Moon Signs and Emotions + Other meanings of the Moon

Darth MI

The Moon is universally stated as representing the emotional side of you in modern astrology.

Not counting aspects and houses, this means someone with say a moon in Aquarius would be emotionally detached and someone with a moon in Aries would be quick tempered. At least according to modern astrology. In addition the moon is considered to represent in modern astrology what type of partner you find attractive along with the Venus

But I read stuff that the moon in traditional astrology represents more day to day matters such as travel and so forth.

What does traditional astrology says? Modern astrology overemphasizes it as emotions and attraction. In addition I seen astrologers even state the moon sign represents your true subconcious self-who you truly are at the core or at least who you desire to be (COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS traditional astrology's doctrines).

LovelyMissAries

All these rules people come up with… for me personally I see our Moon sign as our personality which you basically touched on already. I agree most with the idea our Sun sign represents what we value and can describe the men, masculine, or authoritative figures in our lives, and that our Moon sign is our actual personality, and can describe the more passive, feminine people in your life.

Minderwiz

The link made between Moon and emotions is false. Anger is an emotion....how does that relate to the Moon? Sexual attraction creates emotions....are these totally lunar, or might Venus not be the correct plsnet?

The Moon signifies our 'animal',or 'instinctive', 'non rational' mind. Instinctive reactions ate not of themselves 'emotional'

NamasteIndia

The link made between Moon and emotions is false. Anger is an emotion....how does that relate to the Moon? Sexual attraction creates emotions....are these totally lunar, or might Venus not be the correct plsnet?

The Moon signifies our 'animal',or 'instinctive', 'non rational' mind. Instinctive reactions ate not of themselves 'emotional'

i have experienced personally and observed that people with strong mars those with scorpio moons are very short tempered

whereas i am a pisces moon very intutive, quite and melodramatic

taurus moons are very romantic and sexually active ppl.

strangebrew

I have a Taurus moon and am very romantic and sexual but also i crave emotional security and connections of a spiritual nature with others ~~ nothing flippant about this moon in my eyes :)

Minderwiz

Vettius Valens on the Moon

Valens wrote in the second century AD.

The Moon...signifies our internal property of being..The Moon influences our physical appearance and the facade or mask we wear in public. She also contributes to the goddess energy within us. The Moon rules that part within us that seeks to share a life with someone' She rules the piece that seeks out companionship; the structural institution of which we call marriage.

She is connected with the nurturing of tiny things and creatures, which can emerge in the form of a care-taker, wet nurse or even foster parent. She rules the part within us that seeks to keep house, the queen, our 'internal princess'.

The Moon can indicate a life abroad, of wandering (though not so much in Cancer).
'

He adds more but concerned with body parts.

I like his images of the Moon as our inner goddess or princess and his use of the Moon as a symbol of our very existence. But no where does he talk about emotions, rather the instinctual desire to care for weaker beings, to join with others and to marry and have children.

The Moon is the premier symbol of the female, the woman....are all women just emotional and nothing more? Of course not. The feminine within us as described by Valens is something we should treasure and develop.

PrincessPaulina

Instinctive reactions ate not of themselves 'emotional'

Wow, I WISH this were true for me!
My instinctive reactions are nothing, if not emotional!
But perhaps that is partially my Scorpio Moon..? :bugeyed:

dadsnook2000

Moon and emotions

I don't see the Moon as representing emotions so much as responsiveness. Even that has to be nuanced further. Moon is the rhythm of life, our fear of uncertainty when something unexpected or 'different' occurs, our personal linkage to early family life and whatever that represents in our memories and developed habits. From that we develop a sense of empathy to others, need for and giving of support and nurturing. We learn to compare and know differences in life between people and situations. We develop some degree of adaptability and becoming used to or resistant to change.

So, I see the Moon as being connected with emotions but only in terms of respsonding to them, not to love, to anger, to envy, to desire or to specifics of other planetary energies.
Dave

Karrma

I don't see the Moon as representing emotions so much as responsiveness. Even that has to be nuanced further. Moon is the rhythm of life, our fear of uncertainty when something unexpected or 'different' occurs, our personal linkage to early family life and whatever that represents in our memories and developed habits. From that we develop a sense of empathy to others, need for and giving of support and nurturing. We learn to compare and know differences in life between people and situations. We develop some degree of adaptability and becoming used to or resistant to change.

This is beautiful, and seems to resonate with me. Now I (scorpio moon) need to dig deeper, to find out why.

So, I see the Moon as being connected with emotions but only in terms of respsonding to them, not to love, to anger, to envy, to desire or to specifics of other planetary energies.
Dave

I am not sure what you mean here. So I am asking, in order to clarify, "Do you mean that when I feel 'fear', it is how I would respond or act on that 'fear'? Such as fight, hide, deny, collect more information, negotiate, collaborate, react only my past experience?

So like the animal SPIDER, first what do I feel: curiosity, fear, thankfulness, etc, whatever emotion that spiders bring up. That would not be the moon or lunar influence.

But how I would react: If curious, would I watch or would I dissect.
or if fearful, would I scream, or kill or hyperventilate, or talk myself out of fear of a little itty bitty creature.
If thankful, would I send it a prayer thanking them for decreasing the mosquitos and gnats in my garden, and if inside my house, gently taking them outside where they will find plenty.

Minderwiz

I agree with Dave on much of this...Emotions are conscious experiences, we think bout thm and are aware of them, They may not produce observable changes in behaviour though chemical and other biological changes are associated. The etymology is linked to the French verb which translates as 'to stir up'

instincts are an inclination to a complex behaviour. That is there's an observable response when instinct kicks in. We may not be aware of 'why we're doing it', though arguably humans can modify their responses by becoming cosciously aware of their past behaviour.

Instinctual behaviour may lead to emotional responses fear (Saturn), anger (Mars), love (Venus) may be associated with insticts or may arise out of instinctual behaviour patterns but they are not instincts.