2015 SAMHAIN LENORMAND HAS ARRIVED!

seven stars

Yes, like that. :)

Although, there are 2 ways of laying out GTs. One is the way your pic shows, with 4 rows of 8 cards, plus a row of 4 cards at the bottom. The other is 4 rows of 9 cards.

Some people use one way, some use the other, some (like me) use both in different circumstances.

One other layout note: I think it's more useful to have the name of the houses written above (or below) the rectangle where the cards is laid. That way, you can still read the names of the houses when the cards are laid out.

If the name of the house is written inside the rectangle, as in your pic, it's covered by the card. To me, that defeats the whole purpose.

So I should design 2 different ones for GT. and with the names underneath or above the rectangles, not inside. Could you post a pic of the other way with 4 rows & 9 cards with the names?

Aster Breo

So I should design 2 different ones for GT.

Well......... since you asked... ;-)

My *ideal* GT mat would have both versions on it, maybe in different colors.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure that's actually possible. Well, I'm sure it's *possible*, but I'm not sure if the result would be visually pleasing. Or even practical or usable.

But I think it's worth fooling around with it a little to see if it's do-able.

I mean, from your perspective, you'd prefer to offer both mats and encourage people who use both spreads to buy both mats. But from my perspective, I doubt that I can afford 2 mats. So, if forced to choose, I'd probably just not buy either.

(Sorry -- just trying to be honest, so you'll have the most useful info. This is NOT any kind of reflection on your products. I'm only explaining my spending philosophy and likely actions.)

So, I guess, if it was me, yes, I'd make one of each. Then I'd play with the possibility of a combo design.

Or maybe some kind if package deal for buying 2 mats?

and with the names underneath or above the rectangles, not inside.

Exactly.

Could you post a pic of the other way with 4 rows & 9 cards with the names?

Here's a link to a page with diagrams of both:

https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9NMV/lessons/cnZHgf

By the way, I've been thinking of trying to combine ogham reading with Lenormand by using a GT spread cloth as a casting cloth for the ogham staves. (Might work with runes, too.)

A mat might be even better for that. :)

seven stars

Here's a link to a page with diagrams of both:

https://coursecraft.net/courses/z9NMV/lessons/cnZHgf

By the way, I've been thinking of trying to combine ogham reading with Lenormand by using a GT spread cloth as a casting cloth for the ogham staves. (Might work with runes, too.)

A mat might be even better for that. :)

THANK YOU. With that 2nd Grand Tableau, the 9 x 4 version - with poker size cards you wouldn't need the extra large mat, the 17x27" mats that I currently sell would fit that spread just perfectly, unless you just really like having a lot of room around it. I would love to make one mat that incorporated both spreads but I'm not seeing how that's even possible. I think, if it was ME, I would want the larger 25.5x28" mat with no houses written on it, no words or rectangles, just a huge cool design to lay the cards on with maybe an intricate border or something. Possibly a spot in 2 corners that had both house layouts in a miniature form for reference?

seven stars

Or OH - I could include with the mat a really nice CARD with both spreads illustrated on the accompanying card maybe with instructions on the back or something??

Aster Breo

It's a personal preference thing.

I can certainly see times when a nice open space would be perfect. For me, I'd use that for 9-squares.

But, for me, there are so many "levels" of info in a GT, that I sometimes get confused. I need the house labels right there where the cards are. Having a diagram would confuse me more, because I'd have to keep figuring out which house each card is in.

Also, to be able to use it as a casting mat for ogham (or runes), it would need the houses laid out so you can see what house, if any, the ogham stave lands on.

Perhaps, like all the beautiful options you have for backs, you could offer the GT mats in various configurations and backgrounds?

As for size, I prefer to use minis for GTs. It's been a while since I measured, but I think a GT spread done with minis would need a space about 18" x 22".

seven stars

That is very helpful Astro Breo.

OK.....pleeease do me a favor, because if I make a bunch of designs for these I can't post them in "here" because that would be advertising. Would you please do me a favor and watch the Adverts forum and I'll post a few today & maybe you guys could post in there what changes you'd rather see or whatever. It's not hard for me to make changes but I would soooo much rather make changes BEFORE I put them up on Etsy & my website. There doesn't seem to be an appropriate thread for "making mats" so, Adverts should be safe, right?

I'll title it something recognizable.

Aster Breo

I'm happy to help! It's so much fun to see an artistic product develop, and even more fun to be part of the process. :-D

I'll check in occasionally during the day and try to offer feedback.

greatdane

Aster and others....

Seven Stars contacted me and she had an unexpected chance to read at a festival so she asked me to pass along she WILL be posting about the mats as promised in Adverts when she gets home. She didn't want peeps to think she forgot or was ignoring this!

Aster Breo

Thanks, GD!

greatdane

Having a great time with my new Samhain Lenormand

Happy I have the original darker one, but am happily awaiting the revised brighter one as well. This has been my "shuffler" of late. Love the cardstock.

Any one using theirs much yet? Do many have theirs yet?