Legend: The Arthurian Tarot

FaerieStorm

My interest in the deck is growing every day, but I am hesitant to buy. I--through experience--have become wary about buying decks that give each and every arcanum a reference (in this case, an Arthurian reference); it's always seemed to stunt my "stretching" abilities when reading from them. However, I can't help but like it.

Your thoughts: pro's, con's, the artwork, the Arthurian references (accurate?), companion book, etc.

Thanks

Moonchild1721

I have this deck, and the artwork is gorgeous. I haven't used it very much yet, because I wanted to learn more about the legend itself before trying to read the cards. So in that sense it has been a little limiting. I feel like my understanding of the cards would be better if I knew more about the legend.
Samantha

PlatinumDove

Ditto to what Samantha said. I have the deck, just haven't used it much, if at all.

Kimahri83

I've had this deck for over a year, it being my first ever deck,and I started working with it the very day I received it. I know BASIC information about the Arthurian legends, but not the entire complex story, however, I have found that it doesn't hinder me from reading with these cards. I don't believe that you need a background in the legends to work with them. Actually, the cards have shown me the legend, if that makes sense. Let me clarify: the cards tell a story, and I see that portrayed in each. Then I would go back into the companion book and read about that card. Turns out my intuition would tell me the same thing. It's like the cards came to life and connected with me. I honestly recommend just diving into the deck and learning the legends as you go. It's worked great for me! Good luck, and I'd be happy to help if there's anything I could do!

~Kevyn

augursWell

FaerieStorm said:
I--through experience--have become wary about buying decks that give each and every arcanum a reference (in this case, an Arthurian reference); it's always seemed to stunt my "stretching" abilities when reading from them.
I have this deck also but do not read much with it. However, that is due more to the exorbitant number of decks that I own and not due to this deck in particular. When I have read with it I get good readings.

FaerieStorm, I am interested in what you said above. Have you determined why it is that story-like decks are a problem for you? Is it that you get caught up in the represented story too much?

The reason I like this deck is that it brings you into a story world like no other deck out there. I tend to use this deck for spreads and queries that benefit from a story such as "What is the future of this relationship".

Arcana

I have this deck also, but I've never used it in a spread. I've even thought about selling it... but in the end I couldn't go through with it. Like moonchild1721 said, the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. And I really am a fan of the Arthurian legends. But it just doesn't seem to work for me connected to the tarot. On the other hand, maybe I haven't given it a fair try due to the other decks I have which I do use. Anyway, now I'm content just having this deck in my collection. Every now and then I take some time to look at the cards, and maybe read the corresponding tale. And they do (sometimes) give me something to think about, and that's also a way of working with the cards, isn't it?

Owlface

legend

Pros and cons ? The artwork is gorgeous, very atmospheric and beautifully done in watercolour. But the cards are too small, in my opinion, to show the DETAILS in the artwork to full effect. This is a pity. But I do like this deck very much, partly because of the artwork and partly because I love the whole Arthurian thing. The book is also excellent, written by Anne-Marie Ferguson who painted the images-she is clearly very much steeped in the Arthurian mythos.

I can only say I find readings with this deck to be no problem, but I do use it more for other things : meditation, for example.

Gyda

This was the second Deck I bought. It a beautiful, very vibrant in nature, I didn't read with it much the legend never really appealed to me, it was more the art work. I would say the reference are accurate, the companion books is very good. I'll be giving it to my niece when she turns 13. Having a reference of ever arcanum only helps to deepen the meaning of the cards and give a better reading. The only thing I really didn't like was the cards are very busy in the art work, it could have been simpler.

If you like the Arthurian Legend this deck will be great for you.

Gyda

Celeste 1

I to agree with most that has been said about this deck.. The artwork is very beautiful, i love all forms of watercolour anyway.
I have had this deck for a couple of years and although not one i use that often, i am drawn to it and have studied it a great deal. The book is very good too, very detailed and a must if using this deck if you want to understand in more detail the arthurian legend and i think the deck is fairly easy to use. Living in England as i do i have reserched in detail the legend and visited Tintagel castle before even studying Tarot, and personally that does help when using the deck for readings or meditation. I quite like themed decks, i find i can relate to the stories that they convey and that definately helps with my readings.

Celeste.

Moonchild1721

I actually pulled this deck out last night after readiing this thread, and did a reading with it. It was a pretty good reading, but I often find that I have good readings with decks when I use them after not using them for awhile. To clarify a little what I wrote above, I don't have the comapnion book, just the little booklet that comes with the deck. Maybe if I actually bought the companion book, the legend would become a little clearer to me!
Samantha