Lo Scarabeo Tarot - Bravo!

Little Hare

This looks like an interesting deck from the scans i have seen...

I love hearing all other's opinions... what i'd like to know though is what is seriously spiritual though? ;)

Vesper

It's interesting that the artist is female, as this style reminds me of the discussion on the Secret Tarot, and whether it was sexism to have the tarot symbols embodied by women that are depicted in an obvious pin-up-style sexy way.

I think I'm evolving away from the point where I used to consider it sexist. To me, it's just one artistic choice.

Not my favorite choice, though. If I'm going to have nudity in my tarot decks, I'd like it more realistic, more natural. Also, I like some depth to the images, some shadow, both literally and in the figurative sense. These pretty people don't draw me in or make me curious about who they are or what they're thinking.

Lee

You can see some more scans here and here (click on the thumbnails).

Tarotgarden.com also has scans, you'll see the Lo Scarabeo Tarot featured on their home page, click on that, then click on "More Samples."

SolSionnach

Bummer. I think that "i6tinypic" has had server overload - I can't get either the Sun card or the 6 cups to load. :(

rwcarter

My Lo Scarabeo Tarot arrived in today's mail. I notice the differences from RWS-based decks, but I'm going to have to pull out a TdM, a Thoth and a RWS and put them side by side with the LST to see where the different influences are. And I'm AR enough that I might even tabulate it if I have enough time.... ;)

Rodney

greycats

AJ said:
In the scans I've seen the figures seem to be about 14 years old, and that is where they lose me. I find it hard to take advice from a 14 year old queen seriously, . . . edited to add that my reaction may be culture based.

I agree about the age. And about the cultural differences, too. But it did occur to me that Italians might have certain cultural predispositions, as well. So some time ago, I decided to quit worrying about what those 16 y/o tarot goddesses who would fill up EEEE cups were going to look like when they were 35. That's an Italian issue. What I need to understand is "female of child-bearing potential," and they abundantly demonstrate that.

But LS'LS is so much fun, that by the time I got to the Queen of Swords, I couldn't manage more than a chuckle. I had decks spread everywhere and about every third card I found myself saying "I never thought it that way" or "I didn't notice this before." It seems I've been keeping my tarots more compartmentalized than I'd thought.

This deck has already taught me so much just by indicating possibilities. And, I haven't scratched its very lovely surface. I confess I buy a certain number of Lo Scarabeo decks every year, but I seldom buy two of the same deck. I will be getting another copy of this one.

Quester

I have been studying this deck for several weeks now and love it..I feel a welcome from it each time I pick it up. I think that the only disappointment that I have is that I would like a companion book to go with it.

Rosanne

As a deck, I have no problem with its artwork- but I disagree with the accompanying blurb of the combination of three traditions; and the stated concept that this deck will allow an excellent foundation in exploration of those three traditions. It smacks of covering the market. I do not like criticizing decks, as the publication of decks is something I look forward to...but this has sorely disappointed me, with what seems inflated claims. My views aside- I wish Lo Scarabeo and the Artist all the best. ~Rosanne

L8deblu

Companion book

I absolutely love my copy - and I agree with whoever said that they wished there was a companion book. Does anyone know if there is one in the making?

Alta

I spent quite a while with the deck last night. I was looking for the three traditions in each card, and I think that the designer and artist were very creative in the combining. Often if it in the pattern of how the images are arranged. Sometimes the RWS picture has the suit symbols in a Marseilles but the actual suit symbols look like those in the Thoth pattern for example. I think they did a good job.

What I really liked was how evocative the cards were. I just found that I really really liked the deck. I did two or three small readings and was pleased at how 'talky' the images were.

The 6 of cups image is the only one like that, though The Star, as per tradition, is also nude. Most of the images would fall into the tarot tradition pattern.