exerpts taken from the diary of a broken soul

sacredashes

lampkin said:
Nice work Ash, I really like your style. I can tell you have a good understanding of tarot too. What medium do you use? Earlier I was referring to HR Geiger, the artist who designed the concept for the Alien movies. You must have heard of him. I think you'd like his art.

lampkin! hello...

I use ink on paper, occasionally charcoal because I love the rich contrast that it gives. The Ace of Swords was done with charcoal and I find the finished work much prettier without fixative. However, my carelessness will ruin everything if I don't use fixatives on charcoal.

Ohhhh.. that Geiger... hell yeah. I love his work. Great master of modern day fantasy art. I don't think I'm anywhere near his planet, let alone his league but thanks for the compliment. :D

Confession though, I didn't know his name but I have admired his work for a long time. **blush, please excuse my ignorance**

memries said:
Do you lick your wounds and get up and keep going or do you bow down and become invisible. I have been both a fighter and invisible. I, also, am a seeker. So, yes your art does appeal to those things inside me now past, I hope, for nothing can return from the dead.
Keep going as hard as it may be.

I think those who've been there can relate to my images, memries so I'm glad you can because a path once taken is another tile we keep in our collection of memories. It's how much we learn from them that counts, so I've learnt not to beat myself silly over things I cannot change..

I had a signature at the bottom of my reply when I was reading for ATA, which I was hoping desperately would serve as a hint to my querents who come across helpless, lost or too wounded to see beyond the trees. I don't tell them what to do per se, against policies and all but I was hoping something inside might click when they saw it.

Viktor Frankl, "Man has the potential to behave like a swine or a saint. Which is actualized depends on decisions, not on conditions."

This man was amazing and I think we all have the potential to become great, if we're not already there :D

Ash

rogue

I knew you had to have seen Geiger's art. By the way, he did an all-majors tarot called the Baphomet deck. His art was also the basis for an old pc game called DarkSeed which was really funny because the main character looked like Jeff Foxworthy and talked like Adam West. Anyway, I just finished painting Super-Dragon about a couple hours ago. If you pm me with your email address, I'll send you a picture. I knew that wasn't paint you are using because your detailing is so fine. I wonder how long does it generally take for you to do a picture like that?

sacredashes

lampkin.. you've got a PM :)

I saw some threads about the Baphomet deck and wondered whether I'd want one. Didn't know it was Geiger's work but I've seen posts on how other members are uncomfortable with it... Makes the deck all the more yummy, doesn't it?

Had a trade for Ruyo's Black Tarot.. I don't normally read with it or the Vargo Vampire one but the pictures are awesome so it's for keeps. You've just added another "needful thing" on my list of must have's. Awaiting the arrival of Super-Dragon...

I can take up to 3 days to finish the pictures if I draw every leaf, pebble and scale one by one which I like to do.. therapeutic reasons or just a day if there isn't much detail to the picture. With pastel oil, I use the tips of my finger nail (don't know how to use it any other way) so that can take months.

Ash

rogue

I want a Baphomet deck just for the art. I'm positive a guy like Geiger would channel the spirit well too, just as long as he didn't let his mother see the cards before he released them. I can't seem to capture darkness in my style, so I really admire an artist who can.

sacredashes

I met Sup-Dragon & he is Fierce!!

lampkin,

Rushed home right after work for the anticipated unveiling of Super-Dragon. :)

lampkin said:
I can't seem to capture darkness in my style, so I really admire an artist who can.

I'm a little surprised you think that because from your cards, although the images are brightly colored and beautifully expressed, the messages you've hidden in them show otherwise.

Btw, I love your version of werewolves in pin-stripped suits. Instead of enjoying cigars, they've turned their own kind into pets... and they're standing at the only spot where the light can't reach. I cracked up at that one... very nicely done :D

Lillie

Sacred Ashes.

I have just looked through all your scans, and I really like your cards.
They are wonderfully atmospheric.

I think they are great.

Lampkin.
Can the rest of us see Super Dragon?

sacredashes

Thanks, Lillie. Glad you liked them. :)
It would be great if lampkin decides to share Super-Dragon, I was very priviledged to have seen it.

Ash

Lillie

I like him!

Scales would be good too, though.

sacredashes

no, lampkin.. I don't mind at all. In fact, your non-tarot pictures are pretty good and I believe you know which one I like the best... cows on roller-blades racing to be slaughtered wholesale :D

Of course, my interpretation of that piece is worlds apart from yours but I see it as such nevertheless.

Still haven't check out the real Sup-Dragon but will around to it, when I work up the courage. Take care.