Medieval Scapini - Aces

Dakota

Well, begin at the beginning, I guess. :D

I picked up the Ace of Cups to begin with. Lots of suckling going on: the mother with her babies in the fountain, the mother cat with her kits at its base. I get a strong "Pisces" feel from this cups card: twins at the breast, two fish (dolphins?) in the cup/fountain, twin heads spouting water, etc.

What IS that at the base of the cup/fountain, under and around the mother cat? Blocks of wood with Chinese characters? Even with my magnifying glass, I have trouble figuring out what that signifies.

Other water images: everything is dripping, mother seems to be sitting in a shell, another shell at the bottom of the cup, the fish, of course

Emotion images: the heart on the stem of the cup, all the babies suckling

What else do you see?

(BTW, if you think it would be easier to discuss all the Aces together, jump in with one of the others.) :D

TemperanceAngel

I love the Ace of Cups, such an esquisite card, so much detail, so abundant and so full of color...

Dakota thanks for being so brave and jumping in with the new thread :)

All the Aces are amazing and so much detail. I have started pulling the deck out at wotk and find that I need to pick the cards up and look really closely at times, so much detail so many messages...

Will be back with more over the weekend!

(((((Dakota)))))

Dakota

Thanks, TA! Good to see you here! It is clear that one of us is going to have to snag the new Ronald Decker commentary on this deck sometime soon. I will try to add it to my next Amazon order but need to wait a paycheck or so to do that. Since I discovered eBay and all the great tarot stuff there, my poor checkbook is reeling........... LOL

:D

TemperanceAngel

OK so I have all the Aces in front of me. I have started using my deck in professional readings and I love it, it's such a great contrast to my RWS and really gives me lots of insight and answers. For some reason the colors that he uses in the Minors seem to remind me of the chakras, maybe because I am tuned into them at the moment, as in reading a lot about them. But we can talk about that in another thread...

Ace of Cups: The fruit and shells are wonderful. I would really love to see these cards as their original paintings. The cat and kittens at the bottom and around them looks to me like tents that have been pitched. Are they dolphins or fish? They look a bit Dr. Seuss characters don't you think?

Ace of Wands: LOL this card is great. What are those lepricorns up to at the bottom with their hammer and sickle? This card reminds of a really old deck. An Irish theme indeed. We see the three leaf clovers, and what is the naked child doing in the nest half way up. The fact that it's on fire I can't help but relate this card to the element of Fire. As with the Ace of Cups, so much water and shells has to be the element of Water.

Ace of Coins: Any idea what those plants/flowers in the bottom right and left hand corners? Looks like the child holding the coin is the one from the Ace of Wands. This time blindfolded and the scarf is red, green in the wands ace. The coin itself has so much detail and looks as though it has been earthed or pulled out of the ground. Abundance, fruit trees, cow, man and women, lion etc.

Ace of Swords: When I look from a distance I see the circle at the top looking like olives, lol, but seriously what are those black things? Beautiful wings, makes me think that the card is combined with the element of Air. And Coins with Earth. Snake or serpent. Man and women, Yin and Yang. Balance.

I don't think I will be getting the book I like to study from what I feel rather than what I am told....that's only me and if anyone gets the book I am sure it will have some great insights.

Dakota

TemperanceAngel said:
For some reason the colors that he uses in the Minors seem to remind me of the chakras, maybe because I am tuned into them at the moment, as in reading a lot about them. But we can talk about that in another thread...
I second that! Knowing nothing about chakras or their colors I would love to see that thread! :D
Ace of Cups: The cat and kittens at the bottom and around them looks to me like tents that have been pitched. Are they dolphins or fish? They look a bit Dr. Seuss characters don't you think?
Dolphins, I think, and yes they DO look a bit Seuss-y. I am not at all sure about the bottom, though. I thought tents at first too but the more I looked at them with my magnifying glass, the less that seemed the answer. But I don't really have a better theory.
Ace of Wands: LOL this card is great. What are those lepricorns up to at the bottom with their hammer and sickle? This card reminds of a really old deck. An Irish theme indeed. We see the three leaf clovers, and what is the naked child doing in the nest half way up. The fact that it's on fire I can't help but relate this card to the element of Fire. As with the Ace of Cups, so much water and shells has to be the element of Water.
Yep, plus the leprechaun at the very bottom is cutting down the tree stump and the handle of his saw is a wooden FISH! I am sure that means something but what? The child in the tree is holding up a green snake in his hands, not a scarf. You know, when you really look at the tree, you can see that the natural tree is "clothed" in wooden boards. I thought at first they were bark but now I can see they are really boards. How odd!
Ace of Coins: Any idea what those plants/flowers in the bottom right and left hand corners? Looks like the child holding the coin is the one from the Ace of Wands. This time blindfolded and the scarf is red, green in the wands ace. The coin itself has so much detail and looks as though it has been earthed or pulled out of the ground. Abundance, fruit trees, cow, man and women, lion etc.
No idea exactly WHAT the flowers at the bottom are but they are very similar to the flowers that are budding from the tree stump in the Ace of Wands. The child could be the same one but if you look at his hands, he is not actually "holding" the coin, his fingers are just extended straight out, touching it. He is probably blindfolded to keep him from seeing the very Baccanalian (sp?) scene above him in the coin. Real little orgy of grapes, treasure and nudity going on up there!
Ace of Swords: When I look from a distance I see the circle at the top looking like olives, lol, but seriously what are those black things? Beautiful wings, makes me think that the card is combined with the element of Air. And Coins with Earth. Snake or serpent. Man and women, Yin and Yang. Balance.
Those are "spades" up at the top, as in modern playing cards, probably the modern echo of the older suit. You know, now I can see that that is why the "heart" is on the cup ace, the three-leaf clovers are the "clubs" on the wands ace and I guess the "diamonds" around the woman's neck and in the treasure chest on the coins ace play the same role.

I agree with all the balance here of the woman holding the lamb and the man holding the infant on the crossbar of the sword; it is also reminiscent of the figures balanced on the swords in the three of swords. The woman hanging upside down at the bottom of the sword reminds me of the World card, especially if you turn the whole card upside down.

All three of the cups, wands and swords aces have yods falling from them as in the RWS decks but I don't know enough about the Kabbalah to be able to comment on them.

All in all, I think we could spend weeks on just the aces and their relationships with each other and other cards.

TemperanceAngel

Dakota said:
I second that! Knowing nothing about chakras or their colors I would love to see that thread! :D

I will start that thread this week sometime....

Yep, plus the leprechaun at the very bottom is cutting down the tree stump and the handle of his saw is a wooden FISH! I am sure that means something but what? The child in the tree is holding up a green snake in his hands, not a scarf. You know, when you really look at the tree, you can see that the natural tree is "clothed" in wooden boards. I thought at first they were bark but now I can see they are really boards. How odd!

Great observations Dakota really great, I never noticed the fish, snake or boards...

Those are "spades" up at the top, as in modern playing cards, probably the modern echo of the older suit. You know, now I can see that that is why the "heart" is on the cup ace, the three-leaf clovers are the "clubs" on the wands ace and I guess the "diamonds" around the woman's neck and in the treasure chest on the coins ace play the same role.

Yeah I get it, wow you are good!

All in all, I think we could spend weeks on just the aces and their relationships with each other and other cards.

So so true, we could probably spend our whole lifetime and more...thanks for joining me in the Scapini study :)

Dakota

I never noticed the fish, snake or boards...

I think all you need here, TA, is a bigger magnifying glass. :D I am working on setting up a table area with a really strong light source for studying these cards. Come to think of it, what I REALLY need is a "Tarot Room". :D

I am looking forward to the chakra thread. I say, unless somebody else weighs in with new revelations, that we ponder the Aces for another couple of days and then move on. I was not at all sure about taking all four Aces together but after I noticed all the interplay between them, I think that might be the way to go: all the 2's, all the 3's etc., since it seems as if Scapini loves these little jokes and echos in his symbolism. :D

TemperanceAngel

Dakota said:

The fish symbolizes the imagination and Christianity. These are the things that I know of.

Snake rebirth and green is harmony and balance. Dakota I keep thinking about your last statement about the natural tree clothed in boards, how wonderful! Protection? Building of something or covering?

And I have forgotten the story of the hammer and sickle, any ideas?

Lady Iron Side

Scapini's Aces

Scapini's Aces give preview of the whole tree of Life.

Scapini includes serpents in all his Aces.

The Tree as a scaffold by which the human spirit can ascend to God.

Kether - images - stand above images, for Malkith - kingdom - the lowest sphere.

In the suit of Cup's Scapini's oplulent fountain for his Ace of cups, his fountain stands on the qlippoth, the "shells" or "Cortices" of evil. Qlippoth are marine shells, crab, scallop, and nautilus.

In the suit of Wands - the wand emblem has "the primordial circle" of kether above "the root" of Malkuth.

In the Suit of Swords - Scapini's Ace of Swords, is especially interesting for its abundance of symmetrical opposites. The contrasts of White and Black, goood and evil, seet and bitter. Kether - cannot be known by the sense of sight. The Sword emblem has "the Crown" of Kether above the "Diadem" of Malkuth.

Morwenna

I noticed that about the Aces too, about their having the modern suits included in the design; only I couldn't figure out Coins/Diamonds, and I still can't see it. Once the Spades leaped out at me, I went looking for the Hearts and Clubs, and they were easy. :)