Legend: The Arthurian Tarot

augursWell

FaerieStorm said:
However, I wish the cards were larger because the images are so detailed; I also think--purely my opinion--that the images would be more beautiful had the artist used oils rather than watercolor.

Thoughts?
Yes, this came up in another thread, that the images are too small in card form to be really appreciated. I agree also that the watercolors seem washed out as well on the cards and oils would have made stronger images. One solution might have been importing them into Photoshop and working to enhance them that way. I personally like large cards like the original Thoth size so these cards might have been better at a larger size.

I also wish printing budgets for Tarot decks allowed for companion books that are also in color. I saw a full color "Faery Encyclopedia", or something like that, that included full page color plates from the Faery Ring Tarot and some others by the same artist. The images were quite beautiful at the larger size. If all companion volumes could be that way then one could appreciate the art much more.

Cerulean

From what I've heard (but only know of the book 1995) edition

I've had a few printings of the Legend deck and it is one of the few I wished that I just picked up in 1995 when I first saw it. But I was so new to tarot, didn't know if it would be something I used--I was attracted to the open and airy Matthews Arthurian instead.

But later, I bought the Legends book used, the first 1995 printing and it had poems in it, over 300 illustrations, etc...the later printings of the book had less text, as some of the poetry is said to have been edited out...

I had the deck in 1997 and also in 2001, but those later editions of the deck really need bright light. Someone once said their 1995 copy of their deck didn't have that problem.

I've traded or given my 1995 copies of the book and the later edition decks bought separately (you used to be able to buy it separately from the kit, I believe? Maybe I am remembering it wrong, because used copies from booksellers might have only had decks for some reason.)

Long story short, I may have just located a used 1995 deck-book set...and while the book is advertised as in 'well-loved, rubbed condition, cards and box somewhat better'--well, don't quite know until the bookseller responds--it's over the weekend, so maybe I'm getting a battered bunch...

To see beautiful copies of bright and delicate color in Anne Marie Ferguson's work, her Morte D'Arthur is on her webpage...in the wonderful collection of great links given above under her name...

Regards,

Cerulean who might be getting a 'decade-old deck'!

P.S. There used to also be a foldout sheet to the older version--just had a celtic cross layout...astroamerica.com reviewer mentions it's probably not in the newer set.

http://www.astroamerica.com/t-legend.html

WalesWoman

I'll echo a few sentiments... I wish the deck was bigger or that I could have full sized color prints to look at the wonderful artwork.

I fell in love with this deck the first time I saw it, and after seeing it and the readings done with it by a freind of mine for about a year, finally got it a couple years ago. I use it more than any deck I've ever owned, this and Druidcraft are my two favorite decks and both give me amazing readings.

Don't know why, maybe it's my love for that age or my ancestral roots growing out, but I feel good using it and everytime I do use it, I get more insight into the meanings of the cards.

Freddie

I must say that I am really lovin' this deck and the 'A Keeper of Words' companion book. I have ordered the John Matthews Arthurian book illustrated by Anna-Marie Ferguson as I really enjoy looking at her work.

Freddie

Freddie

The "Le Morte D`Arthur" is nothing short of stunning. A.-M. Ferguson is one hell of an artist and this huge book is packed with watercolours as well as drawings. All of this beautiful Arthurian art has been created for this book, so it is not just her Arthurian Tarot in another format. John Matthews is the editor, does it get any better? If you enjoy Celtic/Athurian, I highly recommend this book. The art looks it could be part of her deck, so it is an enrichment of it, that is if you like the deck.

This is my 'me' time over Christmas-Yule break sorted.

Freddie