Greenwood ~ The Lovers

Bat Chicken

From Chesca's Handbook:

Minor arcana: threes Position on wheel: Beltane. Element: Fire/Air
Chakra: throat. Colour: orange/rose-gold. Polarity: white

The woman has a green woodpecker head-dress, hawthorn leaves and May blossom, all symbolic of the heart of the Greenwood. She is a lady of May, of sensuous sensitivity, young, loving and trusting. She glows with warmth and heart; beside her grows an arum lily, called ‘Lords and Ladies’. Her lover is also crowned with hawthorn, with the goat horns and legs of the young Pan, the wild male aspect of nature.

Between them is the maypole, or living birch tree, once erected every Beltane. This represents the Tree of Life, spanning the three worlds. These would be the Lowerworld, where the tree is stabilised by being placed in a shaft in the ground, the middle world- the actual land upon which people would dance, and the Upperworld or the top of the maypole, which usually had three foliate rings hanging upon it. It is love that enables one to transcend the boundaries of these worlds, uniting the physical, emotional and the spiritual. Beltane is still a common time to be handfasted. In some ways this is a card of young or new love, yet to be tested by time.

Attachments

• lovers.jpg
    lovers.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 147

Bat Chicken

I thought that since we are approaching Valentine's Day, the Lovers card old be a good one to explore!

The Greenwood Lovers shares the myth of a very old Greenwoman and Greenman - Isis and Osiris - the lover's myth of death and resurrection and reflecting the seasons - not unlike the Greek myth of Persephone.

Osiris is the Egyptian God associated with bringing farming to the people and ending their cannibalistic ways. He is painted and presented in Egyptian art as literally a 'green' man, his face and skin painted in green - a scared colour representing vegetation and renewal. He is also associated as a god of the Underworld.

Osiris is also associated with the ram, hence the pharaoh carries the crook and flail of the shepherd. The Ram god Banebdjed is an aspect of Osiris and the ram's horns or on the Greenwood card.

Isis, is still celebrated as Goddess of the heavens - the Upperworld. Chesca was a priestess of Isis at one time. Chesca's Isis has a bird with green wings in her crown. Isis is generally associated with a kite or hawk, but this one appears to be the woodpecker from the Page of Arrows. Perhaps the stubbornness and loyalty as a partner suggested by Mi-Shell for the Page is a reflection of Isis' dedication to Osiris. In traditional Egyptian art, her wings are green and she regenerates that which she wraps her wings around.

Isis is also associated with snakes (her earrings on the card). She was a protector of civilization and agricultural stores.

The myth of Isis and Osiris (from Wikipdia);
The original form of the myth states that Osiris was killed by a wooden sarcophagus secretly being made to his measurements by Set, who was jealous of Osiris's position as king, and so plotted to kill him and take his place. A party had been held where the coffin was offered to whoever could fit inside. A few people tried to fit in, but to no avail. Osiris was encouraged to try, but as soon as he lay back, the lid slammed on him and was locked. It was then sealed with lead and thrown into the Nile. Upon hearing that Osiris was gone, Isis set out to look for him. She later learned that the coffin had floated down the Nile river up to the coast of Byblos (now in modern day Lebanon) and got embedded in the trunk of a cedar tree. She also learned that the cedar tree had been taken and used as a pillar to support a palace for the king of Byblos. After explaining the situation to the queen of Byblos and getting her permission, she managed to extract the coffin without harming the palace and took Osiris' body out into the desert and buried him back in Egypt.
Again, Set found Osiris' coffin, took his body out, and dismembered him into 14 parts, scattering them across the land of Egypt. Each part represented one of the 14 full moons (each year has 12 or 13 full moons).
Once again Isis set out to look for the pieces and she was able to find and put together 13 of the 14 parts, with the help of Nephthys, Set's sister-wife, but was unable to find the 14th, his penis, which was eaten by Set. Instead, she fashioned a phallus out of gold and sang a song around Osiris until he came back to life.
Osiris was resurrected. So it was that Isis conceived Horus. Due to this experience, Osiris became Lord of the Dead, and the Afterlife.
The act of evil in drowning Osiris was said to have been the work of 72 unnamed conspirators, who were led by Set. This references the legend in which 1/72nd of the moon's light was said to have been won by Thoth for the birth of the five major gods: Set, Nepthys, Osiris, Isis, and Horus. Each 1/72nd of the moon's light given for the five days signifying an individual piece of darkness left in its place during the 360. This legend was itself based on the fact that 1/72 over 360 days, the length of the year in the older Egyptian calendar, produces five whole days, reflecting the duration of the newer 365 day Egyptian calendar.

Bat Chicken

A plant and two trees appear in the Lovers Card; the cuckoo pint, the birch (pole) and the hawthorne (leaves on the crowns of the Greenman and Greenwoman).

According to the Druid Plant Oracle, the cuckoo pint represents union, creativity and harmony. It grows in hedgerows (like the hawthorne) and flowers both male and female - it form is like the cup and arrow (chalice and blade). Like the birch Maypole and Hawthorne, this plant is associated with Beltane.

Birch is a very significant tree of Spring and regeneration. It appears repeatedly in this deck and considering Chesca's association with Isis, that does not surprise!

(from my post on Birch in the Ogham Study Group) Birch is a sign of 'new growth' forest. It is not shade tolerant and often populates areas that have been clear cut or burnt out. It grows well with other species and is found, however, it is often found in pure stands. They do not like to grow in isolation. If a stand has been harvested, a lone tree or isolated trees will die…..

A live birch was often used as maypoles at Beltaine and to ward off negative spirits, and the connection of the upperworld to the underworld - its bark being considered "Otherworldly". Birch twigs were the shelter for Diarmid and Grainne and was a symbol for love. Given by a Welsh man to the woman he loved, was a birch garland (Paterson)

Birch also has a number of medicinal uses - from the treatment of eczema, bladder infections, a mild anesthetic, rheumatism, tooth decay and the prevention of kidney stones - essentially a purifier! More on Birch and on the Ogham Study Group.

Hawthorne is a 'fairy' tree found in hedgerows and fields, blooming in May. It is a symbol fertility (used at weddings), cleansing and is a guardian often planted near sacred wells. It also has Christian associations (Glastonbury Thorn).

Hawthorne bark was used to make black dye, its leaves for tea, it's berries and flowers for enhancing food and chutneys (Tree Wisdom - JM Paterson)

Hawthorne also has a dark side. Huath means 'frightful'. It is often used as a warning tree by the Otherworld or as an obstacle. In magic, it should not be used. In the Mabinogion in the tale of Kilhwch and Olwen. Olwen's father Yspadden, meaning literally 'giant hawthorn', blocks their affection, setting Kilhwch impossible tasks.

An excellent link from the Ogham Study Group (Huath) on Hawthorne.

Bat Chicken

Chesca's notes on the non- gendered lovers:
This is a non-gendered Lovers card, which was turned down by the publisher, but is available if preferred. Two people, deer headed, to signify their tender hearts, are charged with the energy of love. Their golden antlers, bedecked with hawthorn, draw down the spiritual love, as their union is blessed, giving their hearts wings. Their individual stars shine, confirming that this is their destiny. Their bodies are charged with polaric energy, one hand raised to keep the current flowing, the other handfasted, blessing the land below, pouring out the life giving energy of love. The design is based around a central axis around which the couple cross-polarise. Between their hands a rose is illuminated. The background shows the Merry Maidens stone circle, and a maypole with traditional may day celebrants-a hobby horse, Maid Marion and a
Jack in the Green. The red and white dragons, the polaric energies are unified by the lovers encompassing all genders.

There appears to be symbols and standing stones at the center of this card, but, I am unable to see them clearly enough. I hope someone with a copy of the card or a very good scan can have a go! :)

Attachments

• lovers-22.jpg
    lovers-22.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 120

Cat*

I didn't yet read what has been posted before, but I wanted to drop off a piece of information that is relevant to this card before I forget it. It came up in the current discussion about the links between sexuality and shamanism (it starts with post #968 of The Teaching Tent thread).

I posted two links there:
Cat* said:
This, called "The Eightfold Path to Altered States of Consciousness", is a brief introduction to eight methods of achieving altered consciousness (for shamanic purposes, although many of them are used non-spiritually as well). Please read it as an introduction to this article, called "The Path of the Flesh", which deals with using sexual energy and sexuality for spiritual work.

Both texts focus on Northern Shamanism, so not every detail may be true/useful for other traditions as well, but Raven Kaldera is one of the few people I know who have extensively and knowledgeably written about such "taboo" subjects in shamanism/spirituality. I don't always find his writings easy to digest, but he always makes me think, and I appreciate his refusal to be silent about the difficult parts of the shamanic experience and related topics.

Milfoil then quoted a piece from the second article:
Raven Kaldera said:
It is the ritual sex of the Maypole, the Green Man and the May Queen creating the pole of energy that stretches from under the earth to the faraway sky. As the magical Middle Path of northern-tradition sex magic, it carries the energy of Midgard and Vanaheim, rather than the worlds at the top and bottom of the World Tree.
This made us both think of the Greenwood Lovers, so this is why I'm putting this here as well.

I'll be back when I actually study this card...

Surja76

There is mixture of cultures and myths again.....

Yes, it is very interesting beating of Egyptian images of Isis and Osiris. Even their poses are the same to Egyptian style of imagination. Brilliant!
But both of them are made in the form of druid symbolism look like personalities of Dionis forest.
they are looks the same to Egyptian gods. The same bird on the head of Druid Isis, snake, Green goat head of Osiris the same to Egyptian green face, symbolize fecundity and male libido ))))

The lovers is the card of choice. Usually something should be between them.
There is Birch between them. Birch is the symbol of purity. In ancient times girds and boy put on Birch wreaths on their head showing that they are ready to merriage, BUT it is also the woman's dual, ambivalent symbol. This is a hint of feminine fickleness, who can be yielded to temptations. This card lovers is the the card of choice between feeling or passion and duty.

If to see closely this card reminds me the Bible motive of Eden.
Birch is the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. This red heart reminds me the Apple, which Eve tempted Adam.
We can see the bird on the head of the woman. It is Wren, symbol of soul, it is Celtic dove, but at the same time it is the bird of witches so that the symbol of Evil.
And at least Isis' snake the symbol of wisdom but it is look like the snake from the Eden Garden.
Flower of white calla, as the symbol of purity repeats shapes of the forward part woman's low part of body. It regards us to her innocence and maturity, as women.

================================

The priests of ancient Egypt were taught that in the spring, when the sun god Osiris returns nature of life, and earth and animal fertility, it is in the constellation of the bull. The emblem of Osiris, apparently, was the bull, Apis, and the emblem of the earth, the emblem of Isis was a cow.

Plutarch mentions in the following terms: "During the spring equinox, celebrated the birth of the sun god Osiris. Priests towered above the figure of the solemn procession of deities, phallus, which was three times greater than its body, because this God is the source of fertility, and every source, thanks to its productive powers, enhances and reinforces all that comes from him ".

Egyptian women, according to the Herodotus, publicly expose their bodies before the newly elected sacred bull, and the deity to whom they thus expressed their awe and who protected them from infertility.
Beautiful girls were available to the Egyptian deity, they were given to him through the medium of his servants, the priests, they slept with them on the night of this celebration, and thereafter the girls were married off........

There was the story:

Once upon the time in Rome one noble and renowned for her virtue woman lived, named Paulina. She was very rich, beautiful. But she lived in very exemplary life. She was married for a certain Saturninus, who was just as decent as she, and not inferior to her good qualities. Pauline was a loyal cult of Isis, and honored that a goddess.
But one man, named Decius Mund fall in love to Paulina. He kindled the passion and lust for this woman and was ready to pay big money for only one night with her. But Pauline refused him, she was faithful to her husband.

But her maid, named Ida, when she has known about Decius passion to her missis, has decided to help Decius to join him to Paulina for money. Ida agreed and paid money to priests of Isis temple. Priests came to Paulina and told her that they came as a messengers from the god Anubis, who de-burning passion for Pauline and calls her to him. Paulina was pleasured, she haughty condescension of Anubis, and told her husband that the god Anubis invited her to share his meal and bed with her. Whe she came to Temple, priests extinguished all the candles and lamps, and Pauline did not suspect that the man she shared a bed with in the temple was not Anubis but Decius Mund.
Next morning when she knew it, she was shocked, she told it to her husband and ask for protection from Emperor Tiberius.
Then Tiberius punished Ida and Decius and ordered to destroy all Isis Temples in Rome.

Mi-Shell

Maybe I should get a word in here , what comes to my mind about this card:
I see “SHE of the Glowing Yoni” and “HE of the Green Rod” in their Beltane handfasting ceremony.
The Grand Rite of the Goddess of the Land and the God of Fertility is about to take place.
I love the fact, that SHE is shown with dark skin, reminding me of our origin in the plains of Africa. She feels like everything that is moist, glowing, verdant and bursting with the sensual promise of the Living Earth. SHE will be the same, forever, a Maiden to be mated at Beltane, A pregnant mother goddess at Litha, a Harvest Lady 'til Lughnasadh, a woman growing older and wiser during Mabon. We see her as an old and tiered Crone at Samhain, dancing with Death ‘til Winter Solstice, when she is giving birth to herself anew, becomes a suckling infant at Imbolk, feeding on the milk of the Ewes, awakeningto her duties as Ostara until yet again she will mate..... with the forever changing God, with the kings of the Land, with the farmer who tills the soil, with us when we eat the bread the fruit of her woumb.....
Well, once HE was the Green Man, the God of Fertillity, then he sloooowly metamorphosed into the light skinned Sky God of Northern Europe.
Now they are mating and yet again, as so often before - see BC’s posts- these 2 will create a new kind of People....

Surja76

Brilliant informative post. Thank you!!!!
it is the same to the post of Bat Chicken about mixture of roots in cultures of different natures. In different variations they have the only common seeds, which help us to describe the same problem wider, deeper from different sides, adding and mixing special cultural pallet. Very interesting.

I noticed one mention about skin colours of these Gods. I have found very interesting thing.

Mi-Shell said:
I love the fact, that SHE is shown with dark skin, reminding me of our origin in the plains of Africa.
Mi-Shell said:
Well, once HE was the Green Man, the God of Fertillity, then he sloooowly metamorphosed into the light skinned Sky God of Northern Europe.

It is reminds me Beltain Celtic Gods and heroes of the Lovers card of MAAT tarot. One was Black skin Moon goddess, goddess of Night and her white skin Slave, the God of the Day and the Sun, described in the novel of Gustav Meynrik.
Relationship and domination of ambivalent feminine nature and muscular nature.
Moon and the Sun, the night and the day, conscious and unconscious.

There is the link to MAAT discussion post about Lovers card.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=79340

Bat Chicken

Mi-Shell said:
Now they are mating and yet again, as so often before - see BC’s posts- these 2 will create a new kind of People....
Interesting.... I had to highlight this.

Mi-Shell

Here is some sort of a scan of the none-gendered Lovers Card.
Not very good, but better then nothing :

Attachments

• ExtraLoversGreenwood.jpg
    ExtraLoversGreenwood.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 150