Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

The Pamela Colman Smith Centennial Deck review thread

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith

Citizen

Le Fanu 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minrice
I have yet to read the book on Pam's art, I have been saving it for a special occassion. Don't know what yet haha, maybe as a treat for a sick day, bored day, or down day!
Oh read it minrice, it is a fascinating and moving story. I read my copy in two days and found the trajectory of her life from promising illustrator to dejected and and frustrated illustrator deeply moving. You will view the deck through different eyes.

With no exaggeration, I will never look at the RWS deck the same again. I can see it more now within the artistic context of one person's remarkable imagination. And she was quite an outsider, which I think comes through. You can really feel PCS's presence and fundamental loneliness on cards like the 5 of Cups...
Top   #71
Citizen

Wisp Wings 
Just Ordered

Okay, I have read the entire thread and I really feel that I will love this set. I am with HearthCricket if for certain the people on the cards no longer have measles. I have always hated to use a truly rws deck due to this. I love the art, hate the coloring.

I just ordered myself two sets. So now is the waiting game. Ugh.

I really have enjoyed the thread. Thank you for a great review Starlightexp.
Top   #72
The last in line

Disa 

My set arrived today. I am so pleased with the cards. I love the way they feel and the coloring really does make them feel aged. I think I finally have a RWS that I can actually use! There's something very special about these.
Top   #73
Citizen

The 78th Fool 

Mine arrived last week and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. The deck itself is glorious and has become my RWS of choice. The back design is wonderful and as a facsimile reproduction, this far outshines the 'Original' Rider Waite. My only minor quibble would be the inexplicable omission of the black and white card illustrations from this new edition of the Pictorial Key to the Tarot. Why remove them? Even if they weren't included in the first edition, it would be very useful to have them there for reference.

Chris. xx
Top   #74
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 78th Fool
Mine arrived last week and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. The deck itself is glorious and has become my RWS of choice. The back design is wonderful and as a facsimile reproduction, this far outshines the 'Original' Rider Waite. My only minor quibble would be the inexplicable omission of the black and white card illustrations from this new edition of the Pictorial Key to the Tarot. Why remove them? Even if they weren't included in the first edition, it would be very useful to have them there for reference.

Chris. xx
Yes - that puzzled me too..... Very odd.
Top   #75
Citizen

starlightexp 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 78th Fool

Chris. xx

I could be wrong but I think that they would have more then double the size of the book making the set more expensive plus I think that they might have thought that since you have a copy of the card that you could use them with the book.
Top   #76
Citizen

truelighth 

My guess is that they published the Key without the pictures to mirror the original publishing in 1909. The original "Key" also didn't have any pictures of the cards in it. Only later editions did, and then it was called "Pictoral Key". But the ones that come with the Pam-A have no pictures and are just called "Key to the Tarot".
Top   #77
Citizen

wytchwood 

I have a couple of different editions of the 'Key' with no pictures, instead the author describes the scene on each card...also I have the 'pictorial key' and indeed it seems to be the same book but with the addition of black and white pictures. I did find it a bit odd to find that the book in the new kit has the title 'pictorial' but it's not pictorial....how strange...

add:

Why not just call it the 'key'?
Top   #78
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelighth
My guess is that they published the Key without the pictures to mirror the original publishing in 1909. The original "Key" also didn't have any pictures of the cards in it. Only later editions did, and then it was called "Pictoral Key". But the ones that come with the Pam-A have no pictures and are just called "Key to the Tarot".
Ah. The definitive answer ! Thanks !
Top   #79
Citizen

truelighth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
Ah. The definitive answer ! Thanks !
Well, I don't know if it is the definate answer. I don't work for US Games ya know . But it does seem to make sense. And yes, why not call it just the "Key to the Tarot" then... that is a good question.
Top   #80

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.