General Oracles Study Group: Week #1

Rosie_0801

1. Tell us the name of your deck and any other important info (publisher maybe, number of cards in it etc)

Lo Scarabeo's "Flowers of Love" deck of 36 cards.
There are six categories:
1. Flowers of Waiting
2. Flowers of Indifference
3. Flowers of Passion
4. Flowers of Jealousy
5. Flowers of Declared Love
6. Flowers of Faithful Love

2. Tell us what drew you to this deck? Did you see it in a shop? Read about it? Get it as a gift? Also tell us how long you have had it and whether you have worked with it a lot or maybe it has just lingered on the shelf

Well, it was pretty. I'm new to cards so spent a few days looking through pics of decks online because I'm a researching kind of girl. I decided to buy it for myself as an Ostara present a few weeks back because a holiday about love is kind of depressing when it falls on a weekend your ex is up visiting the kids. The cards were supposed to cheer me up and give me happy dreams about Mr Wonderful who I've been told will show up in my life at the end of next year. It didn't work, but tossing the cards in the recycling bin in a huff seems rather juvenile. :p

3. Tell us the "theme" or "characters" of the deck....you don't have to go into great detail but some decks have animals, others objects, some people etc...
Flowers, obviously. Each corresponds to an aspect of the game of love. The guide book is pretty brief so I'm hoping this study group will help the deck and I make friends. :)

4. If you have a place where we can "look at" the deck please let us know that also. That may be helpful later on.

There seems not to be, other than the pic on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-Love-...id=1349393530&sr=8-1&keywords=flowers+of+love

5. Then concentrate on this group and your deck as you shuffle cards...draw a card. This will represent this group and the direction or path or involvement we all will take as we work together....tell us about the card and your feelings and first thoughts when you look at it and relate it to this group.

Card 34- Sunflower- Trusting Adoration. (Aww. I do have a sentimental side.)

There are sunflowers in the foreground, and a lady in a peplos behind them, with her back to us, stepping up to the edge of a cliff, arms out, face turned up to the sun.

It feels like a happiness card without much in the way of expectation from the outside; nothing more than the expectation of being accepted. The lady is enjoying aspects of the natural world; they are not there as a personal favour to her, so it is her own happiness created within, but they are a pleasant aid in accessing it. Nature is accepting her as part of itself, not as something apart.

Now to read the rest of the thread. :) (And to keep waiting for my new oracle deck to show up in the mail. *cough, cough*)

Winterchild

My Chosen Oracle

I have chosen my Hidden Path and Well Worn Path Oracles:

This review shows the Well Worn Path....

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/well-worn-path/

The Hidden Path cards have the same backs as they were originally designed to be one deck but were released as two separate decks. You can use just one or use the two together. There are 40 cards in each deck.

The Hidden Path is the one I got first a couple of years ago, then I decided I wanted the previous deck and I found it on here earlier this year in the trade threads.

I was drawn to these cards because of the style of artwork and the content I guess. I dont follow a set path but these cards are great for altar display and meditation on the Sabbats etc and when I want to concentrate on something in particular. They would be good for spellwork I think, too. I haven't actually read using a spread with them as such, the only oracle I have read with is the Faerie's.

The backs of the cards, I love, they feature a wooden door, with a tree carved into it.... to me this is like a door for you to open to explore these new realms.... and one of the cards in the Well Worn Path deck is The Key.... which I use as a kind of ritual card for accessing the messages of the cards.

The first deck, The Well Worn Path depicts the basic foundations of Wiccan/Pagan/Earth bases beliefs, and shows various artifacts, such as Altar, Cauldron etc.. as well as many natural elements which both decks have a fair amount of. This deck also has cards for each of the Sabbats/Esbats.

The second deck, The Hidden Path shows the more mystical, spiritual and well, *hidden* aspects of these belief systems. For example, the Path Between Worlds... as before there are also many references to the seasons and nature.

Each deck has a book and the cards are organised in a seasonal order where appropriate. The books give meanings for the cards as well as information on celebrating the various holidays/seasons/sabbats. There are also a variety of spreads given in each book, including The Crossroads, Wheel of the Year, The Cauldron and The Pentagram.

I wanted to introduce the deck and I will draw my card later once I have sorted out children, goats and cats, and maybe done a bit more mowing of my very long grass!

DragonFae

Elendil...the pic on your card reminds me of a wizard....is that a sword or candle he is holding that is glowing??

Winterchild I am looking forward to hearing more about the two combined decks and the cards in them.

DragonFae

Rosie 0801....although your deck seems about love....perhaps you should forget that and read them intuitively in a more general way...might make the deck more useful in your current situation....I have a deck with flowers also called... Flower Power mood cards....it might be interesting to compare the two and see how the "flower meanings" are a like or different.

Rosie_0801

Rosie 0801....although your deck seems about love....perhaps you should forget that and read them intuitively in a more general way...might make the deck more useful in your current situation....

They aren't really designed to be used in other ways and I'm ok with them having a pet topic, so to speak. But the point of our study group is to see where things go, isn't it? So I guess I'll see what happens. :)

[/quote]I have a deck with flowers also called... Flower Power mood cards....it might be interesting to compare the two and see how the "flower meanings" are a like or different.[/QUOTE]

Well the card I drew today was Sunflower, and it is to represent devotion/adoration/enduring trust and if it were reversed, I guess it could be a nutcase ex stalking you. :eek: lol. What does your Sunflower card have to say for itself? :)

Elendil

Elendil...the pic on your card reminds me of a wizard....is that a sword or candle he is holding that is glowing??

There is definitely something 'wizardy' going on in the card. He holds a wand which glows and is entwined with light/power.

krystalkitty

They aren't really designed to be used in other ways and I'm ok with them having a pet topic, so to speak. But the point of our study group is to see where things go, isn't it? So I guess I'll see what happens. :)
I have a deck with flowers also called... Flower Power mood cards....it might be interesting to compare the two and see how the "flower meanings" are a like or different.[/QUOTE]

Well the card I drew today was Sunflower, and it is to represent devotion/adoration/enduring trust and if it were reversed, I guess it could be a nutcase ex stalking you. :eek: lol. What does your Sunflower card have to say for itself? :)[/QUOTE]

I love that you picked the sunflower the sunflower is so happy and the colour brings a feel of satisfaction and really such a strong flower suggesting growth and new ideas with the way it grows so tall and the new ideas shown by all the little seeds pulling together to a great understanding.. In some decks it can suggest fertility also.. again shown by the vast number of seeds...

I love your deck also the poppy picture looks very striking... I definately shouldnt have joined this thread ;) I want to get all these decks, although i am so interested to see those with the faeries style what comes to you as they have been decks I struggle to connect with so would love to see them in action..

DragonFae

Rosie 0801

My Sunflower says Take The High Road...press on regardless...stand tall and strong...above the "crowd".

You feel optimistic...take a risk if need be...the result will be golden.

WOW...the sunflower was a good card for you to pull. :) :)

Rosie_0801

I guess our sunflower cards are almost the same. Mine seems slanted towards feeling the emotion and yours towards the acting on it. I shall have to try and read mine in a more active sense, though they have more of a lay around and gossip feel to me.

:)

Fermmoylle

The deck I'm using is the Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle, by Lucy Cavendish. I was at a "new age" store and the deck "called" for me. It was just a week before last blue moon.

It's a 40-card deck focused on the fairy folk. It has a wonderful art by Selina Fenech.

The card is...

13. Catch me ("Trust, Surrender, Leap of faith into the unkown")
http://www.allthingshealing.com/Portals/2/Stock-Photos/Art/catchme3.jpg

Where can we go without fear? Wherever we dare to. We are taking chances studying our craft and sharing, as we never know who will read this thread, but if we don't do it now, when will we do it? Trust each other, and be true to yourself.

That's the way we fly without having wings.