1968 Albano Waite with Gold Foil Lion?

ladybird

I purchased a 1968 Albano Waite tarot from an Amazon Seller this week. It was supposed to be a mini but what came in today's mail was the standard size Accurate COLOR Tone. The seller said it included a gold foil lion in her description. I thought she was referring to the gold sun backs but when I opened the tuck box and took the cards out there was a perfectly nestled gold foiled lion over the LWB (see picture). I've never read anything about this and searched the internet over to see if this was something the earlier decks may have come with.

I found out more about this printing of the deck but found nothing about the lion. I am guessing from reading online that this is probably the earliest version since the box shows an address and also since the cards are matte. As per Holly's Frankie Albano page here: http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/Albano.html Also the tuck box does NOT say "comes with instructions" nor "does not come with instructions" but it did come with the off white LWB (see pictures with LWB and back of tuckbox).

A bit more info about the deck... The images on the cards compared with my 1987 USGames printing are far crisper in quality. I've read about this in other Albano threads here. The card stock between the two are about the same in thickness and have a similar matte finish. The 1968 deck I received is not at all thin like some suggested about the Accurate Color Tone edition and not at all glossy or sticky like some folks described their 1968's to feel. This deck doesn't look to have been used very much. The card edges still have the nubbies I read about that show they were pulled apart but only on the sides; no nubbies on the top nor bottom.

Okay, back to the gold lion. I understand that it's possible that the gold foil lion was put there by someone but I suppose it's just as possible that an early edition came with one? Does anyone have any information on this?

ETA: Sorry, rotated pictures for better viewing.

Attachments

• AlbanoGoldLion.jpg
    AlbanoGoldLion.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 263
  • 1968AlbanoTuckboxBack.jpg
    1968AlbanoTuckboxBack.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 259

Sulis

Wow that is a lovely copy of the 1968 Albano Waite... I love this deck and have a copy myself but mine is well used and came that way.

I've never heard of a foil lion being included with it either but I'm no expert.. It's lovely though.. Well done for finding such a gem :).

Le Fanu

Welll done! Love these tarot finds!

I came across a pristine copy of the 1968 Albano Waite deck for an absolute song on the flea market. It was so new, I saw the box and thought it was a brand new copy of the standard RWS and amost didn't pick it up. It was only when I turned it round and read the stuff about "Tarot Productions" on the back that I realised it was one of the original versions. It looked like it had hardly been touched and the box was impeccable. The top edges of the cards had tiny marks where they had been cut in the factoy and hadn't had chance to wear down.

I have exactly the same LWB as yours. I have never heard of a gold lion before. No idea if that was a part of the original packaging. But it's a lovely deck and you have found a good copy.

auntie

Thanks for posting this, I just love seeing that gold lion, what a treat. Even if it didn't come with the deck, someone saved that in there for a reason. Maybe it was part of the wrapping? I've always loved the Albano colors and just wish someone would do a repro with a reversible back.

PattyMc

Don't know anything about the gold lion but it's a beautiful deck! I love the 1968 version but haven't acquired one yet. I think you have a prize, keep that gold Lion, one day we might find that it is something special! Glad you found this lovely!

Patty

The crowned one

I am almost certain the lion is not original. I would ask myself what is the symbolic significance of including the lion from the publisher or artists perspective, if you can not find one and no one else has ever gotten one in their deck then you are either going to tour Willy wonka's chocolate factory, or some one just put it in the deck :)

PattyMc

Maybe it was some kind of promotional contest at the time, if you found the gold lion, you won a prize of some sort.

Patty

nisaba

Maybe it was some kind of promotional contest at the time, if you found the gold lion, you won a prize of some sort.

<rubbing head>

This rings a faint chord ...

Le Fanu

Or maybe the lion was a seal for the shrinkwrap? It would be like keeping those little gold labels that come with AG Muller decks.

ladybird

Or maybe the lion was a seal for the shrinkwrap? It would be like keeping those little gold labels that come with AG Muller decks.

This may be so! The gold foil back does look like it has/had an adhesive but it doesn't look like it was used. I took a picture of the front and back for better examination. I used my camera phone but when I get a chance I'll get my camera with better lenses out if these aren't adequate.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 167
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 165