm very impressed by the layout of the book. Well-designed. And so far, the text flows for me. Thank you!

Chiriku

I just bought this, and the first thing I must say before even cracking the book is that I am pleasantly surprised by the presentation of the book, by its tactile virtues. It is a paperback but the sort that has smooth,somewhat glossy, coffee-table book paper. Not only is it a pleasure to handle, but it sets off the photos to great effect. And that's the other thing: there is at least one full color photo on each page. Granated, they are mostly generic stock photos, but they add to the pleasure of picking up and flipping through the book.

When something is a pleasure to handle, one tends to subconsciously want to use it more.

I bought this book to help me get more out of decks that, at this point in my tarot life, don't have enough intellectual "meat" in the images or systems for me to get much out of them in a formal tarot study sense. I am talking primarily of decks that are closely patterned on the RWS but which do not contain the rich esoteric symbology and depth of that deck. Think Hudes, Morgan Greer, New Palladini, etc. Perhaps imaginative games will give them a new lease on life.

Will update soon with my impressions.

janie144

I received my copy today and I have to say this book is just so.... silly! I absolutely love it. I have a shelf full of books to help learn the card meanings, or to learn different spreads, how to read reversals, or get to know the courts, and they are just gathering dust.

I have only skimmed quickly through some of the exercises in this book and already I can't wait till it is bed time for the kids, so Mum can play :p

This book is just what I needed :)

beekie

I just ordered my copy and it shipped out yesterday.... EEEEE!

Juliana

Anyone have an opinion on what skill level would benefit from this book? I've been in tarot for well over 5 years, but primarily as a collector. As far as knowing the meanings of all the cards, I'm much closer to a newbie. Would this book still be good for me?

Winterchild

Juliana the book is amazing fun for everyone. It actually makes you want to look at and use the cards... that's if you have a problem with that, but it does make you want to play... there is no other book like it, and it is beautifully presented too! I have heard beginners and experienced alike all praise it.... That is a resounding neon lit *YES*... you will not regret it I am sure.

gregory

Anyone have an opinion on what skill level would benefit from this book? I've been in tarot for well over 5 years, but primarily as a collector. As far as knowing the meanings of all the cards, I'm much closer to a newbie. Would this book still be good for me?
Absolutely. It's ideal for beginners as it assumes NO knowledge, it just dives you in - and you REALLY get to know your cards.

Juliana

Thank you both! It sounds like exactly what I need. :)

fractalgranny

i must have gone through 40 books in my library, immediately discarding most, looking with lukewarm interest at others - until i found this one! yay! now to go and buy it.