Lo Scarabeo Tarot - Bravo!

Lee

I received this deck by Mark McElroy and Anna Lazzarini a few days ago (I had ordered from Amazon, and they said it wouldn't be available for months, but suddenly there it was in the mail). I'm really excited about this deck for several reasons. I suppose I might be biased because a) I'm a Lo Scarabeo author too, and b) I've worked with Mark (I assisted in a small way on his book Beginner's Guide to Tarot). On the other hand, I think I've been pretty good about stating my honest opinions about decks, positive or negative, over the years, so take it as you will!

I love the Lo Scarabeo Tarot. Much as I enjoy theme decks (and having created two of my own), I also like to read with "back to basics" kinds of decks, which for me means decks which echo the first deck I worked with, the RWS. This group for me includes the Gilded Tarot, the Robin Wood, the Hanson-Roberts, the Morgan-Greer -- decks which don't reflect any particular theme or culture other than a pseudo-Medieval environment, and symbology based on late 19th century occultism. The Lo Scarabeo Tarot is firmly in that category and to my mind deserves to be considered in the same rank as those other decks I listed. In fact, I think it represents an improvement on those decks.

The stated theme of the deck is that it combines the three major tarot deck "traditions" -- the RWS, the Thoth, and the Marseille. Having now seen the entire deck I can confirm that there is indeed a major influence from all three traditions in the Lo Scarabeo Tarot (hereinafter I'll refer to it as the LST). However, Mark has fashioned the deck freely and creatively, and so people shouldn't expect that each card will contain 33.333% each of RWS, Thoth, and Marseille. In many cards one or two of the influences predominate; in some cards, only two of the influences are detectable. But due to Mark's and Anna's skill, the deck doesn't appear to be a jumbled mess of disparate imagery stuck together. Rather, the deck is an organic whole, and the visual elements from all three traditions combine in a harmonious way.

People who take any of the three source decks extremely seriously, though, will probably want to stay away from this deck. Although the LST borrows elements from the RWS, Thoth and Marseille, the LST is not the RWS, the Thoth, or the Marseille, and if you are the sort who believes that one or more of those three decks perfectly reflects the mathematical laws of the universe (not that there's anything wrong with that), you may feel that the LST is being disrespectful of an honored tradition.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy seeing familiar tarot tropes re-imagined in creative and vital ways, then this deck is for you.

I suppose there will be much discussion and argument about the specific choices Mark made in regard to the three traditions. To be honest, I'm much less interested in the combination-of-three-traditions aspect of the deck and much more interested in judging the deck on its own merits as a reading deck. There's a lot more to the deck than the RWS/Thoth/Marseille elements. Mark also adds plenty of his own insights and inspirations. I even detect a few glimpses of the Thomson-Leng Tarot.

And I must say something about Anna's gorgeous artwork. She works in the same style as many of Lo Scarabeo's artists, but she is extremely skilled, and my theory is that she's devoted more time and care to the creation of this deck than is involved in many LS decks. The images are line drawings colored with watercolor, and they're interesting and stimulating while at the same time being very serene and refreshing. I much prefer this art to that of the Llewellyn Tarot, whose images I find to be too indistinct. The LST images are lovely and also lively and communicative. One card I love which I don't in most decks is the Devil. It generally follows the RWS, but the expression on the Devil can be seen as gentle, suggesting that the energies symbolized aren't inherently dangerous, and only become so when repressed.

In the LWB mark provides two keywords for each card (one representing the "Light" and the other the "Shadow" aspects of the card). Some of these keywords may be a bit puzzling to those who are unfamiliar with Mark's approach to tarot. I have no idea if there will ever be a book for the LST, but in case there's not, if you want more insight into the keywords and also into the reasoning behind some of the images, I suggest you consult any of Mark's tarot books, especially the Beginner's Guide to Tarot. But if you prefer to just work with the deck without the LWB, you certainly can, as the pip cards follow the GD-based meaning pattern found in the RWS and Thoth.

The cards have the standard LS titles in six languages, but, as on the Universal Marseille, they're so small that it's easy to not notice them. My only gripe is that the titles in some cases differ from the titles used in the LWB. The LWB has Coins, Cups, Princess, Prince. The cards' English titles have Pentacles, Chalices, Knave, Knight. I had a similar problem on an LS project that I was involved with, so I know it's not Mark's fault. Other than this, Lo Scarabeo deserves a round of applause for a job well done on this deck.

This deck has immediately become my scenic-pip deck of choice, and my non-scenic deck of choice is Chris Butler's Le Millenaire Tarot de Marseilles. I feel more strongly connected to these two decks than I have with any other. I highly recommend them!

-- Lee

Alta

Thanks Lee. My copy is in the mail from tarotgarden, but the postal service is bringing it by ox cart I think. I found the scans very appealing and enjoyed your comments above.

Marion

Scion

Lee!

I'm so glad you posted this. I got this deck about 2 weeks ago from Tarot Garden (aka the one stop shop :D) and was really captivated by how readable it was and yet how respectful of the three traditions its creators had been while synthesizing them into a continuous whole. As you say, fundamentalists who adhere strictly to any one of these traditions may be irked, but the cohesion and imagination in this deck is palpable.

Lazzarini's artwork (which has never been my favorite) is here used to its greatest effect. Not only is it lvely to look at, there is the sense that she's taken her time with these with fantastic results. Harmonious is exactly the word that comes to mind: she has imbued the images with an aesthetically and symbolically pleasing coherence that packs a punch. LWB-wise, I have to confess that I don't ever look at them so I can'tcomment, but frankly I don't know how anyone ho uses an of the incorporated traditions won't be able to glean meaning from these cards quickly and smoothly.

I took it to our NYC meetup yesterday and the response was ecstatic pretty much across the board. And it's audince is potentially limitless, as Lazzarinni's "pretty" artwork is wedded to each tradition in an intelligent way that widens the potential user-base for all the right reasons.

They tread a fine line here between producing a "clone" and shaking up people's expectations, a wink at history and a poke at the future. Well done! LS gets slammed for not making an effort to push the envelope or grinding out "theme" decks. Scarabeo keeps trying to raise the bar and think outside the cubicle, but it is up to us to support strong, unexpected work. I think the self-titling of this deck is a masterstroke in itself, as a declaration of their importance to the Tarot world and a commitment to innovation that respects tradition. This is one deck that should stump their critics and please their fans, new and old.

:thumbsup:

Scion

coyoteblack

I saw this post and was thinking of Scion bringing the deck to our meet up in NYC. It is a really nice deck and to combine all the disciplines/traditions together in one deck is just awesome.

And it looks really nice I will definitely look into buying this deck as soon as I can.

franniee

I just ordered it last night..... can't wait! Scion showed it to me yesterday and I loved it! :thumbsup:

Hedera

Looks like an interesting deck, thanks for the recommendation!

I do like the artist's work in the Manga tarot.

I just wish they had given it a more distinctive name than 'LoScarabeo tarot'; as it is, it's really impossible to search for this deck specifially (and not one of their gazillion other decks).

6 Haunted Days

Yes, I had this deck on pre-order a TG, I've wanted it and been very interested in it for awhile! I got my email when the decks arrived at TG, but had to cancel....with my injuries/surgery I am not working and no $$$ :(. Needless to say I was very disappointed! But I will get it eventually, you can bet on that. It's been getting awesome reviews!

Miss 6

spoonbender

Guess I'm a minority here, but I have a big problem with this deck.

It has lovely artwork, it is undoubtedly very readable, and, yes, there are elements from all three deck traditions, but I'm quite irritated by the things this deck is made out to be. It's claimed to "blend cohesively the three traditions", to be the point in which "the three great magical traditions of the West meet", to "unify the distinctive symbolic vocabulary of [the three traditions]", and each card is said to "[draw] together elements from [the three traditions]". And I just find that incredibly misleading - the Thoth, RWS and Marseille are WAY to different to be truly combined in a balanced way, and yet that's what's being implied. I don't think anyone can deny that this deck is disproportionately based on the RWS, which is especially apparent in the suit cards.

But the claim that irritates me most and that I find really rather outrageous, is that the deck is said to provide "an excellent foundation for moving on to [any of the three traditions]". I'd agree that it is an excellent foundation for the RWS, but I just can't see it as an excellent foundation for the other two traditions. Especially not for the Marseille. It just doesn't make sense in the least.

Meh. If the deck hadn't been promoted like that, I'd have liked it so much better. :(

Spoon

firemaiden

Thanks for the interesting review Lee, I really appreciate being able to read your thoughts on this. Is there anywhere one can see more scans? (I've seen the tarot garden scans). I have a feeling I will probably be more in the Spoonbender camp -- not that I have any feeling about the three traditions, per se, but I just don't feel the need for any more decks where the imagery is already familiar to me. (I like to be surprised by really new twists on the cards). But you've piqued my curiosity.

TarotDreamer

I LOVE my LST!

Lee,
Thanks for starting this thread. I had been waiting for months for the publication of this deck when I first heard about it. I have enjoyed most of Mark's work, and I love the LS Manga Tarot, in large part to Anna's great artwork. When I heard these two had collaborated on a deck, I knew I had to have it.
I had to have it so bad that I ordered it from Alida as soon as they got it in stock!
The deck, for me, has lived up to its expectations, which was a fear I had (I had the same built-up excitement for the LS Tarot of the Spirit World, and was extremely disappointed with the result).
As you said, the deck is extremely readable. My first deck was the Crowley-Thoth (which was a challenge as a first deck), and then I moved on to the various RWS-type decks (which made reading so much more easier). It's nice to have a deck that has elements of both. I told Mark that this deck might become my sole reading deck. I will still collect decks, but I think I'll be reading with this one for a long time to come.