Fluorite manipulation ?

samantha

Is it possible to change the colour of fluorite (irradiation or similar)?

I saw this, tumbled, piece today which seemed just too uniform a colour (lighter turquoise) to be natural.

The shop assistant told me that the owner had told her that all the stones were *natural* but agreed with my assessment of said stone.

Briar Rose

To my awareness, Fluorite is not altered. I have seen Fluorite very uniform in yellow, or, green or blue with no other colors. Then there is rainbow Fluorite, which has bands of colors. Fluorite is translucent. I would describe the colors in Fluorite to be like in the warmer climate's ocean colors, clear-er in colors. Where as turquoise by description to me is opaque. Although there are turquoise oceans in cancun. hmmm...

samantha

Thanks for that. I think I should have called it aqua rather than turquoise then.

However, I went back to the shop today to have a second look and noticed a tiny bubble
inside !!!!! Its got to be man made :( I think the owner is pulling a fast one here.

EDIT: That said……have just watched a youtube clip of what appears to be a trapped -and moving- bubble inside a pice of Pakistan Amethyst and Afghanistan fluorite. I never knew it was possible. But very different from the bubble I saw which was most definitely *frozen* and suspended.

stonesatiety

Some seek enhydro crystals, those with trapped water. This happens to stones that form in or with superheated water. If you obtain any enhydro crystals, make sure to avoid leaving them in the sun! I had one smoky quartz blow a hole in its face when I accidentally left it in the sun. Also, fluorite and amethyst can fade.

When I was looking for blue fluorite, not finding much, some friends told me that fluorite is usually altered from blue to purple.

samantha

How do they alter it ? Heat ? Dye ?

stonesatiety

Thanks Briar R!

On this page:

http://minerals.gps.caltech.edu/color_causes/Radiate/index.html

the author shows examples of fluorite that he altered using gamma radiation. One is clear fluorite turned blue, perhaps like the one you are looking at, samantha? Years ago ago, my friends--who sell a lot of stones--told me that blue fluorite is much more common than the purple, which sells better. That's the reason for the color mischief.

Miners can irradiate stones as easily as anybody else, btw. I go with the stones that feel good to me. If it feels good and is priced reasonably--remember fluorite is a common mineral--why not?

samantha

Briar Rose - Yes to the steep price. She wanted 50 Euros for a piece which sat comfortable within my palm !

Stonesatiety - That blue fluorite on the right is a pretty close colour and similarly clear.
In fact if you added just a hint of green it would be on the money.

Thanks for the sites- As you say, not nearly enough awareness - Although I try to employ common sense when picking out the real from the altered some of the *forgeries* , if we can call them that, are very well done. If the country where I'm normally resident can fake a new UK passport (I saw one) they, for one, can fake anything ….