The Occult Achievement of the 20th Century-The Thoth

Debra

What about the Etteillas? They pre-date the Rider deck.

Bernice

Professor X: Back in the 1940's there were not that many occultists who had the experience and depth of knowledge that he had. So not that many people could even attempt to make something like the Thoth.
Actually there were several experienced occultists back in the 40's proff, some of whom influenced Crowley :). But they didn't create tarot decks.

As others here have said, Crowley drew from previous sources, one of whom was Etteilla......

Bee :)

Kenshin Gordon

For me it's clear that it wasn't some kind of WOW *(sound effects) SPIRITS OF NATURE FORM THIS EMPTY DECK INTO THOTH (sound effects)* and the book of thoth was created without a single influence. The OP is presenting it as a God's gift.

Rosanne

The Occult Achievement of the 20th Century-The Thoth

This small world of Tarot.

I think the actual Occult Achievement of the 20th Century is a book. A book called The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy, published in 1928 by Manly P Hall when he was 27 years old.

Although some parts are outdated and controversial now, it has never been out of print, it has been bought and read by more people and influenced more people than the Book of Thoth or the Thoth deck has ever achieved. It is considered a classic and a standard in Occult and esoteric considerations. The Author gave more 8000 lectures attended by many hundreds of people and a conservative estimate is that over 1.5 million copies have been sold pre the 2003 Readers Edition or free downloads. It has more hits on the web than either Crowley or The Book of Thoth.

Now I have said that...back to the beautiful Thoth Tarot deck.

~Rosanne

Professor X

Rosanne said:
This small world of Tarot.

I think the actual Occult Achievement of the 20th Century is a book. A book called The Secret Teachings of All Ages: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy, published in 1928 by Manly P Hall when he was 27 years old.

Although some parts are outdated and controversial now, it has never been out of print, it has been bought and read by more people and influenced more people than the Book of Thoth or the Thoth deck has ever achieved. It is considered a classic and a standard in Occult and esoteric considerations. The Author gave more 8000 lectures attended by many hundreds of people and a conservative estimate is that over 1.5 million copies have been sold pre the 2003 Readers Edition or free downloads. It has more hits on the web than either Crowley or The Book of Thoth.

Now I have said that...back to the beautiful Thoth Tarot deck.

~Rosanne

I have that book. I did not mean to imply that the Thoth was the only achievement in the occult world that was significant. Of course their are others as well. However I would say that books are more accesible to people than the Tarot. Most literate people may decide to read a book on anything,but when it comes to the tarot it tends to freak a lot of people out.

If someone is on the level of understanding what the Tarot is all about and the occult influences behind it then the Thoth would be more likely to be appreciated by that type of person. Like I mentioned in my post the deck is not for everyone,not even for most people who use the Tarot because most tend to stay away from the Thoth.

Manly Hall's books is indeed a classic but the Thoth is a tool of DIVINIATION and thus is in a different class. Both are indeed masterpieces in their own realm of influence.

Rosanne

Professor X said:
I did not mean to imply that the Thoth was the only achievement in the occult world that was significant.

Oh yes you did.
This is your part opening post.
The Thoth tarot is one of a kind achievement that the world will never likely see again. It just does not get any more mystical or initiatory that the Thoth.
It is like having the great mystery schools of the world brought into the grasp of your fingertips. Thier is a saying in the christian religion that a christian preacher gives his most sincere sermon right before his death. Whether the preacher knew his death was coming was not important. It was the coming in of the event that somehow on a psychic level influenced him to give his most magnificient sermon ever. To me the Thoth deck has that same kind of aura. The greatest occultist of the past 100 years(maybe ever) giving a final virtuoso performance before leaving this life for a higher one.

If someone is on the level of understanding what the Tarot is all about and the occult influences behind it then the Thoth would be more likely to be appreciated by that type of person.
(my emphasis)
I have removed my sarcastic comment directed at Professor X as it was uncalled for and I apologize.
The bold emphasis was what I was objecting to in the quote.

Like I mentioned in my post the deck is not for everyone,not even for most people who use the Tarot because most tend to stay away from the Thoth.
Does it ever occur to you that one reason is this constantly reinforced view that somehow most people are way to uninformed to wield this mighty tool and that it takes too much work and that is handed down by the Gods to a chosen few? To Ra I pray "Give me Strength" (unnecessary crap from me removed here) The deck is great, but, the art may or may not appeal to you- that is the only reason to choose or not choose the deck along with whether it works for you as a tool. It is not and has never been the Emerald Tablet of the Occult of the 20th Century. It is Tarot.

~Rosanne

Professor X

Rosanne said:
Oh yes you did.
This is your part opening post.

(my emphasis) Wow! Even bigger statement! Nah I will just leave this alone.....No I won't! Poppycock!

Does it ever occur to you that one reason is this constantly reinforced view that somehow most people are way to uninformed to wield this mighty tool and that it takes too much work and that is handed down by the Gods to a chosen few? To Ra I pray "Give me Strength" (in an expletive way) The deck is great, but, the art may or may not appeal to you- that is the only reason to choose or not choose the deck along with whether it works for you as a tool. It is not and has never been the Emerald Tablet of the Occult of the 20th Century. It is Tarot.

~Rosanne

I said the Thoth is a one of a kind achievement I never said it was the ONLY occult achievement. LOL. The Thoth deck is indeed a one of kind achievement,no one has really done anything like it since it came out,Crowley certainly hasnt done another deck. In my opinion it is the best Golden Dawn themed deck out,but thats just me.

Also nothing I have said is responsible for people not buying the Thoth. LOL.
Most people make that decision based on their OWN opinions. The fact is that if someone doesnt understand the Kabbalah and other occult subjects they may indeed have a difficult time reading the Thoth,thats a fact. Unless you are willing to study these things you would never truly get the real meaning behind the deck.People usually formulate a opinion on the Thoth based on lies they heard about Crowley and the Golden Dawn,NOT BECAUSE OF SOMEONE SAYING HOW MIGHTY THE DECK IS.

What so funny about what you are saying is that YOU are the only person who commented on the thread saying this kind of stuff. The rest of the people may have disagreed on some points I have said but they got what I was implying. A lot of people see the Thoth as a masterpiece,they may not think of it the way I do but they do hold it in high regard.

All you have to do is look on Youtube and see that most people are clearly intimidated by the Thoth for no real reason at all,its not like they cant study and learn. No ones high opinion of the Thoth and what they think of it has ever stopped anyone from buying or learning about it.

The fact that you even make these remarks shows you are out of step with what people usually talk about on this forum. You indeed FORGET that this is the Thoth forum so someone posting on how much they love the Thoth should not come as a suprise to anyone. LOL. Its not like I posted this stuff on the general forums on here. You should go on amazon.com and read what some of the people posted there,some of them posted thoughts similar to mine. I suppose you will think they are in the wrong as well. What I posted was just my opinion I never said it was the ultimate truth.

Kenshin Gordon

Thoth is the deck 50% of the Tarot readers use, with Liber T being the other 25%. It is simply so broad anyone can fit it to his views, just like the Occult teachings themselves. Other than that, it is a great piece of work.

Always Wondering

Professor X said:
What I posted was just my opinion I never said it was the ultimate truth.

I think most of us understood this was your opinion. You wrote a clear and thoughtful post.
I am happy you are liking the deck so much. I thought you might. ;)

AW

Le Fanu

Kenshin Gordon said:
Thoth is the deck 50% of the Tarot readers use, with Liber T being the other 25%.
Where did that statistic come from? :D At a wild guess I would say 60% use the RWS, 25% use the Thoth and 15% "other". That's me guessing totally, utterly wildly. I certainly wouldn't have thought that 25% of tarot users are using the Liber T! That strikes me as a bit wide of the mark.