The Vanessa Tarot, yay or nay?

pickled pixie

I'm thinking of getting this quirky little deck for myself and a copy for my daughter for Christmas. For those of you who have it how do you find it reads? Is it good for younger readers? My daughter is showing an interest in Tarot and I wanted to get her a deck that is a little more modern so she can relate to it more! Thoughts both positive and negative please :D

karen0205

I think it would be good for her. It's small, it comes in a cute little tin and the illustrations
are great. Empowering Girls. I like it. I think you would get good snarky readings from it.
It doesn't sugarcoat anything though. I have used it and it's a cute deck.

ana luisa

A very funky deck, feminine but that does not hold punches :) How old is your daughter ? I found that the Dream Enchantress is also very feminine but it may be suitable to an older girl and has a different, more "spiritual" vibe .
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dream-enchantress/

pickled pixie

Thanks for your views on the deck! I really like it but not sure if I will be able to read with it but it's pretty inexpensive so think It's worth the risk! ana luisa my daughter is nine years old, she had been using the Hanson Roberts but likes the doll headed girls in the Vanessa although I'm slightly concerned about the Devil card (I may take it out all together) but haven't noticed any other dodgy cards but then I haven't seen the whole deck! I like the deck you have suggested and may point her in the direction of it and see what she thinks of it :D

pickled pixie

Thanks for the links Ana luisa :) We have had a look at lots of decks before and I think the reason she liked The Vanessa is that is is very modern and quite literal ie The fool is literally about to make a journey! She understands that way of thinking. I think things like The Crystal Vision which by the way I think is totally gorgeous, is a little too samey and abstract for her little mind. I am slightly concerned that The Vanessa is maybe a little grown up for her though, do you know of any other decks that are quite literal and modern but more child friendly than the Vanessa? :)

ravynangel

deleted :)

karen0205

I like the Sun and Moon Tarot.
I haven't actually had the deck so I can't comment on every card
but it looks pretty and younger styled.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sun-moon/

Since she likes the Vanessa, I think I would be temped to go with that.
It might help her get into it more if she really likes the deck.
You can always take the devil card out if you are uncomfortable with it
and put it back later after she's a little older.

Gulliver

How about the Victorian Fairy Tarot? Recently, since I saw images, I thought that it would be a good tarot for kids.