decks you've fallen MADLY in love with

skinofthesoul

Hey folks,

I'm sure all of you will know what I'm writing about... :cool4: What decks have you fallen madly in love with? So madly that you HAD to have them this instant, spent more money than perhaps necessary or advisable without considering a minute, and danced up and down the whole street for joy when you finally got it?

I mean it's a bit like falling in love with people: there are some love relationships that take time to build, that are also great friendships to a certain extent, and there are some fancies that you have for a while, but they don't last, and all sorts. And rarely (at least for most people I think), you fall in love headfirst, and it's a rollercoaster ride, you set eyes on this person for the first time and nothing is the same ever afterwards. And you know this is someone you'd never ever marry, and you run away with them without thinking for a minute, and you know it cannot last because it's just too much, too wild, and it still makes no difference at all. You know it's a Tower card and you gladly plunge in!!

Ever felt like that with a deck? (Well obviously not quite like that but...) It's happened to me last week, with the Fantastical Tarot. And as often is the case, I'd never have thought it because I don't go for goth stuff at all, it gets on my nerves. I've only had my World Spirit for almost two months, and that was deep love from the start too. It feels so much like a friend, it makes me smile. But this is different. I can't wait for that deck to arrive. I MUST have it. I'll go crazy otherwise! sigh Well, just a couple more days to go...

So, how about you all? I bet you've got stories to tell. Like, who ditched their boyfriend because he said, it's me or that stupid pack of cards?!?!!? })

... patience is a virtue... patience is a virtue...
Anna~

catlin

Hi Anna,
The deck I fell in crazy love with were the Greenwood and the Tarot for cats.

I went after them for ages (and it took quite a while to get them) but then I managed to get my copies of them.

YAY and big thanks to some helpful a.netties!!!

Genna

My Moon Garden and I. Knew I had to have it, waited impatiently, so happy when I finally got it. Then all the trouble and time finally getting the book from my metaphysical store.
Wonderland Tarot. Fell in love with it before I´ve gotten into Tarot or knew where to buy any.
The Fairytale Tarot. How long (it seemed) I waited for that one. Baroque Bohemian Cats. I fell in love when I saw the large Moon card in the calendar I´ve gotten for the pics from Chronatas Midnight Masquerade Tarot.
Chronata´s Midnight Masquerade Tarot that, alas, I haven´t got yet. I´m so impatient for that one.
And finally, but not least; The Faeries´ Oracle by Brian Froud. A lasting love at first sight.
EDIT, i forgot The Fey Tarot. How I waited. And the magic is still there.
EDIT 2; I also remember waiting almost forever for Swedish Witch Tarot Deck to come out as a 78 card deck, after having got it as a 22 Majors only. I kept asking about it, the newspapers wrote about it; nothing happened for ages.

jackdaw*

Chronata's Minute Tarot. Many others I'd dithered over, or had known right away I wanted but taken my time to shop around or think about it, but this was the only one I saw, I PM'd about and I Paypaled for in a VERY short span of time!

Annabelle

Ah yes, I know the feeling! :D

Let's see, decks that have fallen into this category for me are:

The New York Tarot
http://www.tarotpassages.com/newyork.htm

When I was just beginning to collect decks, I ran into a few scans from the New York deck, and fell madly in love. I searched high and low and couldn't find a copy, until a few turned up on eBay. My lack of patience meant that I ended up spending more for my copy than some other Aeclectician's did for theirs, but the money was worth it! I love this deck - the photography is amazing!

The Mountain Dream Tarot
http://www.beanettles.com/tarot/tarotpages/tarotmain.html

Oh my goodness. This one still takes my breath away every time I look through the cards. I bought my 2nd edition copy from a fellow AT subscriber after falling head over heals for it . . . now, if only I could track down a first edition! Those don't come up for sale very often, but I'm constantly looking on eBay for one.

Tarot ReVISIONed
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/revisioned/

Oh wow....this one just blows my mind. There's just so much detail in these cards, and the art is soooooo beautiful! From the first moment that I saw online scans, I knew that I had to have a copy. These cards are FABULOUS for meditation, too.

Chronata's Minute Tarot
http://www.ste4fun.com/RobynPage/

Ever since Chronata began posting pictures of her Minute deck in the Deck Creation forum, I knew it was a deck I had to have! And I've never regretted buying it, not for a second. The art and the colors are just so vibrant, so full of energy, so lovely - this remains one of my most favorite artist-published decks.

. . . and there are other decks, too, that I've fallen head over heels for on first sight, but by and large, I often don't really fall for a deck until after I've bought it. As a collector, I recognize that I'm often taken risks when I buy decks. I won't buy something I don't like the looks of, but it's never until I unwrap a deck and look through it that I truly decide whether I like it, love it, or hate it. The decks I've listed above are exceptions . . . they looked great online and they look great in person, and they were all worth every penny I paid :).

Bat Chicken

These are the ones that I got the minute I first heard about them and connected with them immediately when I opened them:
DruidCraft Tarot
Mary-el Tarot (the Emperor..... oh my!)
Tarot of Dreams

I just ordered the Archeon Tarot and the Faeries Oracle. Like Annabelle4, I buy a deck because I like the look of it - but it's when I get it in my hands that makes it a favorite. The Faeries Oracle was an exception - I found the art lovely, but alien to me and I would never have bought it - until a friend lent me her deck. I was overwhelmed by the feeling the cards gave me and ordered my deck right away! :)

a_shikhs

I simply love my Faeries Oracle.. It was love at first sight.. :love: I tried really hard to get it and was obsessed with it... Its still a miracle how i got that deck... All thanks to our lovely Tabbycat for making my xmas so very special....:* :)

I am waiting for the Fairytale tarot and loved it the moment i laid my eyes on it.. Waiting for it to come now... :D

Citrin

The RWS. :) I remember being so short of money that month and I still HAD to buy it!

Tarocco delle Vetrate. Took a long time for me to get my hands on this (no credit card urgh!), but when it finally arrived thanks to a lovely trade here, WOW. It was love, despite us not speaking the same language (pip cards!). Hehe.

Fantastical. Didn't care much for the Internet scans, but when I looked at it in an esoteric store. *Sigh* it really pulled me in instantly. It feels so alive!

My other decks I kind of fell more slowly in love with, but now I feel they all have special magic. ;)

Sophie

There are three decks I fell in love with at first sight, and still love dearly.

The Mythic Tarot - it was used by a reader I went to see. I bought it the very same afternoon and it remained my constant companion for 5 years. It's my most battered deck and it has seen everything I saw, been read with at the back of jeeps and in bomb shelters, reassured me when I was scared and gave me good hints when things got dangerous.

The Tarot of Prague - I saw scans on the internet and fell for it. I ordered it straightaway from baba-prague's online shop and when it arrived sent her long gushing PMs ;) It's my favourite deck for many types of readings, including political and emotional.

The Haindl. That one was odd. I'd seen it on facade.com for years and kept choosing it, but never thought of buying it. Then an opportunity for a trade came up on AT...As soon as I held those cards in my hands I knew it was Love.

I've settled into happy long-term relationships with all three of these.

Netzach

Tarot of Dreams - madly in love with it. The artwork is simply stunning.

I think I'm also in the process of falling in love with Leo62 & 78th Fool's quantum tarot - the Death card is breathtaking.